Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Please post some pics of your softop or hard camper shells and the reasons why you like either! I am recent purchased of a 2018 Titan Sv. Love it so far. I’ve always had tonneau covers on my trucks but would like something can contain my dogs in the back and provide more dry storage.

looking at the leer 100xr truck cap but the softopper is very enticing considering it’s a 1/3 of the price. Would love to seem some pics of both and peoples experiences.

thanks!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I recommend watching some youtube videos on the soft toppers that are out there. I had thought about one, but they are a pain to use and aren't totally waterproof. Just make sure it meets your needs and you are not purchasing based on price. The fold down to be able to haul tall items is one plus.

I've been searching for 3 months and found my truck cap used last week.

They have come a long way since the one I had on my 2000 GMC Sierra. Better fit and gaskets to keep water out.
smIMG_0256.JPG
smIMG_0252.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
Nice find! I have a hard folding tonneau but would also like to buy one like yours so I can swap it out for periods of time when I’d like to enlarge the lockable space.

Clint

·
Registered
37 Posts

I purchased my Shell (Century) less expensive but equal quality of Snugtop. I have had zero problem with it. I ordered it with a carpet kit in (which I highly recommend as my first truck had a shell and didn't have the carpet kit in it) I like the look, and overall feel with the kit, I also ordered it with a Locking Shelf compartment built into the drivers side and that is full of MRE's (Meals Ready To Eat), water and tools, but is lockable so if you carry a weapon or something of value it can be secured there. Additionally I had the windows Limo Tinted as I don't want anyone to be able to see what I carry in the back of my truck. Which is often military gear (I'm Army).

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
View attachment 542235 View attachment 542236
I purchased my Shell (Century) less expensive but equal quality of Snugtop. I have had zero problem with it. I ordered it with a carpet kit in (which I highly recommend as my first truck had a shell and didn't have the carpet kit in it) I like the look, and overall feel with the kit, I also ordered it with a Locking Shelf compartment built into the drivers side and that is full of MRE's (Meals Ready To Eat), water and tools, but is lockable so if you carry a weapon or something of value it can be secured there. Additionally I had the windows Limo Tinted as I don't want anyone to be able to see what I carry in the back of my truck. Which is often military gear (I'm Army).
THANK YOU for your service.

Clint

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finding used shells or tonneau covers is very hard for us Titan owners. Gotta be real patient. On my last 2 vehicles (Toyota Tacoma and Toyota Tundra) i had ARE shells and loved them. I would love a shell for my Titan but i have a midnight edition and i have never seen any pics (or in person) of my style truck with a shell so im scared to pay $2k for one and not like it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I totally get that. I haven’t found any used ones at all. How much should you pay for a used one? Also what’s a reasonable amount I should expect to have it repainted if I find one?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Finding used shells or tonneau covers is very hard for us Titan owners. Gotta be real patient. On my last 2 vehicles (Toyota Tacoma and Toyota Tundra) i had ARE shells and loved them. I would love a shell for my Titan but i have a midnight edition and i have never seen any pics (or in person) of my style truck with a shell so im scared to pay $2k for one and not like it.
For the midnight addition you might want to look at the high end shell with the curved rear glass and flush dark tint side windows. ARE has thee CX Revo. Not sure what the others offer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah I totally get that. I haven’t found any used ones at all. How much should you pay for a used one? Also what’s a reasonable amount I should expect to have it repainted if I find one?
Mine is one year old. The purchase price including tax and install was $1825. I paid $400 cash. It is not in perfect condition but at that price I am very happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've priced out an ARE Z series with a Yakima rack from my local dealer. Its like $2700 ?. Back when i drove Toyotas, finding a used shell was easier. I found a used Leer 100xr with rack & carpet for $750 for my Tacoma.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HI, I have the SoftTopper. Bought it in Oct 18. Its been great. I bought to protect my mammals from the sun and to cover anything in the bed. Also, I like that I can fold it up if I want to transport anything large(motorcycle). Downside, its not designed to work well with the NISSAN Storage boxes. I love that I can roll the sides up and provide airflow. It is doing great with wet weather too. I am not using the fore/aft windows. The one close to the cab slaps(buffeting) around too much when driving. I have travelled from S Florida as far as Phoenix with it. Does well.
titan.jpeg
Titantopper.jpeg

·
Premium Member
75,023 Posts
Of all the one's I've researched I liked this one the best:

I do not however like the price tag.

I didn't feel like the softtopper matched the body lines of the Gen 1 enough for me to purchase one. I do like how versatile it is to stow though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HI, I have the SoftTopper. Bought it in Oct 18. Its been great. I bought to protect my mammals from the sun and to cover anything in the bed. Also, I like that I can fold it up if I want to transport anything large(motorcycle). Downside, its not designed to work well with the NISSAN Storage boxes. I love that I can roll the sides up and provide airflow. It is doing great with wet weather too. I am not using the fore/aft windows. The one close to the cab slaps(buffeting) around too much when driving. I have travelled from S Florida as far as Phoenix with it. Does well.
View attachment 542281 View attachment 542282
I personally think the softoppers look great! Especially for the price comparison. My main concern with going with a soft one is theft. Have you had any issues of theft or anything? I used to have a roll up tonneau on my old truck and while that was pretty much the same security level, I feel like people might be more tempted to peek into a softopper

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
The average passerby has zero interest in what’s in the truck bed. Buy what fits your needs and enjoy your setup.

Clint

1 - 18 of 18 Posts