Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steady rain outside today so far, drove my 07 titan Le to the store, few minutes my slip light came on, stayed on. When I left, restart the truck, no light, but in 4 minutes the slip light came on. Once home I checked brake fluid, it's at the minumin line,ok? Drove again, light came on, immediately shut off and restart, it was off, went home. Going home, I noticed when I hit the brakes, the brake light would come on and go off, if I just touch the brakes, no light, but when I hit the brakes, normal stop, the light came on, doesn't stay on. This all started this morning, with this nasty steady rain from storm. What's my truck telling me? I have looked at some threads, I get confused. Truck feels safe, stops good. Did notice 1 -2 times it felt like truck kicked down, when slowing down, like approaching a red light, nothing bone jarring, maybe just me. Weird how all of a sudden it seems like this or that happens you seem to feel everything. Looking in manual, ABLS and VDC, I don't really understand all that. Sorry for the book, just wanted to get all out. Thanks for any advice or where to look. Thank you, jjfw

·
Registered
456 Posts
If your brake fluid is reading low you may need new pads and possibly rotors. I got all 4 of mine on ebay for 240$. Cross drilled slotted rotors with ceramic pads. My brake fluid read minimum, I removed the cap from the reservoir and gently compressed each caliper with a c clamp and swapped out my rotors and pads. When I was finished with all 4 corners my fluid was at the full mark. You could also have something electrical going on.

Reactions: jfw831

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm finding out light comes on different times, just rode up to chester , light came on in 8 minutes, coming back, it came on in 26 minutes, seems when I use my brakes more, the sooner light comes on. That 26 minutes was all hiway till the end. The brake light starts to come on then also, only after I release the brakes, about 3 seconds it goes out, till I brake, at a near complete stop, no light when I just touch,,lightly. Going by previous owner records, rear brakes have 29,451, front have 17,283 miles, both sets of rotors where turned. Will have to get my nephew to look. The brake fluid, should be higher? it's on the minimum line. While back, month or two, had to come to a hard stop, front like shudder when braking, could feel it in the steering wheel. Guys, I am no mechanic, and want to avoid the dealership. I do maintain the truck, ALL fluids changed, All. So hopefully I can break this down. The weather here is terrible right now, in Delaware. Again, soory for the book write up. Thanks all, jfw831.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
The shudder was the ABS kicking in.
Top off your fluid.
If that doesn't do it, it is a rear wheel speed sensor or one of the pressure switches on the master cylinder.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, will top off fluid. Only felt that rumble like feeling that 1 time. Never had to stop hard. Could of swore the last time I looked at brake fluid, it was near full, maybe a few weeks ago, memory not to good. But thanks, I have a start. Brakes don't make any squeal noise, was listening hard for some type of noise. none. rainy and cold damp day here. Thsnks jfw.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same thing happened to my T - I have a 2011 Pro-4X - drove me crazy thinking that it was serious - but it turned out to be the sensor - had it replaced and all was well - not sure if this helps

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all info helps. hopefully weather is bit better saturday, pour a little brake fluid up to max. line. see what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
went to auto store, again the slip light came on,and then on and off the word BRAKE came on and off, when brakes where applied and released. Purchased dot 3 fluid and filled to right below max, from the min. line. Drove for about 1/2 hour, stop and go, and a few hard stop's. No slip or brake light came on. It wasn't much fluid, but enough to let me know. My thoughts are, where did this fluid go? I checked, no leaks, wet spots, nothing. anyway, Thanks to all for your information, learned and stored the info, especially the sensors to each brake system. This site has taught me alot. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
went to auto store, again the slip light came on,and then on and off the word BRAKE came on and off, when brakes where applied and released. Purchased dot 3 fluid and filled to right below max, from the min. line. Drove for about 1/2 hour, stop and go, and a few hard stop's. No slip or brake light came on. It wasn't much fluid, but enough to let me know. My thoughts are, where did this fluid go? I checked, no leaks, wet spots, nothing. anyway, Thanks to all for your information, learned and stored the info, especially the sensors to each brake system. This site has taught me alot. Thanks!!!!
To answer where the fluid went,as your pads and rotors wear down your caliper pistons push out a little more each time and your fluid just fills the void in the brake system so that the pads are always slightly touching the rotors. usually if there is a leak in the brake system you know because the brake pedal goes to the floor and you have little to no stopping power.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, I figured something like that, but I was just speculating. But I've replaced the pads on the 08 jeep, never, had to add anything till they where bled. But Thanks, I appreciate all. THANK YOU!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts