Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the '08 Titan that has the throttle hesitation problem. I am taking it to the dealer for a checkup. The truck has 2200 miles on it. I have never been able to break the tires loose on straight dry pavement from a complete stop. When I WOT both back tires chirp and it lauches leaving two faint black streaks for about 25 feet or so. In wet weather it fish tails like crazy, proving both rear tires are spinning. Others on the forum say they can light up the tires from a dead stop. I looked at some YouTube Titan burnout videos and only the right rear tire was spinning (only one dark black mark from right rear). Did they go to a limited slip rear end on the '08? If so, is this why the truck can't do a burnout?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I have never been able to break the tires loose on straight dry pavement from a complete stop. When I WOT both back tires chirp and it lauches leaving two faint black streaks for about 25 feet or so.
No breaking loose but leaving black streaks? Sounds like they're spinning, just not making much noise...

You can have both wheels spinning with out a LS diff, it happens to a lot of vehs. Mine will do it sometimes, and other times, no go just spin the r/r...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The black streaks were real faint, like the tires were biting really hard but were not spinning. It really snapped your neck back this afternoon when I did it. Sometimes it would bite hard then bog down for about 1 second and then pull hard again. Getting fuel pump checked next week. This is a new truck and not sure what changed from previous years. Maybe should have bought the '07 and got the 5000 cash back, lol.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Noticed this after I installed osiris uprev.Guess I just never noticd it before.Mine is pretty wierd. somtimes when i hit it from dead stop and only 1 spins. Very rarely both. When I go sharp on a turn from a stop and smoke them only 1 spins and Somtimes it feels like the other is wanting to spin to or something because it jumps/skips after I straighten up and start to go faster. When I was in the grass the other day I hit it and both were spinning..Clueless..Is it because the other one will only kick in if the 1 is spinning so fast or something lol

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Remember, you likely still have ABLS kicking in, braking, and allowing both tires to spin very lightly. True LSD is only available with the Truetrac, an aftermarket install. 08 is beefier, but still same basic design. An open rear.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
ABLS or the traction control is what I was wondering about too! Do you have that?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
TitanBlue said:
Remember, you likely still have ABLS kicking in, braking, and allowing both tires to spin very lightly. True LSD is only available with the Truetrac, an aftermarket install. 08 is beefier, but still same basic design. An open rear.
This is exactly correct...still no factory limited slip in ANY Titan. Getting both to spin with an open diff depends solely on conditions, and can even be affected by weight in the truck (such as a full tank of gas versus almost empty), dust on the road, air pressure in the rears, and a host of other things. I can get both of mine to spin sometimes in the rain too, and it fishtails like crazy.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
On my dirt road everytime I floor it it leaves 2 marks, but on pavement it rarely leaves 2 marks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an 08 XE, if I go WOT from a dead stop I may get a slight chirp. Some road it doesn't chirp at all. I get very little power until 20+mph then it picks up. It is not a traction control issue, it is like a low tourqe issue. Maybe it is being retarded on purpose but it is annoying not to be able to use the power.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You guys don’t have a VDC button on the dash? (below the heater controls)

It cuts the throttle until there is enough traction so the tires won’t spin. When I turn VDC off my truck spins the tires like crazy!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
lowlypawn said:
Wow that’s strange, I have “Tow Mode” and “VDC OFF” (and a 3rd button that’s blank). I’d be pissed if I couldn’t turn it off…
Not all Titans have VDC, I think its part of the tow package and a stand alone option. I don't have it either, just one button down under the HVAC controls.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
jaho1979 said:
Not all Titans have VDC, I think its part of the tow package and a stand alone option. I don't have it either, just one button down under the HVAC controls.
I have the tow package, and I don't have VDC. It must be some other package.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A friend of mine who has driven a titan in the past was so excited to buy a new 08 and has been working prices for the last 2 weeks with dealers. Finally had the price he wanted and went to buy the truck today. Well he went for a test drive and decided not to buy it because of the lack of power. He always talks about how titans will light the tires up and the 08s simply do not have the low end power the previous years did.

This seems like something Nissan would want to prevent from happening loss of sales due to lack of low end power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts