Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanna see what you guys think. I had a trailer on a small utility trailler bearlly big enough for a 4 wheeler ok, with a oak cabinet ok so lets say it weighed 200# the trailer 150. trying to back up my hill ( I'm not real good at backing up small trailers ok) in 4lo ok had to try it like 15 times the trailer kept wanting to jacknife on me. I smelled something and looked at the transmission gauge and it was on the H so I tried one more time and stopped took the trailer off. Then ran it down the road to cool it, and looked under and there was a little smoke. Then seen what looked to be transmission fluid and the bottom of the transmission and the exhaust pipe. so did I fry it, do I need to get it looked at? I have an 05 cc 4x4 big tow. this just happened so Ill drive to work tomorrow and see how it acts.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
You need to find out where the fluid is coming from, is it still under warranty?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looked like the bottom of the transmission and ya I bought an extened warranty though my bank. I have 63k on the truck

·
Registered
779 Posts
probably boiled the fluid out of the vent on top of the transmission. I would get it flushed ASAP with J-Matic.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok does this sound normal with such a small load on it? I have a 98 jeep cherokee that I have done this with and never smoked the transmission

·
Registered
779 Posts
dksfowler said:
ok does this sound normal with such a small load on it? I have a 98 jeep cherokee that I have done this with and never smoked the transmission
Reverse is like being in 2nd gear because you have a taller gear and are causing lots of torque converter slippage going up a hill backwards. I suggest that you practice backing on flat ground and not slip the torque convert so long. Also, you should let it cool before shutting down the engine. Not so much to do with the load, it was how long you had your foot in the gas and not moving much. You gave it a little abuse and it showed you some fluid.

Get it flush and take it easy next time.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Check the fluid color...YOU NEED TO SEE RED. DARK RED is OK but you should have it serviced soon if it is too DARK change it immediately. I'm going to have soem tranny fluid tested to see at which point the temps break down the fluid.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep going to get it flushed it is dark. and I found a bolt on the top passager side of the trans that was loose. which looks like where the fluid was coming from

·
Registered
499 Posts
Those bolts come loose all the time on these trucks. Make sure you check all the other ones and put some lock tight on them one at a time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts