Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah well go find you a parking lot and play. It may be a while until you see that again. I'm in TN and we don't usually get anything that'll stick. Welp it's sticking around for a week they claim. Had my fun, just going to the store :)

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4X 2006 Titan SE (sold) Chevy SS Sedan
442 Posts
I decided to check out the 4x4 capabilities of mine for a quick err slow drive around the block. The truck felt very sure footed, almost confidence inspiring but I know that's generally when people get into accidents, so I didn't go too nuts on it like some of the other 4x4s I saw tooling around. I wanted to drive around a little more but watching all the drivers sliding around and spinning their tires, I knew that these other drivers were more likely to hit someone so I came home a little early. If I had to drive across town to help someone out, I'd have no problem venturing out in this mess. Oh and wtf is wrong with our infrastructure that Texas's electric grid is having rolling blackouts? Time to start firing some of the idiots running things I guess.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
We got iced in down here in corpus. They shut the highway and the bridge to the island down

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Oh and wtf is wrong with our infrastructure that Texas's electric grid is having rolling blackouts? Time to start firing some of the idiots running things I guess.
Nothing wrong with your infrastructure has a large winter storm with wet and heavy snow sitting on power lines. Lines go down, transformers fail and it takes crews to restring and repair them. Usually power companies bring in crews from other states to help, but the incredible size of this storm means everybody is scrambling.

Glad you found your Titan is competent in the snow, however.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I took pics of the snow -- for posterity -- and left my Titan parked comfortably in the garage. I may venture out later in the week.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Stay safe down there.

Clint

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nothing wrong with your infrastructure has a large winter storm with wet and heavy snow sitting on power lines. Lines go down, transformers fail and it takes crews to restring and repair them. Usually power companies bring in crews from other states to help, but the incredible size of this storm means everybody is scrambling.

The local reports are that the energy producing plants weren't winterized so that a lot of the equipment isn't operating as it should because of the cold weather. That's actually the scary part, we haven't had the ice on the lines yet, that happens on Wednesday when these lines will really start to snap. And yes, I understand that winterizing a bunch of equipment for events that happen once every 10 or so years seems expensive, but we might sadly see how much of that planning is going to cost when compared against human lives, as I can see the loss of life start to mount if we have people that are dealing with a few days of no power. A local plumber has also stated that he's been called to about 7-10 times more emergencies for frozen pipes than he's used to. Going to be interesting to see how much this is going to cost over winterizing our power producing plants.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
Oh man, is that the dallas accident? That was bad, they said like 46 people hurt and a bunch of people killed?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Here in Mississippi same strange weather, 4-8 inches of sleet which has the consistency of sand or sugar. Took my old Titan into the airport today because it's a lot better in the snow than my regular driver VW. We don't have any snow removal equipment here either so we have to wait until Saturday when it warms up again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nothing wrong with your infrastructure has a large winter storm with wet and heavy snow sitting on power lines. Lines go down, transformers fail and it takes crews to restring and repair them.
Actually thats not what happened at all. The Grid cant handle the demand. Transformers are being overloaded and as a safety measure shut down. To keep these transformers from blowing and needing to be repaired they do rolling blackouts to share the load.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Oh man, is that the dallas accident? That was bad, they said like 46 people hurt and a bunch of people killed?
This was actually the accident in Fort Worth (30-ish miles from Dallas), the first responders were saying that a lot of the people that they were pulling from the wreckage were in scrubs, so they were nurses going home from work or going into work. Pretty sad to hear, granted you don't like hearing about any loss of life or someone dealing with that, but with it being some of our nursing staff that's already dealing with Covid, seems like something they don't need to deal with.

Actually thats not what happened at all. The Grid cant handle the demand. Transformers are being overloaded and as a safety measure shut down. To keep these transformers from blowing and needing to be repaired they do rolling blackouts to share the load.
Sadly, it's not as much "rolling" as it's pretty much the system is just shutting down power to people for several hours, some are near 36-48 hours of no power. They said the temperature inside their homes is at about 35 degrees. Can you imagine having your pipes burst, all the damage that's happening inside the homes that can't be warmed up because of the 30+ hours shut down?

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
Yup, that's how it is. People here in corpus have been without power since the cold hit here.

It sucks all those people got in wrecks so bad.

The covid thing doesn't mean anything to me. Alot of my friends came up positive because we support the military so we are "essential" because of national security. We have had non stop covid sickness and a number of our guys died from having different things and than also catching covid.

So they chose the medical professional and benefit from the excellent pay those jobs get and that is part of the risk is working with sick people.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Also they had wind turbines freezing up.

Frozen wind turbines hamper Texas power output, state's electric grid operator says

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s chaotic down here in San Antonio... All over something u up north guys deal with all season!!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So much ice has built up in the fenders I have to make jumbo jet turns!!!

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,691 Posts
i wonder if we will get sent home today since they closed the highway again. same thing as yesterday, i get here and then 45 minutes later we get an alert saying do not come into work because the highway is closed from ice. they never consider that some people are on a 0500 start time versus the normal 0600 that most people are on. i wish they would just put everyone on 0600.

it feels like normal corpus Christi spring break weather now, drizzly and cold. since i am about half a mile from the water, we are a little warmer than the main part of corpus Christi so they could have snow or sleet and we just have crappy cold rain.

i hope you guys in the snow are ok.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sadly, it's not as much "rolling" as it's pretty much the system is just shutting down power to people for several hours, some are near 36-48 hours of no power. They said the temperature inside their homes is at about 35 degrees. Can you imagine having your pipes burst, all the damage that's happening inside the homes that can't be warmed up because of the 30+ hours shut down?
I was one of those people. We had our power shutoff at 5pm Monday and it didnt come back on until Tuesday at 7am. Was on for an hour and shut back off for 8hrs. My wife just text me and said the power has been on for 3hrs now and is hoping it stays on. All of my pool equipment (lines, filter housing and pump) has burst open from freezing up. The ice thats formed in my pool has broken off tiles and is pulling off plaster. This little winter storm is gonna screw me in my pocket book. Insurance man is gonna be getting a call end of this week once we thaw out and can see what the real damage is

1 - 20 of 86 Posts