Nissan Titan Forum banner

Sound Deadening

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Call_Sign_Maverick 
#1 ·
Well, I've had my truck for 4.5 years now, and I am starting to get the mod itch real bad.

I don't know what all I am going to end up doing, but I think what I want to start with is doing some major sound deadening.

What areas should I be focusing on in the Titan to apply sound deadening material?

Is there a brand or type of sound deadeniing that is best to use price to performance wise?

How much material will I need roughly?

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
I've used secondskin damp pro in a few cars an really liked how it turned out. It's a lil on the pricey side, not as bad as dynomat. Another good deadner is Raammat BXT. its not as thick as the secondskin but is still good. When I get to that point in my truck the back wall an doors are going to get the most attention. If you trying to eliminate road noise I'd start on the back wall an floor an if you wanted to take it further then hit the doors.

#6 ·
I've used Dynamat and Stinger Roadkill. I found the Dynamat to be easier to put on. Deadening difference? Hard to tell. I did all four doors, inside the door cavity and then on the side where the panel goes. I then did the back wall and floor. It helps.

On my '91 Ranger I shot Great Stuff expanding foam into all the cavities. It took 7 cans of that product and it's pretty darn quiet in the cab. Be careful with that stuff as it can break things when it expands.

#7 ·
FatMat is the shizz! Good product at a good price. As RyBo said it takes a long time to get it done. I did mine in the winter so I have to apply heat (the wifes blowdryer), so I would say do it on a hot day.

#8 ·
#9 · (Edited)
18" x 32" = 576 sq. in. x 9 = 5,184 sq. in. / 144 sq. in / sq. ft. = 36 sq. ft. 200 sq. ft. / 36 sq. ft. = 5.56 x $140.95 = $783.06 to do the truck or $783.06/200 = $3.91/sq. ft.

Sounds kind of expensive to me. Check out the alternatives and look in the audio forums for group buys. E-dead, B-Quiet, RaaMat, FatMat, Peel & Seal, etc.

If I was doing it over, I would be inclined to use Storm Guard (comes in 36" wide rolls) from Home Depot or Lowes for the floors, although some folks say it doesn't stick well on vertical surfaces. But it is cheap, I used it along the drip edges and around skylights when I re-roofed my house and it seems to be about the same stuff as the BQuiet that I used.

This guy used the cheap roofing stuff and said it works ok:

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/lownslownissan/

#10 · (Edited)
18" x 32" = 576 sq. in. x 9 = 5,184 sq. in. / 144 sq. in / sq. ft. = 36 sq. ft. 200 sq. ft. / 36 sq. ft. = 5.56 x $140.95 = $783.06 to do the truck or $783.06/200 = $3.91/sq. ft.
After looking at your math I see what I did wrong, yeah thats not a good deal at all.

Is there a site sponsor who sells this stuff for a reasonable price? I guess I don't care what brand, just as long as its good value performance/price wise.

I checked out that link with that guy with the S10. Sounds like he had good results, but it kind of looks like crap. Taking your time you could probably make it look nice, and I guess it doesn't matter if it gets hidden away.

#12 ·
I did use the StormGuard. It's very inexpensive compared to the normal sound deadening material. However....
1. It does NOT conform to curves or bumps well. Even when heated with a heat gun.
2. It is not as thick at Dynamat. It takes two layers of StormGuard to equal the thickness of one layer of Dynamat.
3. It is not as sticky at Dynamat. I did not use it on vertical surfaces, only the floor.
4. It is easier to cut
5. It does not have the heat layer like Dynamat. This is the foil backing that most mainstream sound deadener has.

I have a buttload of StormGuard left over. Anyone in the Denver area is welcome to come by and take the whole thing or part of it.

#13 ·
I did use the StormGuard. It's very inexpensive compared to the normal sound deadening material. However....
1. It does NOT conform to curves or bumps well. Even when heated with a heat gun.
2. It is not as thick at Dynamat. It takes two layers of StormGuard to equal the thickness of one layer of Dynamat.
3. It is not as sticky at Dynamat. I did not use it on vertical surfaces, only the floor.
4. It is easier to cut
5. It does not have the heat layer like Dynamat. This is the foil backing that most mainstream sound deadener has.

I have a buttload of StormGuard left over. Anyone in the Denver area is welcome to come by and take the whole thing or part of it.

I'm on my way....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.