Nissan Titan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
just FYI, 275/70 R18's will fit without having to do this mod, OR lift it!

can you add that to your first post?

·
Registered
30 Posts
im planning on getting 17x10 -12 offset diamo rims for my truck will i need to do this mod also im using 285 70 r 17 bfg tires

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Mine doesn't look anything like the original picture.

Looks like there's a bolt sticking out with a bunch of goop on it. Grinded it down anyways.
the bolt is the pinch weld, hence the term "pinch weld". thats the part you cut off.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't forget to remove the fender liners before doing this.:D

Alot of peoples have done it, I don't recalling anybody's truck falling apart driving down the road, I guess it's false.:D
If I'm not mistaken, the cut begins right below the screw that holds up the mud guards right? The part that is rubbing is right at the screw. Only when I turn hard in one direction. This is a good mod to know. Thanks

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
ok so with just the pinch weld mod and a 2inch leveling kit i could fit 35x12.50x18 on my 05 4wd titan
... and with stock wheels or aftermarket 8" width wheels with backspacing 5.5", (stock), or greater, like 5.79".

·
Registered
133 Posts
does anyone have before/after pics so we know where to cut? I saw a pics earlier with a bolt...then some say cut that out...it would be helpful

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Note: This was necessary with aftermarket rims (17x8 4.5" backspacing), and 34" LT305/70R17 tires. My current setup, wouldn't have needed it.

If you look close, I drew where the screw was, sort of. The blue line is the pinch weld mod, the black is additional cutting I needed behind the mud guards.

Btw, mine wasn't welded. Just 4 layers of sheet metal glued together, and held together with the screw. The nut was welded to the other side. I think they were there just for the glue to dry ... used as a clamp. Be sure to spray paint the cut edges when you're done, and if you live in a road salt area check them as appropriate.

Note: Get your fender liners back on ASAP, at least the driver's side. My Titan sucked water into the air filter just driving in the rain with it off ... and it was small puddles at the most on that day!

Looking down from the top of the tire, towards the back of the drivers' side front wheel well.

Here's a copy of Post #2 of this thread.
Tools:
sawzall

Step 1. plug in sawzall

Step 2. Cut here
kartman's Pinch Weld Mod:

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
okay....so that screw really isnt important. did you guys notice that you had to go back and make addt'l cuts or was it pretty much 1 and done? I think after I cut, I am going to be some jb weld putty in there, let it dry then spray with the bedliner stuff...

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I had to make a couple of passes because I was being conservative at first, wanting to take off the minimum required. Went through 3 or 4 new but cheap metal blades, maybe because of all the layers or the glue. I did let the saw do the work instead of forcing it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I used a Die Grinder.

So did you guys cut the spot with the bolt? I left mine on. Now I'm finding I'm still rubbing but it's on the front.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mine doesn't look anything like the original picture.

Looks like there's a bolt sticking out with a bunch of goop on it. Grinded it down anyways.
Mine looks the same way... weird... I'm just waiting on rims than I'ma put my 35s on ... Than I'll see if I have to do this mod

·
Registered
740 Posts
Would a dremel tool work ok for this?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I just put 275/70-18's on mine with 18" rims on a 4.5 backspace and my tires rub. It seems like it rubs worse on the driver's side than on the passenger side.
9" width rims, (I'm assuming), with 4.5" BS stick out 2" more than stock, so will often rub with 33's, even with a leveling kit.

Stock 18x8" rims have 5.5" backspacing, (and I would guess FlyBoy was running stock rims), and he could probably have cleared a 33.7" LT305/65R18, if leveled.

The caster alignment probably differs between your driver's side and passenger side.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Done. First 2 is before and after pass. Didn't get before in driver, but have after. Ready for tires on wed.

Sent from Goree's iPhone using Autoguide

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
So I have a 6" Fabtech lift and just went from 315/70/17 to 35x12.5 and am rubbing. From what I figured my rims possibly have zero offset.
But mine are rubbing in a bit different spot and my fender also looks different than some of the pics.

It is hitting the bottom part of the fender (you can see the damage in this last pic) but clears the are where the pinch weld is supposed to be. Mine almost looks like it's already tapered down in that area. I'm going to pound on the fender a bit to get it to clear.

Passenger side front rub, already broke the mounts and fender well, need to rig something up.

Passenger side Pinch weld area, all clear!

41 - 60 of 72 Posts