Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
now that we have a 7600#s (80% of 9,500#) tow capabilty (Wranglers only tows 2~3000#, max) with the trillin' Titan, we looking for a small cozy RV for two to forey into the Sierra Nevada mountain range (to drag along, off road on fire roads/jeep trails, if possible).

Got any tips and avise for a 1st RV buyer (used, preferred).

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Small and cozy, you got a Titan son, you can go large and comfy.

The two sites I go to are;
IRV2.com
RV.net

I've towed a 22 foot (overall) Toyhauler with a Titan and towed it without a problem

·
Registered
205 Posts
I didn't get the big tow package on my SE mainly because I've never had anything to tow. I understand that I can still add a hitch to my truck but the towing capacity drop to 7500 lbs. which still isn't that bad. Are there any worthwhile small trailers that i can still tow( 15-20 feet). I am unfamiliar with trailers so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
pluckyew, I could go on and on about this one but I would say look around at as many rv dealers as you can find to get a feel for your likes and dislikes. What you choose will depend greatly on your needs (i.e., a toy hauler like derwud has or a travel trailer like mine) and price. The Open Roads forum is a great place to start and is where I received much of the info I learned before purchasing (trailers, tow vehicles, hitches, brake controllers, etc):

Open Roads Forum

For example, we liked the Northwood brand of trailer's as they were one of the few 4 star rated trailers buy the RVAA for reliability and value. They are also 4 season trailers which means you can take them out pretty much any time of the year:

Northwood Mfg

Having said that, there are many other good brands as well. Now is the perfect time of the year to start looking as there will be many rv shows in the coming months with hefty discounts from mfr's (20-25% off list is typically a good deal).

When you begin to narrow your choices down I would recommend renting a trailer that is around the same weight and length so you don't have any surprises on your first trip after you purchase. This will also give you a feel for what options you may want to go with when you do decide to purchase.

In terms of equipment that I would recommend:
Prodigy brake controller from Tekonsha
Equalizer sway control/weight distributing hitch
Honda generators if you plan on camping away from it all

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

Karl

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Follow Karl's recomendations and you will be fine.

I didn't order big tow either, I'm well within the tow limit of the Titan without it and don't want the taller gear for day to day driving. I'm going to add an extra trans cooler and a larger capacity rear diff cover just because.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
didn't order big tow either -- a good decision for better mpg

yea, that Big Tow/Off Road packages makes the Titan more "thirsty"
my lead foot don't help much either

good ideal to rent a RV first and also to buy honda generator.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: didn't order big tow either -- a good decision for better mpg

Go to rvwholesalers.com and check out the hybrids or travel trailers. I like the rockwood roo or KZ coyote hybrids. If you do a lot of off roading, then take a look at the KZ Coyote Rock Hopper. If your only talking about 1-2 people (i.e. no kids), then the 18-19' hybrids are nice. If you have a family, get a 22-23' hybrid or a 26-29' travel trailer. The hybrids are nice, because you get queen sized beds (2 or 3) -- great for a family or just a couple, as apposed to one qween bed and some tiny bunk beds in more travel trailers or fifth wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts