Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 titan ihas been a great truck. Up until recently, and still to date the transmissions shifts just perfectly. The problem I'm having is when I shift out of park in to either reverse or drive it slams into gear pretty hard sometimes. Anybody?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Your question begs more answers. How many miles are on this Titan and how long ago was the tranny fluid changed? What kind of lubricant are you using and what's the level and condition look like?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
170,000 miles, had the dealer do a fluid exchange for the transmission, level is good condition is good

·
Registered
870 Posts
Check your transmission mount maybe it torn and at rear hanging a bit but once you get going it is ok. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
What noel55 said ,,, at 170 thousand your trans mounts are toast and probably your motor mounts as well.

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
"The problem I'm having is when I shift out of park in to either reverse or drive it slams into gear pretty hard sometimes."

Try setting your parking brake before you put it in park, so you're not loading the parking pawl in the tranny to hold the truck.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have an 04 also 239 thousand your trans mount might look good but the clunking sound going in gear is a sure sign it's bad. I bought a PRG brand mount no Problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Motor mounts and u joints are both fine , I think its internal with the electrical. Like solenoids.
You see, I can go and drive it and it shift beautifully, no problem what so ever, but then say I go to do a 3 point turn around, I'll put it in reverse and slam....and quite often it will slam going back into drive. Very seldomly it wont slam. but reverse always seems to slam no matter what scenario

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 194,000 on my 05 and mine did the same thing about 20,000 miles ago. I noticed my parking brake wasn't holding as well as it usually did, but I didn't think the two issues were related. Once I tightened my parking brake the clunk/slam into gear stopped. Mine issue would only happen after the truck had been parked

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have 194,000 on my 05 and mine did the same thing about 20,000 miles ago. I noticed my parking brake wasn't holding as well as it usually did, but I didn't think the two issues were related. Once I tightened my parking brake the clunk/slam into gear stopped. Mine issue would only happen after the truck had been parked
Interesting, so how tight did you adjust your parking brake?

·
Registered
14 Posts
In a pinch I tightened the adjustment screw right by the pedal about half way down. It got to the point where when I was parked on even the slightest incline and had the parking brake on it would creak and start to slowly stutter down the incline when in neutral. I really need to adjust the parking brake at the parking brake pads itself

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an 05 with 265k mine had a slight clunk when first going into forward or reverse. I know you're tired of looking at mounts, but mine was the Mid-ship bearing MOUNT on the drive shaft. That rubber boot/mount around the bearing was shot.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have an 05 with 265k mine had a slight clunk when first going into forward or reverse. I know you're tired of looking at mounts, but mine was the Mid-ship bearing MOUNT on the drive shaft. That rubber boot/mount around the bearing was shot.
You mean the front carrier bearing seal? If so mine is leaking and I have been having a slip feel time to time with gear knock with up and down shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts