Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Nissan Titan LE with all the bells and whistles, the tow package, mirrors, etc. I am planning on getting a EQ hitch for a toy hauler camper, and considering mods to my truck to help with towing, but in stock mode, and with all that said....

What is the max amount I should be towing? I know the titan is rated for 95 or 9600 pounds. What is the tongue weight?

I am considering a 21' toy hauler that I cant find the exact weight, but seem to find most in that size around 4k-6k in weight, is that about right?

So, if I am at 6k, add 1k for water and such, then add 1.5k for atvs, that puts me at 8.5k weight.... Even though its a thousand less, is that ok? I am going to be just towing it to the woods a few hours for camping, no cross-country stuff or anything.

If it is ok, is there suggested cooling mods or transmission mods or anything I should get?

Please share your thoughts, opinions and experiences.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I tow a 21' toy hauler several times a year from phoenix to california through the mountains. It comes in around 8600 lbs after toys, people, and food (beer). I have not had one single issue or the need for more power. The Titan runs like a champ. Just don't tow in overdrive and the trans temp needle won't move. I would get some air bags to make the ride a bit more comfortable. The back end has a tendency to bounce going over road transitions. Have fun!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback! What kind of toy hauler if you dont mind me asking, trying to get a better guess on total weight of this thing.

Its a 2000 Duner Deluxe toy hauler.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Its an 05 rampage. I tried looking yours up but I could not find any info on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its looking like its around 6k empty. If I put 1k of water (anything else?) and a POlaris Rzr, and one ute, thats the other 1.5k. Im at 8.5k.

I know I should get an EQ hitch, but can I still put another quad in the bed? Is how many people/dogs in the truck now a concern? How do I determine what my toungue weight is, or should be?

I really wish there was more info on these Dunes toy haulers...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Doesn't really matter too much what your tongue weight is. Its adjustable. Just depends on how you load the hauler and where the water tanks are located. Are you going to be doing any mountain grades? Also get a good brake controller.

·
Registered
679 Posts
MujZeptu said:
Its looking like its around 6k empty. If I put 1k of water (anything else?) and a POlaris Rzr, and one ute, thats the other 1.5k. Im at 8.5k.

I know I should get an EQ hitch, but can I still put another quad in the bed? Is how many people/dogs in the truck now a concern? How do I determine what my toungue weight is, or should be?

I really wish there was more info on these Dunes toy haulers...
You're starting approach the max combined weight of the truck/trailer together. I can't remember exactly what it is but I think it's around 14,000 lbs. I tow a 7200 lb (loaded weight) travel trailer and am surprisingly close to the max whenever I roll through scales. A couple things I've learned....

Be weary of the advertised 'dry' weights on trailers. These weight really include NOTHING in them. Propane tanks, water, cooking stuff, chairs, etc, etc all add up really quick.

The 9400 lb max tow rating by Nissan is somewhat of a dream. That with absolutely nothing in the truck other than a small driver. Essentially, every dog, wife, piece of firewood, etc that you put in the truck (or the trailer) comes off of that 9400.

I bought a 'dry' 5200 lb travel trailer and assumed I had plenty of spare room... in reality, it's pretty close.

Find an actal scale and weigh your stuff.... preferably before you buy the trailer so you know what you're starting at. Again, the advertised weights can be misleading.

·
Registered
392 Posts
As mtofell stated; dry weights are misaleading. I think they do this to get more out the door. My dry weight is 6534lbs. My real weight of trailer with cookware and linens, gas tanks full(two 30lb), clothes for a week, ready to go etc. is 8216lbs. And I'm in a 2.94XE. That's right, no Big Tow. I was ok doing this until I found out actual weight, then I started to worry. Knowing the numbers will freak you out sometimes! I just got an 06 diff cover, and the more I hook up, the less I worry now. There are sometimes it feels like it could rip the tongue off it!! This truck is a towing beast!! I get 8-11mpg around the rolling foothills of NC and the smokies; that I would like to improve. It cut milage in half and I wasn't expecting that.

TWO THINGS I've heard tons of discussion on: You will probably need to upgrade rear shocks. And, instead of air bags(which regretably is what I also did), Go ahead and budget the extra cost of the Roadmaster Active Suspension. Two reasons, It's mechanically activated, and it's dual purpose. Getting the air bags still left me wanting more! More control that is. There is a need for a sway/anti-roll bar on the rear. If you get the RAS, it acts as load support AND sway/anti-roll all in one. If you get air bags+cost of rear sway bar=more than cost of RAS to start with. It barely(if any)raises the rear when unloaded also. My bags at minimal pressure unloaded raised my rear 1.5 in. JUST MY .02

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thank you for the info.

My 05 Titan LE came with it all, including the off-road package with skid plate, and upgraded rear shocks... Are those upgraded shocks going to help in this department? I am still shopping around for the right trailer, I just want to get a realistic idea of what my limits truly are.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If Im Not Pulling Out Of A Ramp I Should Be Able To Tow Close To That With Lil Tow

·
Registered
246 Posts
MujZeptu said:

My 05 Titan LE came with it all, including the off-road package with skid plate, and upgraded rear shocks... Are those upgraded shocks going to help in this department? I am still shopping around for the right trailer, I just want to get a realistic idea of what my limits truly are.
The shocks hold no basis for towing capacity. Although even the OR package shocks suck. I would change them out when you can get to it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
TAFOYA'STITAN said:
If Im Not Pulling Out Of A Ramp I Should Be Able To Tow Close To That With Lil Tow
I'm afraid I don't understand this ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
MujZeptu said:

As stated, even the upgrades are lacking the good towing ability, the stockers are geared more for first impressions with ride quality and so on....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I figured the stock shocks werent anything great, I was just more commenting about it after someone else had said upgrading shocks for sagging.

I am thinking I will go with an EQ hitch, and just stay stock on my tow package LE. With that said, should I try and keep my total weight around 8k, or is pushing up into 9k reasonable, or not worth it?

·
Registered
246 Posts
MujZeptu said:
Yeah, I figured the stock shocks werent anything great, I was just more commenting about it after someone else had said upgrading shocks for sagging.

I am thinking I will go with an EQ hitch, and just stay stock on my tow package LE. With that said, should I try and keep my total weight around 8k, or is pushing up into 9k reasonable, or not worth it?
If your going to be close to the max, I would either go with the road master system or air bags. Better to have it just in case. imo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts