Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my taillights, taped up the reverse light section and spray tinted them, I must say they came out pretty good. I've done all my vehicles so I've had practice. Its a cool alternative to those trendy altezza euro style lights. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
That looks GREAT...good job man.

·
Registered
81 Posts
1BadTitan said:
I pulled my taillights, taped up the reverse light section and spray tinted them, I must say they came out pretty good. I've done all my vehicles so I've had practice. Its a cool alternative to those trendy altezza euro style lights. What do you think?

That looks awsome! where can I find spray tint though? I think I might have to copy you :cheers:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
i like it. i dont know how good it would look on a smoke color, but i'd be half temped to try it out.

if someone else with a smoke body does it, and it looks good, i might have to try that out.

how long will the tint last? will it fade?

·
Registered
123 Posts
looks really really good!!! imo it looks 1000% better than altezza's. i did this on my car and it only lasted a couple of months in the summer arizona sun, then i did it again this year but with more clear coat.

what kind of tint did u use? ( i used the hobby transparent black window tint for modle cars), did u prep them in any way? and did u use any type of clear over them?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey guys, you can also go to www.lamin-x.com and buy a 24"x24" sheet of self adhesive vinyl in smoke for $20. I had lamin-x on my 350Z and it simply rocked !!!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go on ebay and type in spray tint... I used the VHT in the chrome 7oz can. My friends have used all different brands and its all the same. Single stage, meaning no clearcoat required, and I've had it on my cars as long as 3 years without have to redo it, probably longer but I sell them first. I've never heard of it fading or having to reapply it. for $10 you really cant lose. Remember to clean the lenses first with any amonia free window cleaner to prevent fish-eye and peeling.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
im doin it, it will look awesome on the smoke color i think. nice job. how hard to remove tailight covers? again, nice job. also, can you post some pics w/ the lights and brake lights activated.

steve

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
yeah, i was wondering how hard it was to remove teh tail lights and take off the front cover to apply the tint.

goathead: can you take pictures of the process for a good DIY? before and after in teh same lighting would also be good for comparison. thanks.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
mikegronholz said:
Hey guys, you can also go to www.lamin-x.com and buy a 24"x24" sheet of self adhesive vinyl in smoke for $20. I had lamin-x on my 350Z and it simply rocked !!!
will the summer heat cause itto bubble and peel off? it's just stuck to the outside of the light, right?

got any pictures? this sounds like an easier alternative, if it works / looks as good.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Titan4x4Aggie said:
will the summer heat cause itto bubble and peel off? it's just stuck to the outside of the light, right?

got any pictures? this sounds like an easier alternative, if it works / looks as good.

Nope, will not bubble and peel off !!! It was originally designed for race car use to prevent headlight cracking from debris in races like 24 hours of Lemans. My Z had no issues at all. from certain angles ... total black ... from other angles, some red would reflect. Best part, at night, my tails looked the same as un Lamin-x'ed.

Here is my Z with the Lamin-x on the tails. For the lamin-x, you do not have to remove the tailights. Simply peel and stick (like a decal) and trim to your satisfaction. If you remove the light, you can wrap the edges better. My Titan will have this done very shortly. If you can hold out a week or so, I will show you exactly what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
mikegronholz said:
that looks like a great product that should work so much better than paint. i will def look into this-thanks for sharing. o BTW AWESOME 350z

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are 2 screws on the inside of the bed, backside of the light. take the 2 screws out and pul the light straight back from the back of the truck.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
mikegronholz said:
Nope, will not bubble and peel off !!! It was originally designed for race car use to prevent headlight cracking from debris in races like 24 hours of Lemans. My Z had no issues at all. from certain angles ... total black ... from other angles, some red would reflect. Best part, at night, my tails looked the same as un Lamin-x'ed.

Here is my Z with the Lamin-x on the tails. For the lamin-x, you do not have to remove the tailights. Simply peel and stick (like a decal) and trim to your satisfaction. If you remove the light, you can wrap the edges better. My Titan will have this done very shortly. If you can hold out a week or so, I will show you exactly what it looks like.
Dayum! that looks tight, i like it. the web site said it was what? $8 for a small sheet? you cant go wrong with that, even if it doesn't look good. post pics & tips whenever you get it done. i think i'm going to order some in the next couple of days.

do you have a smoke titan, or did you go with a black nissan again. i just wanna see how it will look with a smoke colored car.

-mike

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
mikegronholz said:

Maybe its just me but I am having great difficulty seeing the taillights in that picture. One from the rear of the car would be much more effective in my decision to do the same. One last thing...that car is beautiful!!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
VShortt said:
Maybe its just me but I am having great difficulty seeing the taillights in that picture. One from the rear of the car would be much more effective in my decision to do the same. One last thing...that car is beautiful!!
Forget the last post. I see it now. Damn that looks good.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts