Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I had the SLIP indicator coming on for a week or so (came on and stayed on after the first mile or 2). It was accompanied by an intermittant tapping sound from somewhere under the truck (sounded like someone dropping a plastic cup...)
Then, the next week, Bam...Lost the rear end.

The truck was in the shop all last week (had some other stuff to do, like the recall...) then got a call saying the rear end was replaced and she's ready to go. I picked it up last night and on the way home, the tap is still there, and the SLIP light came on. Back to the dealer for me...

I called the dealer today, and they said that the SLIP light was coming on because of a problem in the taillights. :huh:

I think the SLIP light has something to do with the speed sensor in the rear end for the ABLS, how can I convince the dealer that they f'ed up the repair?

Or, do you think the whole thing is just coincidence? (BTW, the brake fluid level is fine) If I blow this new rear, its time for :gunz:

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
JerZTiTaN said:
Hi All,

I had the SLIP indicator coming on for a week or so (came on and stayed on after the first mile or 2). It was accompanied by an intermittant tapping sound from somewhere under the truck (sounded like someone dropping a plastic cup...)
Then, the next week, Bam...Lost the rear end.

The truck was in the shop all last week (had some other stuff to do, like the recall...) then got a call saying the rear end was replaced and she's ready to go. I picked it up last night and on the way home, the tap is still there, and the SLIP light came on. Back to the dealer for me...

I called the dealer today, and they said that the SLIP light was coming on because of a problem in the taillights. :huh:

I think the SLIP light has something to do with the speed sensor in the rear end for the ABLS, how can I convince the dealer that they f'ed up the repair?

Or, do you think the whole thing is just coincidence? (BTW, the brake fluid level is fine) If I blow this new rear, its time for :gunz:
The slip light can come on for a number of reasons, but none of them indicate a failure of the rear end. The slip light basically just reads information from the abs system. The light can come on because of some switches mounted on the master cylinder. They had a lot of the switches on the master cylinder fail, that is what caused my slip light to stay on. If it were a wheel sensor you would propably have a abs light on also. The slip light does NOT monitor anything inside the rear end assembly. I don't think the tail lights have anything to do with the slip light. As for as the tap I don't have a clue without a lot more info.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
helomech said:
The slip light can come on for a number of reasons, but none of them indicate a failure of the rear end.
It just seems strange that the two happened at the same time. Either way, I think they are waaaay off with the tail lights. I can't begin to imagine how the ABLS would be linked to the tail lights.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
JerZTiTaN said:
It just seems strange that the two happened at the same time. Either way, I think they are waaaay off with the tail lights. I can't begin to imagine how the ABLS would be linked to the tail lights.
Yes I think they are way off on the tail lights also. If you have the e-locker, then there is one cannon plug on your rear end, if not you don't have any wires going into the rear end. The wire on the locker doesn't monitor anything going on insde of the gears. It is a little strange that they both happened at the same time, but there is no way for the truck to monitor if the rearend is about to fail. When mine failed, I had no indication. I was changing the rearend fluid, and found to metal chunks on the drain plug.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just a long shot, but could it be a locker problem? Might explain the tapping...
Anyway, it's in the dealer's hands now, hopefully they'll fix it this time.

On the plus side, I had NO hassle from the dealer about covering it under warranty. The service guy just said, "oh, another rear end..." to his fellows, and that was that.

I'll keep you all posted...

--P.S.- When I was driving it home after the repair, it felt like the trans was downshifting too soon. Is this possible, or am I just paranoid? --

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
JerZTiTaN said:
Just a long shot, but could it be a locker problem? Might explain the tapping...
Anyway, it's in the dealer's hands now, hopefully they'll fix it this time.

On the plus side, I had NO hassle from the dealer about covering it under warranty. The service guy just said, "oh, another rear end..." to his fellows, and that was that.

I'll keep you all posted...

--P.S.- When I was driving it home after the repair, it felt like the trans was downshifting too soon. Is this possible, or am I just paranoid? --
I don't think it would be anything in the rear, since the rear was replaced. It could be a universal joint, or something loose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got my truck back. The SLIP light is gone, the noise is much less frequent (but still occurring occasionally), and the rear end's all better. The dealer still stuck with their first diagnosis of "Short circuit in the taillights."

I never heard of that, but as long as its gone.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts