Nissan Titan Forum banner

Slick 50?

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  TitanBlue 
#1 ·
Have any of you used slick 50 treatment? I was recently talking to a guy who owns an 04 LE CC who said he switched to QS synth w/ Slick 50 additive in it and his local MPG jumped from 12-13 up to 15-16. I know a few other people who swear by the stuff. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

#4 ·
Are you familiar with the term 'Snake Oil'? Do you really believe the gas mileage went up 20% from an oil additive? If there was a substance that could be put in oil that verifiably raised gas mileage 2%, much less 20%, don't you think it would be national news?

#5 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I've heard nothing but bad things about Slick50! Anything that sticks around for the life of the engine has to cause sludge problems. No way!
I agree, I have seen a couple instances where it has been traced to blocking oil passages and causing bearing failure.

#6 ·
To some degree you have a point. However, there are exceptions. Ever hear of Marble Mystery Oil? Sure brought my 150,000 mile Honda Civic to life. I have to agree with the snake oil syndrome, but once in a while, someone actually hits on a decent idea. When you think about what Slick does, how can it be bad? It maintains a constant layer of protection on the inside of your engine so that at start-up, when no oil is circulated, which is proven to be the worst thing for an engine, you have a somewhat permanent lubrication. Not to mention, when you first change the oil, don't you feel your truck is a little peepier? Don't you think it runs just a tick better? How bad can constant lubrication be if it does that after an oil change?

#8 ·
No whining though BB !!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
Tough crowd... And here I thought my premium status put me above whore bashing! Wait.... that amplifies it, no? I have to reread my rulebook... :read:

#11 ·
Blackbeauty said:
To some degree you have a point. However, there are exceptions. Ever hear of Marble Mystery Oil? Sure brought my 150,000 mile Honda Civic to life. I have to agree with the snake oil syndrome, but once in a while, someone actually hits on a decent idea. When you think about what Slick does, how can it be bad? It maintains a constant layer of protection on the inside of your engine so that at start-up, when no oil is circulated, which is proven to be the worst thing for an engine, you have a somewhat permanent lubrication. Not to mention, when you first change the oil, don't you feel your truck is a little peepier? Don't you think it runs just a tick better? How bad can constant lubrication be if it does that after an oil change?
Sludge. That's what worries me....and is the reason I use only synthetic oil in all my cars. If Slick50 was such a miracle, all manufacturers would be using it to gain a couple HP. The cap on the engine says "OIL". That's all it needs IMHO.

#12 ·
My understanding is that the main active ingredient in Slick 50 is Teflon. It coats your engine with Teflon, DuPont says Teflon is not intended for use inside an engine and does not endorse the practice of Slick 50 and its application. They show a nice test on their old TV Ads, but that is not a complete study of long term and varied criteria of its safety. Why do we need it? If you use name brand oil and change it and filter it, you really don't need more. Engine failures from oil is usually from the owner skipping the recommended service intervals. I use M1 solely because it will give a slightly better protection if a coolant hose ever blew or my water pump failed. It is cheap insurance. 20% better mileage, be for real! :) That would solve all of GM's mileage whoas vs Toyota! LOL.

#14 ·
Very interesting read, Best. Thanks. I hadn't heard that. And I take it from the allegations and court orders, no substantiated proof was ever forwarded by Slick 50 to prove any of their claims? Interesting. Glad I brought it up. Thanks again.

#17 ·
Shortly after I added Slick 50 in the manual transmission of a previous vehicle, I ran into a problem with 3rd and 4th gear. When I drained the transmission to add new oil, my magnetic drain plug had a bunch of small spring fragments stuck to it. The Slick 50 concept seems to make sense on paper, but there is other information that shows how additives inhibit the lubrication process.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

#18 ·
Blackbeauty said:
If you believe that, then you are definetely in the Slick 50 target market.

#19 ·
todd92 said:
If you believe that, then you are definetely in the Slick 50 target market.
I'd like to believe it! And it runs better when it is clean too! :) I always hoped, but am sure it is not. Friction shouldn't change that much i wouldn't think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.