Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently mentioned smelling gas after cold start and driving. today I figured it out and saved my self a $1,000. you can to. If you smell gas, run and open the hood and look in the fuel rails for a litte valve looking thing and see if gas is dripping off it. thats what saw. I looked it up and it has O-ring that may be the problem. It says it has to be torqued to 29 pounds so I tried that first. It was loose. I gave it about a quarter turn on both ends and that stopped the leaking. 29 pounds seemed like a lot so I didn't go that far. that fixed it. the stealer would have really whacked me no doubt.

juma

·
Super Moderator
162,292 Posts
You're probably right about the stealer. If you could take a pic of the particular part you mention, that'd be helpful. Thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its called the fuel damper. there is one on the middle topside of each fuel rail that covers the 4 injectors on each side. two 10mm bolts hold it down. you can't miss it.

juma

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Good find juma, i'll be checking mine in the morning. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chapter two - as so often happens, tightening the bolt doesn't work for long. It started leaking again. I went to the stealer and bought a couple of the O-rings - #16618-7y000. I unbolted the little flange. It was bent so I straightened it. took out the damper and removed the old O-ring, cleaned out the gas in the aperture. Oiled the new O-ring by hand put the whole thing back together. tightened to 8 ft/lbs of torque and that was it. No leak. True test will be to let it set for 3 days and then fire it up.

juma

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chapter 3 - leaked again. I ordered a fuel damper and that may be the problem. no damper so fuel pressure pushes through the gasket when i start it up....I don't know but that is the last thing to change.

juma

·
Registered
31 Posts
chapter 3 - leaked again. I ordered a fuel damper and that may be the problem. no damper so fuel pressure pushes through the gasket when i start it up....I don't know but that is the last thing to change.

juma
hey Juma ...great post...I was wondering if changing the damper fixed the fuel smell on cold start-up.

·
Registered
305 Posts

juma
I cked with Juma. He says that replacing both fuel dampers fixed the problem once and for all. 5 yrs later, no recurrence.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Finally did recur but on the other side. new damper on the way.
Wow, way, way back thread from the dead :smileysqu But thanks for updating, it's always good to have closeout on these threads for posterity purposes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts