Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story made short, I've been chasing down a squeak ever since I installed the trailer brake controller back in May. This morning I had a 4x4 incident as a result of my detective work.

The backstory: using electrical tape, Nissan secures several plugs alongside larger plug boxes under the dash. The first one I spotted that I thought was the trailer brake plug was not the needed plug, but I had already cut the tape to free it up. When I taped it back I failed to get it tight so it was "bumping" just enough to make an occasional racket. This morning I re-secured that sucker, so end of story on the squeak.

Back to the 4x4 business: while either pulling or reaffixing the lower dash panel, I accidentally bumped the 4x4 switch to the 4-H position. Then when I went to back out of the driveway to see if the rattle was resolved, I got maybe 15 feet and it felt like the brakes were applying. Opting not to "force it" I pulled forward, shut off the truck, and went inside and watched several YouTube videos on brake issues with the Titan.

In one of those the tech showed how to use the Settings to turn off the rear sonar and rear emergency braking. Going back outside, I started the truck and began toggling the screens to get to the necessary menu.

When it came to the 4x4 screen, it showed 4x4 as engaged. Looking down, I saw the switch was indeed at 4-H.

So I moved it to 2-H, shut off and restarted the truck, and tried backing up. No problems there. Then I did a test drive to both listen for the squeak, and monitor the tranny. Everything works fine.

All that said, I do have a question: why wouldn't the truck back more than 15' in 4-H?

My suspicion is that it was because it was accidentally switched while the vehicle was off, but I am wondering if any of you have had the same or a similar experience?

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Long story made short, I've been chasing down a squeak ever since I installed the trailer brake controller back in May. This morning I had a 4x4 incident as a result of my detective work.

The backstory: using electrical tape, Nissan secures several plugs alongside larger plug boxes under the dash. The first one I spotted that I thought was the trailer brake plug was not the needed plug, but I had already cut the tape to free it up. When I taped it back I failed to get it tight so it was "bumping" just enough to make an occasional racket. This morning I re-secured that sucker, so end of story on the squeak.

Back to the 4x4 business: while either pulling or reaffixing the lower dash panel, I accidentally bumped the 4x4 switch to the 4-H position. Then when I went to back out of the driveway to see if the rattle was resolved, I got maybe 15 feet and it felt like the brakes were applying. Opting not to "force it" I pulled forward, shut off the truck, and went inside and watched several YouTube videos on brake issues with the Titan.

In one of those the tech showed how to use the Settings to turn off the rear sonar and rear emergency braking. Going back outside, I started the truck and began toggling the screens to get to the necessary menu.

When it came to the 4x4 screen, it showed 4x4 as engaged. Looking down, I saw the switch was indeed at 4-H.

So I moved it to 2-H, shut off and restarted the truck, and tried backing up. No problems there. Then I did a test drive to both listen for the squeak, and monitor the tranny. Everything works fine.

All that said, I do have a question: why wouldn't the truck back more than 15' in 4-H?

My suspicion is that it was because it was accidentally switched while the vehicle was off, but I am wondering if any of you have had the same or a similar experience?
Last winter in a light snow I was driving in 4 high and came upon standing traffic so I thought I’d back up and turn off the off ramp about 50 feet behind me as nobody was approaching me. The truck came to an abrupt stop in about that 15 distance for no reason so I just pressed the button to shut down the nanny system and completed my task. It was unnerving and I didn’t have time to continue trying. I can try 4high when I go out later and see what it does then.

Clint

Reactions: basketcase

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
I just put the truck in 4wd and backed the 110 feet from my house to the street down the incline and had no automatic braking.
Maybe you sonar sensed something? I’m think mine may have sensed the snowfall when I experienced it.

Clint

Reactions: basketcase

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
If you turn the wheels at all it will bind on dry pavement and cause what you're experiencing.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking @dubyam has identified the issue. I was backing up on a concrete driveway and trying to turn 90 degrees to head out of the neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just put the truck in 4wd and backed the 110 feet from my house to the street down the incline and had no automatic braking.
Maybe you sonar sensed something? I’m think mine may have sensed the snowfall when I experienced it.

Clint
Something behind me was one of my initial thoughts. I even got out an looked. Nothing.

Thanks to all for the feedback. As long as nothing is damaged, I'll call it a no-harm no-foul and chalk it up to experience.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Likely drivetrain bind due to being in 4WD on pavement, and if so, it's a good thing you didn't decide to "force" it or you could be searching for a replacement transfer case or CV joint right now.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Likely drivetrain bind due to being in 4WD on pavement, and if so, it's a good thing you didn't decide to "force" it or you could be searching for a replacement transfer case or CV joint right now.
Roger that on the drivetrain bind.

And yes, things break. At age 67 I have to confess having learned the hard way that "get a bigger hammer" (push harder, floorboard it ... whatever) is not the best recourse.

I had several errands to run today so now I'm listening for any type of noise. Nothing new, so hopefully no harm, no foul for this most recent episode of live and learn.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
72 Posts
Roger that on the drivetrain bind.

And yes, things break. At age 67 I have to confess having learned the hard way that "get a bigger hammer" (push harder, floorboard it ... whatever) is not the best recourse.

I had several errands to run today so now I'm listening for any type of noise. Nothing new, so hopefully no harm, no foul for this most recent episode of live and learn.
I'm sure you're fine, take it from someone who has personally broken four ring & pinion gear sets, two CV joints, three front axle shafts, two drive shafts, countless U-joints, one transfer case input shaft and one transfer case low range gear over the past years.....you would know instantly if you broke something, I still hear that sound in my dreams :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah I have a 2019 p4x and I have had issues with my 4wheel drive I going from a stand still in neutral and shifting it into 4hi it does fine then stopping again putting it into nuetral I go to 4lo well the dealership says you have to deactivate traction control if I don't I get a 4wheel drive error message. Now when it's in 4lo traction control off I still sometimes will get a error message this most recent time it was stuck in 4lo even though I had come to a stop put it in nuetral then put it in 2 wheel drive I kept flashing 4lo 4hi so with it in park I and shifting it back to 2wd I shut the truck off when I started the truck again I heard a pop thru the stereo speakers. Tried to recreate it again and went from 4lo stopping nuetral shift to 4hi it would not go into 4hi so I reversed and went forward and did it a couple of times while I was in 4hi it wouldn't pop out so I put it in park switched to 2wd then shut the truck off when I turned it back on no pop and it was fine. I just say it's gotta be one of those Nissan gremlins rearing it's ugly head. Every time Nissan service looks at it they ultimately come back saying well we tried everything but can't get the problem to replicate after 15 min of looking at it. Next time I go to service Dept I'm going to have to explain it to the service manager because the last time I had a issue with something I spent 3 hours driving around the Nissan lot to get the problem to replicate found out the in tank fuel pump was going out now take it my truck had about 30k miles on it when it happened. I'm going to have to replicate the 4wd issue to get them to fix it. Also unfortunately my fender stereo system is not stock so if distortion from a pop blows the speakers I gotta get them replaced somewhere else.

·
Registered
Nissan Titan PRO4X 4x4
4 Posts
Good to know about the 4WD. Unfortunately, I had to lea lrn the hard way that my Titan does not luck to be left in Neutral and then shut off while in the car wash. I've done this with all of my other cars, not Nissans. The wheels lock up lock I'm in Park. I'm guessing this is a safety or anti-theft feature. Now I just keep the engine running.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I didn't say shut the truck off in nuetral to change between 2wd and 4wd. The truck must be running but in nuetral at a stop to shift it between 2wd and 4wd. Just do not shift on the fly meaning try to engage 4wd when your driving in 2wd.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I didn't say shut the truck off in nuetral to change between 2wd and 4wd. The truck must be running but in nuetral at a stop to shift it between 2wd and 4wd. Just do not shift on the fly meaning try to engage 4wd when your driving in 2wd.
Definitely not normal operation. These trucks are designed for 4WD High to be shifted on the fly from 2WD to 4WD high and back to 2WD. Only with 4-Lo is neutral needed to make the shift. Odd the dealership can't find a problem. Wonder if a sensor is out of alignment or the motor/actuator is bad?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Look shifting from 2wd to 4hi on the fly is not good coming to a stop and while the engine is running shift from 2wd to 4hi is best. The best was to explain it is to have let's say a gear with a few splines trying to mesh with a gear that has a lot more splines in it. I will never shift on the fly because when to messes up and it will then your screwed.I haven't read anything from Nissan saying it's ok to shift from 2wd to 4hi on the fly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Look shifting from 2wd to 4hi on the fly is not good coming to a stop and while the engine is running shift from 2wd to 4hi is best. The best was to explain it is to have let's say a gear with a few splines trying to mesh with a gear that has a lot more splines in it. I will never shift on the fly because when to messes up and it will then your screwed. I haven't read anything from Nissan saying it's ok to shift from 2wd to 4hi on the fly.
Nissan Titan Owner's Manual only states you shouldn't switch to 4WD-Hi at or above 62 mph. Meaning, any speed below that is acceptable.

"Before placing the 4WD shift switch in
the 4H position from 2WD, ensure the
vehicle speed is less than 62 mph
(100 km/h). Failure to do so can damage
the 4WD system."

Pg. 5-48 of the 2017 Nissan Titan Owner's Manual.

The shift on the fly 4WD-Hi systems have been used since the 1980s (earlier maybe?) in vehicles with auto-locking front hubs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can shift on the fly from 2wd to 4hi as long as your under 62mph driving in a straight line but on the safer side it's best to just come to a stop shift to nuetral the switch it to 4hi. The electronic locking diff won't work in 4hi the light will flash but it won't engage. The best rule of thimb to learn is coming to a stop going from drive to nuetral to 4hi then putting it in drive and continuing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I shifted between 2wd and 4hi while driving in my previous Toyota trucks without issues. Same with my current Titan. The pro4x has locking feature and I dont think other trims have it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts