Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get everybodys feed back on what they feel is the solution to the high gas price mess. Long term which do you think is the solution and why? Ethanol, Nuclear power, Hybrid, Hydrogen, a combination of all of the above. Anything else that isn't listed feel free to share your thoughts.

·
Registered
908 Posts
all the above.

does not matter what we think. the oil companies run the world, it is up to the powers that be to go to war with the oil companies and go forward with the new technology.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Conservation would be nice on an economic scale.

·
Registered
976 Posts
all of those are alternatives, but for the long term, Hydrogen (most abundant gas on earth and can be potentially extracted from from several different molecules) and nuclear power are our best options, both strategically and environmentally.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
konigfritz said:
Taking over the world?!

Walking to work, Driving less, dismantling china. I don't think there is one answer.
I agree with you 100% there isn't a silver bullet thats going to solve this mess, a lot of it is pure greed theres a lot of people getting rich right now of the black gold or texas tea , so the prices will be high enough for them to get rich but not high enough for us to find real alternative solutions anytime soon.

·
Registered
455 Posts
i say the best way to reduce high gas prices is to conserve. the whole world revolves around automobiles and gasoline, so i know we will never stop using it. some other alternatives i am interested in are CNG (compressed natural gas) and ethanol.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
P's Titan said:
get rid of the illegals, like in another thread there's a good 2 million cars off the road. Most pile 8-10 in a car that fits 5 so we kno thats burning extra gas
But P,
When those cars crash, more than 5 die because there are too many in the car in the first place. So what you are saying is we need more car crashes?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I remember conservation of fuel in the 70's. When we started to reduce our usage, OPEC cut production resulting in higher prices. Over-production/high inventories is the only way pricing will drop, and will continue to drop as long as there is a surplus.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
The problem with Hydrogen is it is so explosive. Yes it is wonderful for the enviroment but it pollutes the enviroment to make it. I really think that hybrid will be the way. It is the quick fix and you dont have to change the entire substructure to make it happen like Hydrogen.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Most of the alternative fuel systems that are available now are heavily subsidized by the government, so the true savings are deceiving. The best way to help would be to downsize, but most everyone would have to do this. There are WAY too many people in the US driving crew cab 4x4 trucks just so they can go get their three bags of mulch every spring. Too many large SUV's also. Until a grass roots change is made, not much will happen; of course until supplies start to be rationed, then all of the gas sucking trucks will only be used two days a week with the ten gallons of gas allotted each week to each household.

·
Premium Member
92,269 Posts
Saab has been experimenting with "green" vehicles. Check out the latest:

http://www6.autonet.ca/Autoshows/story.cfm?story=/Autoshows/Geneva/2007/03/12/3743441.html

The BioPower 100 puts up some impressive numbers, such as a 0 - 62 mph acceleration time of just 6.6 seconds and 50 ? 75 mph (fifth gear) in only 8.2 seconds. It has a limited top speed of 250 km/h and almost 85% of the vehicle's 295 lb.-ft. of torque is available at only 2,000 rpm

Not too shabby.....

·
Registered
801 Posts
Good article, I wonder if their doing R&D work with Saturn? I just saw the new commercial last night and it tries to convince you that Saturn (GM) is ontop in the hybrid concepts. I'm open to suggestions to get better MPG while keeping the speed.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
diesel diesel diesel!! it takes less to refine and has more energy (by volume) than gasoline - you can blend it with plant oil to keep our farmers alive and reduce pumping from the ground - turbocharge it to get good power -- the new exhaust clean up the emissions very well - use current hybrid technology to make it even better in the city.

a toyota prius would get 20-30% BETTER mileage than right now if it were a diesel! But americans don't like Diesel cars - my neighbor has a toyota diesel pick up from 1984 that still gets 38 mpg!!

check this link click on e class sedans and put your pointer over the E320 BLUETEC
http://www.mbusa.com/vehicle-showroom.do

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
First build more Nuke power plants with the new technology that has been developed by GE, Westinghouse and the Feds. Then build electric cars capable of running 150-200 miles per charge. A service station would consist of a service lane where you pull your electric car into and drop your charging connector under the car to a charging grid. 60 seconds later you pull out. We could continue to build the big trucks for towing and whatever but go to diesel or other fuels which might be developed in the future. This is about the only answer for the next 50 years. Electric is here now and would require the least modifications to our infrastructure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you guy's here about what Texas is trying to do ?? They are going to take off the state tax during the summer time and that amounts to about 20 cents off.... It's great to live in Texas...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts