Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when I was checking out the new Tundra's one of the salesmen knocked the Titan slotted rear differential but I'm not sure why.
My brother-in-law said the slotted rear differential helps keep it cooler and this is an advantage over the enclosed rear differntial covers.
Is this true, and if so, why wouldn't all manufacturers want to do the same thing?
thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cost.... that is the bottom line. Yes it is there for heat disapation. It could be some rearends just don't need the extra cooling also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just read somewhere that the Titan rear end is the same size as the Nissan Frontier.
Is that true??
Thanks

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Sounds like the Tundra sales man was reading from his talking points list.
The Titan started out with a solid cover and 75-90 dino oil.Nissan found out that didn't do the job, so switched to 75-90 synthetic oil. Nissan found out that didn't do the job so switched to a finned cover and 75-140 synthetic oil.
The Titan has a ring gear that is 2" smaller and the diff holds a little over 2 quarts of oil.
Nissan had to do something to in an attempt to keep the oil/diff cooler that is why they made the changes.
The Tundra diff hold 4 quarts of oil, nearly double the capacity of the the Titan.
To answer your question as to why other manufactures don't use a finned cover, the answer is that they don't have to. They use a diff that has a larger ring gear and a larger oil capacity to match the needs of a truck.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
I doubt that the sales man even knows of any problems. Of the 4 Tundra forums I belong to there has been a grand total of one cam shaft failure.
He got a new engine, Toyota made his payments while the engine is being installed and they gave him a 7 year/ $0 deductible/100k warranty.
Toyota has narrowed the problems to 40-50 engines and is sending letters to those owners so that they can arrange to get a new engine, even if theirs has not failed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
skyhammer said:
....He got a new engine, Toyota made his payments while the engine is being installed and they gave him a 7 year/ $0 deductible/100k warranty.
Toyota has narrowed the problems to 40-50 engines and is sending letters to those owners so that they can arrange to get a new engine, even if theirs has not failed.
Good business! Toyota isn't on top because of luck.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
skyhammer said:
I doubt that the sales man even knows of any problems. Of the 4 Tundra forums I belong to there has been a grand total of one cam shaft failure.
He got a new engine, Toyota made his payments while the engine is being installed and they gave him a 7 year/ $0 deductible/100k warranty.

man your mind is being corrupt by the toyotas!! be careful or you may end up one of them :domohit: oh no wait... you are one of them!!

oops... finned cover makes it cooler so it doesn't explode lol

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Here's my opinion on the finned cover: a bandaid fix for our tiny rear ends

1 - 12 of 12 Posts