Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Titan 125k with the 2* timing advance, 3" straight exhaust, high flow cats, modded airbox, k&n, and maybe some other stuff here or there I'm forgetting. I've been having issues with it being slow to start since around June of 2010. It ACTS like the battery is weak, but the connections are all good, and the battery is full charged. I even tried swapping another known good battery and it didn't help with it being slow to start. Some mornings the truck spins over great and fires within a few seconds, others it spins over slow and won't crank at all till the 3rd or 4th time trying to turn it over. Even with a brand new battery it does the same thing, spins over slow some times and fast others. I've even went as far as to replace all the battery connections. Everything is stock electrical with the exception of a 7" Alpine fold out monitor, it's wired for a system but no system is in it and the fuse is out. Starting about 3 weeks ago I went to leave to haul some stuff for a friend of mine and it acted like the battery was dead (clicking and all), checked the battery and it checked out 12v, waited a second and the truck spun over fine but wouldn't crank. Tried this 3 or 4 times spinning over as fast as ever, showing good voltage, but no start. Eventually it started and ran fine. Was probably 2 weeks before it did it again like that (although slow to start everytime I try to drive it), and this time it spun over fine and wouldn't start. Tried again, same thing. Tried again, and it finally started. This morning I was trying to go to work and it's doing it again, but now won't start at all? It spun over strong 3 or 4 times, and now it's draining the battery trying to start.

Cliff notes:
-Slow to start, even with a known good or new battery
-All new battery connections
-Stock electrical
-Sometimes it spins over fast, sometimes noticeably slower regardless of battery voltage
-Lately will spin over fine and not start, eventually 3 or 4 tries later it starts
-Now spins over fine and won't start at all

Any ideas on where to start? Before this I've never had an issue with starting, although I do think I have an electrical issue somewhere as once or twice I have started it, went to leave, and it hung in high gear when put into drive I can either cut it off, or use the manual shift and once I get it to downshift once it works excellent. Also sometimes my gauges are slow to work after it starts, but within 1/2 mile or so work fine.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry just noticed this was in the wrong section!

·
Registered
51 Posts
03rcode,
How old is the battery and are you load testing the batteries or just voltage testing? A bad battery can still "show" 12v until you put a load on them; it may be internally shorted etc too; just figuring to start at battery then work back isolating components from there; good luck w/ your troubleshooting and keep us posted w/ what you find; maybe the ipdm; I never had the relay issue so I don't know exactly what the symptoms are but I believe that surfaces intermittently also and thats a recall so nissan should do it relatively quickly and free.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I would get the ipdm relay replaced and if it works great and if not then you can rule the ipdm relay out. Its a recall so not cost out of pocket for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
03rcode,
How old is the battery and are you load testing the batteries or just voltage testing? A bad battery can still "show" 12v until you put a load on them; it may be internally shorted etc too; just figuring to start at battery then work back isolating components from there; good luck w/ your troubleshooting and keep us posted w/ what you find; maybe the ipdm; I never had the relay issue so I don't know exactly what the symptoms are but I believe that surfaces intermittently also and thats a recall so nissan should do it relatively quickly and free.

The battery that is in the truck was bought new in March of 2010. I did a load test as well and it showed weak, but not bad. I did swap it for a battery bought new in July that tests good on both and it didn't help the issue.

I was leaning towards the IPDM the more I read about it. I'll try to call a dealership tomorrow, the closest one to me is over an hour and a half away though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
my wife xterra is doing same thing.. swapped out the ecu relays and didn't fix the problem.. it is at the shop. they are trying to figure out what is going on

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just tried again, charged the battery back up where it died earlier. Second try it started, ran fine, let it run 2-3 minutes, went to take it out of park and it died. Next time I tried it it spun over good and wouldn't start. Next time it started to turn over about 3 times, and now the battery is dead again. Going to get a new battery and then sending it off to have the IPDM recall performed on Monday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a brand new battery with no change. I was able to get the local Stealership to send me the IPDM recall parts since the closest dealership would be a $300+ tow bill and Nissan will only pay up to $100. They should be here Wednesday or so and hopefully my T will be up and going!

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
If your battery is dieing that fast it sounds like you also have a chargeing system problem. Hopefully the stealership fixes it with the recall. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your battery is dieing that fast it sounds like you also have a chargeing system problem. Hopefully the stealership fixes it with the recall. Good luck.
I should have reworded that, the battery in the truck was fine until it wouldn't start, I ran it dead trying to start it. The known good battery I used was out of my rock crawler and I didn't want to keep it in the truck. Instead of charging the battery since it was under warranty (for another 2 months) I had it exchanged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts