Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towed for the first time with the new T on Saturday... just my ice trailer about 3500 pounds w/ around 500 lbs. in the bed. Wasn't very impressed with the Titan sorry to say. The power and tranny were ok, but the general feel with the trailer wasn't very confidence inspiring. Maybe I'm spoiled from my F350? I towed the same setup with my 08 Tundra double cab longbed 5.7 and it felt much better IIRC. I did turn the rear shocks up from 5 to 9 and it seemed to help a lot, so maybe when my RAS goes in and I get better shocks it will be a lot different? I was just expecting more with the decent power and such a long truck, thought it would feel better especially with how light the setup is. Mileage kinda sucked but I was expecting that, power was close to the Tundra on the freeway, but I definitely need a programmer for that damn 40mph restriction, a little scary getting on the freeway one time. Anyways rant over, I still love the truck, the looks, the interior and features and the feel unloaded, just was expecting more. Thanks for listening to the b*itching :)

By the way the trailer popped my trailer running light, who's the retarded Nissan engineer that put that fuse under that wire bundle??? PITA! Now rant over :coolsmile

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
'10 CCLB F350 FX4, Spartan 250,5" exhaust,2.5" lift,CAC tube,DIY intake,EGR delete,5000k HIDs, 500 hp club

well of course it disappointed you ^^

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Towed for the first time with the new T on Saturday... just my ice trailer about 3500 pounds w/ around 500 lbs. in the bed. Wasn't very impressed with the Titan sorry to say. The power and tranny were ok, but the general feel with the trailer wasn't very confidence inspiring. Maybe I'm spoiled from my F350? I towed the same setup with my 08 Tundra double cab longbed 5.7 and it felt much better IIRC. I did turn the rear shocks up from 5 to 9 and it seemed to help a lot, so maybe when my RAS goes in and I get better shocks it will be a lot different? I was just expecting more with the decent power and such a long truck, thought it would feel better especially with how light the setup is. Mileage kinda sucked but I was expecting that, power was close to the Tundra on the freeway, but I definitely need a programmer for that damn 40mph restriction, a little scary getting on the freeway one time. Anyways rant over, I still love the truck, the looks, the interior and features and the feel unloaded, just was expecting more. Thanks for listening to the b*itching :)

By the way the trailer popped my trailer running light, who's the retarded Nissan engineer that put that fuse under that wire bundle??? PITA! Now rant over :coolsmile

I have the same LWB PRO-4X and tow a 32' 8500LB TT and it tows like a dream! The only thing I can think of is that you're right about being spoiled having towed with 1 ton truck or you're not correctly set up. Now I don't know what an ice trailer is so I have no idea how long, high it is either. Once I set mine WD hitch and sway control the right way (took a few tries), it towed amazingly well. I've towed this trailer with both my 04 SWB Titan and the my 08 longbed Titan. The new LWB is a nice jump in control compared to my 04. In fact, I've even left my friction sway control completely loosened with no ill effects (loosened it to back the trailer an forgot to tighten it again). I've never towed it with a 1 ton so I have nothing to compare it to but I'm very comfy towing with mine.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
and the tundra being a doublecab long bed probably has a longer wheel base than the t. That will help keep you more stable

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tundra might've been a little longer, but not by much if any. The cab on the nissan is quite a bit bigger than the double cab yota and Nissan's bed is only a foot shorter... the ice trailer is a 12' utility type trailer with a 6'6" tall freezer on it (for ice carvings)... kinda catches side winds, but overall an easy tow. Now I know it'll be better with my planned mods, just figured a truck this large would do better with such a small trailer. It does do better than my wife's old '04 GMC ext. cab shortbed 5.3 tho, I was just expecting pretty close to the Tundra. Of course last time I towed with that truck I already had e-load range Michelins and Timbrens, so not apples to apples... can't remember how it towed stock it was so long ago. Anyways I do really like this truck and plan on having it for a long time, just wanted to complain to my forum buddies :teeth:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
What's the "40 mph restriction"?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the power restriction under 40mph on these trucks, don't have a programmer of any sort on it... once you get past 40 it moves pretty good, just getting in front of some traffic onto the feeder one time was when I could've used it. Guess I've just gotten spoiled from diesels after all...

·
Super Moderator
161,502 Posts
I'd have been spoiled, too. 500 hp and some ungodly torque figure would have a way of doing that. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just to be clear i wasn't expecting the thing to tow like my diesels, the Tundra sure as hell didn't but I was just expecting a little more, not wanting to knock everyone's vehicles on here or anything I'm still happy with it, just wondering if anyone else's didn't live up to expected towing-wise when they were stock. Thanks for listening again...

·
Super Moderator
161,502 Posts
I can't honestly say I was disappointed. Keep in mind I've never had a diesel, but this truck/trailer combo is my 4th. The 4th vehicle I've towed with and the 4th trailer I've towed, this trailer being the largest thus far. I'm quite pleased with it. I had more sway than I wanted or was happy with at first, but after really getting the W/D hitch dialed in, it's awesome. With the Titan, I've towed this trailer bone stock, and now with a few mods. It's different now. Not necessarily better, just different.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Titan and flat towed a Nissan Xterra behind it. I noticed that I could feel the Xterra behind the Titan more than I did when I towed it behind a 35' Class A motorhome.

But that doesn't really make me disappointed in the Titan.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
the power restriction under 40mph on these trucks, don't have a programmer of any sort on it... once you get past 40 it moves pretty good
You need a handheld programmer (bullydog, superchip's) to get rid of the TQ management. That's the 40mph restriction. I think you'll like it a whole lot more. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think i could actually feel the sarcasm as you were typing that El Equis... not saying I was expecting it to tow like the f350, just have had five trucks in recent times, three of them gassers so I'm not going to compare it straight to my diesels.... like I've been saying the whole post not knocking the truck in general just wondering if anyone else has similar experience... guess I'll tow the same load with a Beetle then go back so the Titan will feel better if I'm going with Equis' perception of how I think...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts