Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my truck has been doing this lately and not really sure how to explain it so I took a short video of what it's doing. Sorry for the low volume my phones mic apparently didn't pick up the sound all that well.

I noticed whenever it does this that the battery needle drops but I just bought a new battery about three weeks ago. It was doing this before the new battery also.

YouTube - Truck

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am thinking one of two:
1) your alternator is going or gone bad
2) bad spark plug

·
Premium Member
15,661 Posts
your starter spins fast, but your truck takes forever to start.. that is all i hear besides the beeps mentioned.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks TitanOscar for the informative input and thanks bestatchess for your input as well.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I didn't even read that post you put... the sound I'm talking about is the truck is just turning over and over and over and finally starts. It's kind of quiet.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just take your truck down to an auto zone or something similar and have them check your alternator for you. try changing your spark plugs too

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Weaksauce OEM battery teminals?

L

·
Registered
56 Posts
Go to autozone or where ever and have them test both the alternator and battery. I am pretty sure they do it for free. Check your connection at the terminals, make sure they are clean. If none of that works look at what bestatchess wrote...

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
I agree with Best on this one. A bad alternator doesn't cause starting problems other than a dead battery. Spark plugs would cause it to run badly.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
ur starter is going out...thats my bet anyway. if your alt was bad your truck would do nothing when u turn the key, it might click but thats it. Plugs will cause it to run bad, but they wouldnt cause it to turn over for so long before start up. The relay would be my second guess.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Sorry I didn't even read that post you put... the sound I'm talking about is the truck is just turning over and over and over and finally starts. It's kind of quiet.
Ahhh ok. Well....it's not a battery, battery terminal, starter or alternator problem. It has a very strong, solid crank which eliminates those right off the bat. What's left is spark or fuel. I'd pay attention more to spark...since there have been issues with the IPDM relay. In fact I believe there may even be a recall on certain year Titans. Next would be the fuel pump since there's no filter to be bothered with. You could always just stop by the dealer and have a tech come out and take a listen. It's free and couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
the IPDM relay prevents the truck from starting completely, or causes it to die. a relay either works or it doesnt. its not something that intermitanly works or takes a second to warm up.

If it was his plugs not getting proper spark the truck would miss fire and/or run bad. it wouldnt only be at start up, but i could be wrong

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
the IPDM relay prevents the truck from starting completely, or causes it to die. a relay either works or it doesnt. its not something that intermitanly works or takes a second to warm up.

If it was his plugs not getting proper spark the truck would miss fire and/or run bad. it wouldnt only be at start up, but i could be wrong
You could be wrong?...Hey...that's MY line!...lol...I was wrong just a few minutes ago...AGAIN!

·
Premium Member
15,661 Posts
it sounded like it spun fast, which would tell me it has good power from the battery. but takes a good few seconds to start. maybe clean your maf? check filter? how many miles?

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
You could be wrong?...Hey...that's MY line!...lol...I was wrong just a few minutes ago...AGAIN!
i am too. thats what its all about though. learning, figuring it out and helping each other.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts