Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just threw in a single din Alpine to get me by 'til I get a 7" LCD, and while searching I found this install using tinted plexi (lexan...whatever) as the faceplate.

This looks way better than the lame-looking Metra chassis that my deck is in now.

Where can I get a sheet of this? Is the best way to cut it via jigsaw I assume?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
kgMoto said:
I just threw in a single din Alpine to get me by 'til I get a 7" LCD, and while searching I found this install using tinted plexi (lexan...whatever) as the faceplate.

This looks way better than the lame-looking Metra chassis that my deck is in now.

Thanks.

Jigsaw is not the best way at all. Router is about the only way.

www.selectproducts.com

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Looks good to me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh - I've never worked with a router actually (I have a huge arsenal of hand tools & power tools, but never had a need for a router).

I think a buddy of mine has one, if not I have another good excuse to buy another tool.

Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume there is a special type of bit to use for the plexi? The only thing I can find on that site you referred is a $758.00 set of 10 bits!

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
kgMoto said:
I assume there is a special type of bit to use for the plexi? The only thing I can find on that site you referred is a $758.00 set of 10 bits!

just a flush trim bit from Lowes works fine. But you will need to go slow .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Now if there were guages behind it... temp, voltage, battery, etc... that would be bad ***.

·
Registered
300 Posts
kgMoto said:

Thanks.
I agree! Metra kits suck!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I hate my metra too, but what is the HU acrualy mounted to in this case?

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
I hate my metra too, but what is the HU acrualy mounted to in this case?
Either factory mounting brackets or an aftermarket Kit they just placed the lexan over the kit I would imagine

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your faceplate will hide your cutting you'll be in good shape. You need to cut lexan slowly to prevent melting it. You can use a dremel and cutoff wheels but you have to proceed slowly and then you will still have some melting. It's good to have a set of needle files handy to clean up your cut. Don't peel off the protective paper until the install is done if possible.

Drilling it can also be tricky. There are special bits made to drill the stuff. They more or less grind the material away rather than cut it. Some have had good results using a normal bit in reverse. If you do some googling you can find articles on how to mod a regular twist bit to be more friendly with lexan.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A buddy of mine has a router, so I'm covered there. i would not buy one just for this, especially since it is a fairly temporary effort until I get a double din deck.

But I like doing this kind of stuff when i can, so I thought it would be interesting to try to work with a new tool (router) and material (lexan).

As far as mounting, in this case, he used the factory brackets.

and yeah, the faceplate and bezel cover up the lexan's edges, so accuracy and the "perfect cut" aren't 100% necessary here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts