Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Titan and the SES light came on for code P0456, small EVAP leak. I tried to self-diagnose the problem and check the evap system for signs of wear/cracking, checked the purge control valve for functionality. It all seemed good... took it in to have a smoke test done on it and no small leaks were found! The freeze frame data showed that the truck experienced environmental temperatures of -40 deg F to - 58 deg F, I live in PA so these negative temps aren't realistic. The mechanic said that it could be an ECM problem and might need to be replace. Anyone have a similar issue with the P0456 problem? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
When I got that code, I went to NAPA and bought a Dorman replacement solenoid (lifetime warranty) and swapped out the old one. Reset the 'puter and haven't seen the code since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nick, I've heard that can be the problem... going to test the solenoid tonight and take it from there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Seeing no final outcome to this thread, I thought my outcome would help others.
Had the same P0456 on my 09, changed the gas cap with OEM, light came back on, did a vacuum test on the evap purge valve and found that it would loose pressure slowly, replaced the valve.
Its located on the drivers side of the engine, need to remove the engine cover to get at it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seeing no final outcome to this thread, I thought my outcome would help others.
Thanks for providing your solution! It's awesome when folks do that. :)
Since I have the engine cover off of mine, here's a pic of the purge valve on my '07 Armada

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd check the hoses at the PCV valves also. (As well as the PCV's themselves)
I replaced my PCV's recently (only $10 each) and noticed that the hoses aren't all that snug on the PCV nipple anymore. I need to replace those 2 hoses but haven't done so yet. I just moved the clamps up a hair so they got a better bite.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Years ago I was getting this code on my '07. The mechanic removed the evap canister and blew out the solenoid with compressed air and applied voltage to operate it repeatedly. Reinstalled it and the problem disappeared. He did caution me to stop topping-off the gas tank when I filled-up. I took his advice and the problem never returned.

·
Registered
94 Posts
He did caution me to stop topping-off the gas tank when I filled-up. I took his advice and the problem never returned.
That's good info. I need to stop doing that as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nissan Technical Service Bulletin: NTB17-082a
Thank you, I had found that NTB and had to special order the Oring, replaced it but it didn't solve the issue.
I finally solved it (so far) by replacing the vent valve with a $22 Chinese version from Amazon, exact copy of the $130 OEM.
I'll report back after more miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts