Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 year old bagged his first do we are so excited. I filmed it with the camcorder but got so excited for him that I didn't have the deer in the camera when he pulled the trigger. He shot it with a remington crack barrel style in 7.62X39 with wolf 153 grain softpoints. He didn't make the best shot, but got both front legs and tore up her belly. I had to track her about 150 yards through some thick brush and a creek. It looks like the cheap wolf soft point does a good job, I am a bit surprised. Great little youth gun hardley no recall and fits him great. BTW it weighs 120 lbs, and mine yesterday only weighed 90 lbs so he is rubbing it in. Anyways here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
nice job Dad! I was a bit older when I shot my first one. Nw it's time for a dinner party....lol

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
WOW !!!!

We were just talking about it earlier yesterday...Good to see some boys being boys these days, instead of being glued to the TV or computers all day everyday....

Congrats !!!!

Don't be bragging too much Helo.......LOL

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. This weekend is the youth weekend, we just got back from the stand and he could have gotten another one but we decided to let it pass so maybe his brother will get one this afternoon. We saw about 10 does and one buck, but only three does were within his range.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Great job for the both of ya. Tell him congrats for me.
The 7.62X39 is way underrated for deer. It has almost the same ballistics as the 30-30 and we all know how many deer that round has put in the freezer.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tnbowhunter said:
Great job for the both of ya. Tell him congrats for me.
The 7.62X39 is way underrated for deer. It has almost the same ballistics as the 30-30 and we all know how many deer that round has put in the freezer.
Thanks, I will tell him. I think that the 7.62X39 will make a bigger impact on the youth market soon. I almost got him an sks because I wanted the round, I didn't even know remington made a rifle for it. I found it at a gun show and bought it right when I saw it.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Megw3788 said:
That's awesome! Tell him congrats! :cheers:
Thanks I will. He was so excited.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4wheelpeel said:
Welcome Jr. tell your bro I said nice deer. So what kind of truck are you getting when you are old enough to drive? lol
I didn't even know that was posted. I guess I have to find out if he actually posted that or not.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4wheelpeel said:
Welcome Jr. tell your bro I said nice deer. So what kind of truck are you getting when you are old enough to drive? lol

I just asked him and it was his brother that posted that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was 12 when I got my first deer here in wyoming its a little diffrent than most other places 12 is minimum age to hunt big game, one deer a year and a very limited season, Sep 15 till Oct 31. There is special permit seasons that run from nov into dec. Id kill to hunt big game this time of year. (no pun intended). Also up here there isnt much private land mostly wilderness and desert BLM and national forest. but we got elk and moose, Id trade every deer hunt I ever went on for some of my better elk hunts.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
crash2045 said:
I was 12 when I got my first deer here in wyoming its a little diffrent than most other places 12 is minimum age to hunt big game, one deer a year and a very limited season, Sep 15 till Oct 31. There is special permit seasons that run from nov into dec. Id kill to hunt big game this time of year. (no pun intended). Also up here there isnt much private land mostly wilderness and desert BLM and national forest. but we got elk and moose, Id trade every deer hunt I ever went on for some of my better elk hunts.

Kids at any age can hunt here, they just have to be with a adult until a certain age. I don't know what that age is, because I don't feel mine are ready to hunt by themselves yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts