Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i have an 06 titan xe 2x4. i have about 35000 miles on it now and ive noticed sum slack in my drivetrain somewhere.. its actually been doing it for a long time. but it seems to be getting worse. you can feel it when you first take off and when you come to a stop... its kinda hard to explain but it almost feels like there is slack in the ring and pinion or smthing.... any help or info would be much apreciated.....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
disregard this post. sorry guys. after i posted it i saw the other thread about the same problem...

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
You're perfectly describing the symptoms of axle wrap. There are 3 solutions to reduce or eliminate it. The least expensive is the reverse mounted helper springs for $25, then the Hellwig traction springs at $80, and finally traction bars at $250ish.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea thats what ive read. but ive also read where some guys have gotn there complete driveshafts replaced and it solved the problem... but idk.. im also havn the " judder brake" problem.. i called my dealer and they said all they could do is mike the rotors and see if they need to be turned... and if so they would turn them.. thats all.. sounds like bs to me........

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also what is that Autoenginuity/enhanced Nissan software???

·
Registered
21 Posts
do not let the dealership feed you that BS..... there is at least one...maybe more TSBs on the brake judder. peeps around here should be able to point you toward a link so you can print them up and take them to the dealer with you...thats what i did when i had the brake issue.
if you cant get the info here, try c l u b t i t a n . o r g (w/o the spaces).
good luck,
MIKEY

:gunz: :gunz:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info man... how do you like the volant cai system?? ive been tryn to decide which setup to go with.. ive heard that volant is about the best.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I only have approximately 1200 miles on my 07 SE and noticed a similar issue. I asked the dealer and was told this is the differential and all of the titans have some play in them. Was not really satisfied with the answer but don't know what more I might do to get the dealer to do anything.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i here ya man.. i hav about 36000 miles on mine. i first noticed it not long after i bought it brand new.. but i didnt think much about it.. my dealer said it was normal but i think thats bs!! a new truck shouldnt have that kinda play in the rearend... im not very pleased with the way nissan is handln the problem.. seems like there just beatn around the bush.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Checkout the posting regarding the helper springs and bump bump feeling the helpwer springs seem to solve the problem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Can anyone see the pics in the link from the Sticky to this post ??

1.) Axle Wrap. (Explanation and Solution)
(Contributed by JetTech)
<LINK>

I have this problem too & sure would like to see what JetTech bought & how he installed them !!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
there are several different posts regarding this issue JT's recommends using helper springs from auto zone or pep boys, another recommends Hellwig traction springs, and yet another recoomends doing a comination of both. if you search "drivetrain" or "helper springs" all of these will/should pop for you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is my situation:

2006 XE 4x4. I had the diff replaced about 3 months ago because of excessive slack in the rear. My gripe was the noise I hear when putting the truck into drive or reverse. Also the clunk when I am running 65+ in cruise control and hit the brake pedal or cancel. They found the rear to be out of tolerance and replaced it. It really never changed and so I took it back. The tech talked with the tech support for awhile and they have determined the transfer case is the culprit. I will keep you all informed.

I am on a new transfer case and my 3rd axle. My truck has been in and out of the dealership now for the past month while they try and iron it out. A chassis engineer is coming in from Nissan next week to look at my truck. I will keep you all posted. By the way my dealership here in TN. is absolutely the best when it comes to trying to solve this problem. I could not ask for any better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just lifted my 06' and put new shoes on it and I have the same problem. I noticed it before the lift, but didnt think much about it. I thought I left some bolts loose or something, but I went over everything new on the lift and its still there. I have a mechanic friend of mine that is going to check it out for me before I go to the dealer. I hope the lift doesnt screw me with the dealer. I will post after. Good luck to all with theirs!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
a buddy of mine called me wjile driving because he was feeling like there was slack when barely getting on the gas (soft) from a dead stop. (he is stock susp + leveling spacers), i started to feel the same thing the next day. The wierd thing was that we both came to the conclusion that it was after being in traffic on very hot days. It doest do it when its cool out. Do you think this is different than axel wrap? mean niether of us were getting on it hard, just ideling away and pressing the pedel .so far i think the stock nissan J matic trans fluid may just be junk and is breaking down in the heat. Let me know your thoughts (this happed the day before i lowered my truck and after)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine does the same thing and the dealer stated that they "all " do it and balmed it on the differential? Don't know for sure but I would really lke to get a balck and white answer as to the casue because it is just plain anoying...:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm going to pay closer attention and see if I can isolate it to a particular time then go from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't know if it is even a similar problem or not but years ago Chevrolet had a similar problem with their pickups and the "slop" feeling was actually the drive shaft sliding a little back and forth in the tail section of the tranny when stopping and starting. The remedy was to put grease on the inside of the splines on the drive shaft where it goes into the transmission so that it slid smoothly instead of jerking around. I assume it would stick and then under acceleration or deceleration it would pop loose and slide to the other end of its travel and cause that feeling that there was some slop. I had a Chevrolet at the time and it did help that problem. I have had the same sort of feeling mainly when coming to a stop in my new Titan and have thought about trying the grease thing on this truck - however, I haven't even looked under the truck to see if I would even be able to do it on the Titan. Maybe worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts