Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I have an '04 Titan with 95k on it and I just did the ECM relay recall due to stuttering, no cranking, etc. Right now I have just a magnaflow exhaust and K&N panel filter. I am about to go on a long trip, so I am doing my 100k maintenance and some other preventative stuff.

So, I want to get rid of the terrible factory cats and get some LTs. I would love some Nismo headers, but they are pretty much impossible to find right now(any help would be MUCH appreciated!). So, I am stuck with Doug Thorley and Stillen(not bad choices to be stuck with). I also intend to purchase an intake to round out the UPREV tune on first go. I want to stick with a fairly moderate tone to the exhaust and not a screaming blatty banshee. I haven't heard many 04' 2wd(resonators in the factory B-pipes) with headers and anything close to the factory exhaust with a muffler, like I have. Would you recommend putting weld in cats in place of the factory resonators or are Berks the only good option? I can weld anything that is needed wherever.

Lastly, I am thinking about the AEM brute force intake or the Volant.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have been doing tons of trolling around the forum trying to get as much info as I can, but I'm not finding exactly what I am looking for.

Thank you and God Bless!
Richard

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ive got an 04 titan 4x4 crew cab. I just finished putting Doug Thorley long tubes, true dual 2.25 exhaust pipes, magnaflow 12568 dual in dual out and tail pipes bent around the spare and run out the back. My next move is new shoes and uprev. Anyway, heres a video from the cab. I had my camera sitting on my console with the drivers door open. I ran it for a few days with the factory exhaust, and honestly I wouldnt do it again. The factory Y on the 04's is insanely restrictive. If you want to stay less expensive(maybe) try installing a new y pipe, and a new muffler.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to sound pretty mellow, which I like. I am definately going to go to headers to remove the "danger" of factory 04 cats being damaged and possibly damaging the engine. Remember though, your 04 is a 4wd and has two more cats than my 2wd does. So those B-pipes are are probably a bit more restrictive than the 2wd B-pipes. But regardless, even though your exhaust is a bit different than what I have, it is pretty mellow. It sounds like putting some high flow cats in my factory B-pipes will mellow it out a good bit.

I appreciate your video!

·
Registered
280 Posts
No problem. To be clear, it wasnt the b pipes that were restrictive. The factory Y is junk. It narrows down to well under 2" on the drivers side inlet.

Yes, I think adding a high flow cat or even a resonator to my setup would tame it a little more.

Forgot to add, I also have a K&N cold air intake, and it does scream pretty loud when I stomp on it.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Sounds like your headed in the right direction!

I would recommend going with a set of Stillen LT's to replace your OEM manifolds & OEM cat's. Then buy a set of Magnaflow hi-flows & weld them in place where the OEM resonators are yourself. Being that you know how to weld will ave you some cash! :)

The AEM is also my preferred CAI & a Magnaflow 22" muffler shouldn't be too loud. Look for one that has a "flow through" design to maintain exhaust velocity.

Here's the same cats that i have & also the same ones that Berk Tech uses in their B-Pipes:

MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters - 49-STATE & CANADA Catalytic Converters For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

When you install everything make sure you mount the rear o2 sensors after the the cat's in the B-Pipes.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Im running the setup that you want on my truck right now with the exception of UpRev.

Volant Powercore intake
DT LT's
Stock exhaust pipes
18" magnaflow welded in place of factory muffler and a turndown

Ill be completely honest and tell you that my truck sounds nasty under load and with my foot on the floor.

Im going to be doing 2.25" duals into a 22" maggy and run the exhaust to almost the factory location but tuck it up by the shackle so you cant see it. My truck drones on the freeway something fierce with the cruise set at 70 and on an incline. Its literally so bad that you wanna pull your hair out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you say nasty... is that a goody nasty or a terrible nasty?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I finally installed my Stillen long tube headers on the 4th and I also put Berk B pipes in and it completly changed the sound of my truck.
I have a Banks cat back with the Banks Y currently and I loved the sound of the Banks system and I put the Stillen long tubes on with Berk 2.25" B pipes with Magnaflow high flow cats and now it is WAY louder then the stock manifolds. I have a 4X4 so I had 4 cats before 2 on manifolds and 2 in B pipes now I just have the 2 magnaflow ones in. I am going to have a Y pipe made with a Flowmaster 2.25" into 3" Y to replace the Banks monster 3" Y and I am thinking about having them weld in a Resonator or smaller flow through design muffler like a Magnaflow to try and smooth it back out and quiet it down a bit. The old sound was smooth and really deep and after the headers it sounds poppy and raspy sounding with more CIS. Its hard to explain but the old sound would roar nice and deep and was a little poppy sounding at wide open and now it makes a higher Rawr type sound but very poppy sounding.

I will try and take a video of the new headers and B pipes to explain better.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Mike your truck sounds pretty damn good. Not gonna lie. A 22" will definitely tone it down.

04greenT's truck is definitely a mean growl kind of sound.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
When i say nasty i mean gross nasty.

Ive had the same exhaust setup on the truck since the headers went on in May-June of 09 so im bored with it. Someone hearing it for the first time or not listening to it everyday says it sounds good but im sick of it. Dont get me wrong, when i get on it next to someone it has the "im gonna eat your face" growl to it lol

I appreciate the comliment Tyler but i never really got on it for you to hear the CIS that it has.

As soon as i get money, im doing new exhaust. Debating if i want to run a y-pipe or a dual setup into a 22" maggy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought this:

2-- magnaflow cats
1-- magnaflow 12586 22" muffler
1-- magnaflow 10758 2.25"x2.5" y pipe
1-- magnaflow 35104 tip

I currently have a magnaflow 12256 18" muffler. Depending on how raspy and how much drone it has after the headers, I may actually run both mufflers or just the 22".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I hope to be able to let you know this weekend. But, it depends on if my headers make it... which looks doubtful since they just shipped today.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Cool! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, now I'm just hoping they make it before the trip that I bought them now to get here before. The guy that I bought them from said if I paid last Sunday, he would ship Monday and I would get them Friday. As of now... no shipment progress on the tracking number...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Here I finally got some videos of the headers with the banks.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Sounds great, got to love that Banks growl!!!

Parking garages are fun! My T will set off every car alarm! LOL :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I got the resonators in the B-pipes replaced with the cats, the 22" magnaflow installed, the magnaflow Y-pipe installed, and the magnaflow tip installed. The only thing I lack is the darn headers. I also got "Uprev'd". So, I should be set and ready for the headers when they get here, supposedly Wednesday.

By the way, with all of the new stuff installed with stock manifolds/cats... it sounds stock, haha.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Just wait till you get your headers installed... It will get louder. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh..... I have NO doubt, haha!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts