Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that this is becoming more and more popular these days. From what i can tell it is used more in forced induction applications? And that it somehow offsets the timing and/or detonation risks? Alcohol, particularly methanol has a higher knock resistance than gas, plus it provides some additional charge-air cooling when injected in ahead of the blower in the inlet duct. Supplementary alcohol injection may also alleviate the need for upgrading a production based fuel system to huge injectors, bigger fuel pump & lines when boost calls for it.(The Grand National guys use this alot) That in turn minimizes ECU-recalibration issues and avoid slow speed idle quality and driveability woes. So...........my question is, how can "WE" use this application? S/C folks do you think this will help you? And anyone dreaming of a turbo setup like myself will this help as well??? How is it mixed and how often do you use it. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I was looking into that for my truck. Cooler is always better. I might still do it. I want to first enjoy my truck for awhile before I do anything else.

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QShip said:
I was looking into that for my truck. Cooler is always better. I might still do it. I want to first enjoy my truck for awhile before I do anything else.
It sounds beneficial to me. My only concern is tuning for you Qship. Would you try to log and get Stillen to send you a different piggyback?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was talking to an old tractor puller last weekend and this came up. He said it has to be 100 proof, not 200 proof as one might think. He also said it instantly lowers the manifold temp. He said you can get a HUGE boost in HP by doing it! He also said that the trouble with E-85 is that they mix too much gas in with it. (Alcohol is about 135 oct.) I was half asleep and at the time only half interested, so I lost much of what he said, But thought I would add what I heard....

Steven

·
Registered
105 Posts
Works best with superchargers or turbos. A fine mist is sprayed before throttle body of denatured alcohol and water. Usually I use a 60/40 mix alcohol/water in my supercharged Dodge Dakota. I could only run 6psi of boost on pump gas before it started pinging. With the spray I ran 9psi all day long. Also if your injectors are maxxed out it makes it run a lot more rich. Buys you time before upgrading to bigger injectors. In mine I fill my windshield wash resevoir so when it gets low I have my low washer light come on on my dash. The water turns into steam and evaporates the heat out of you engine. The alcohol works like race fuel. I have the Snow Performance progressive kit that starts spraying at 1.5psi and ramps up to full spray at 6+psi.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
roy365 said:
It sounds beneficial to me. My only concern is tuning for you Qship. Would you try to log and get Stillen to send you a different piggyback?
I would check the A/F ratio and see if Stillen and others think the p-back needs tuning.

·
Registered
237 Posts
XCITE said:
Works best with superchargers or turbos. A fine mist is sprayed before throttle body of denatured alcohol and water. Usually I use a 60/40 mix alcohol/water in my supercharged Dodge Dakota. I could only run 6psi of boost on pump gas before it started pinging. With the spray I ran 9psi all day long. Also if your injectors are maxxed out it makes it run a lot more rich. Buys you time before upgrading to bigger injectors. In mine I fill my windshield wash resevoir so when it gets low I have my low washer light come on on my dash. The water turns into steam and evaporates the heat out of you engine. The alcohol works like race fuel. I have the Snow Performance progressive kit that starts spraying at 1.5psi and ramps up to full spray at 6+psi.

BINGO! I couldn't have said it better myself. One thing to add to that though. I would have the correct size injectors and tune the engine for 11.5-11.8:1 a/f ratio and then spay the alky-water on top of it. Using alky(or methanol)-water injection isn't really suppost to take place of to small of a fuel component/system, its to aid it.

*squalking about how it works in a nutshell*
Living out in the desert, the alky-water injection is a must even with a huge intercooler so it keeps the air temps down. I don't know of any computer that wouldn't increase the timing(if tuned correctly) when it sees low a/f ratio and cooler intake temps. Basically if your running 17* timing above 4600rpms with your a/f ratio at 11.7:1 and your air intake temp(AIT) is 170*(say its 100* outside), then you add alky-water injection and your AIT goes down to 115, in the engines ECM, you could bring the timing up(say to 19-20*) because of the lower temps and added fuel running through the alky-water injection system to your engine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
True with the injector thing. I have 8 26psi injectors and 2 30psi injectors. In my case my spray is just so I can run more boost. My a/f is pretty straight across at 11:1. I'm installing forged internals currently so I can run 16psi. I will still have to get bigger injectors for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts