Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are at the drag strip and pull up to the line and I cut a .004 light and I am gone. The guy in the Lightning forgot which pedal was the gas and cut a .926 light. I enjoyed treeing this guy and I'm sure he won't forget the way my back end looked leaving him sitting there, lol. We all know what happened next but with my headers a little weight reduction and a short belt, I would have beat him. After all, driving is part of it and I will beat this guy one day with a 1 second slower Titan, lol.
:boxing:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Even with weight reduction, short belt and some headers you probably won't win. Toomnymods is one of the fastest titans in the world and his times don't even contest a Lightnings. Most run sub 14's stock. Good job on treeing him though. What times did you both pull? Care to scan the time slip in or take a picture of it?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
just got back from wally world and was looking at magazines and front cover was a 2nd generation?? lightning with 1500 horse twin turbo ! is was NASTY!!! ill try and find a pic

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
yea 99% the lightnngs i see run like 8.6 1/8th miles and 13.7 or lower 1/4's I can beat one on nitrous provided the track hooks hard, 50-60F temps and he is bone *** stock with street tires, but they add on drag radials or slicks theirs no chance,lol

·
Registered
478 Posts
killcatzforfun said:
just got back from wally world and was looking at magazines and front cover was a 2nd generation?? lightning with 1500 horse twin turbo ! is was NASTY!!! ill try and find a pic
He's known as Johnny Lightning and he is the fastest lightning. Runs 8's in the 1/4.

Toomnymods, I didn't mean to bag on your ride with my post, hope it didn't come out that way. I have mad respect for anyone who is kind of a pioneer with their ride. You ar efiguring out what it takes and that is way cool.

What do you think it would take to contend with an L? Supercharger and spray?

·
Registered
160 Posts
your right papa-D. driving is just as much a part of it as how many ponies u got under the hood. good job gettin him off the line.
i was wondering do any of you guys with auto's do the shifting yourself? do you find any difference with your times? i have tried it on an empty road and it FEELS stronger when i shift it later. but its hard to tell because im payin more attention to my shifting and tach. i would love to get 2 a point where i can smoke a lightning.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
HemiRam228 said:
He's known as Johnny Lightning and he is the fastest lightning. Runs 8's in the 1/4.

Toomnymods, I didn't mean to bag on your ride with my post, hope it didn't come out that way. I have mad respect for anyone who is kind of a pioneer with their ride. You ar efiguring out what it takes and that is way cool.

Johnny Lightning Performance isn't the fastest lightning, that title belongs to Ralph Voorhees http://www.dragtrucks.com/voorhees.htm fastest Lightning in the world.

JLP does have the fastest 2nd gen Lightning though.

The fastest street legal Lightning is http://www.9secondlightning.com/

·
Registered
319 Posts
HemiRam228 said:

If you want to "contend" with an L on a regular basis, you'll need a blower or turbo. Spray is ok on the strip, but for everyday use, a blower or turbo. I'm not sure anyone make a turbo or supercharger "kit" for the Titan.

·
Registered
319 Posts
BTW...catching a tree sleeper by .9 is great...but that ain't a win unless you cross the finish line first. :upsidedow

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HemiRam228 said:
Even with weight reduction, short belt and some headers you probably won't win. Toomnymods is one of the fastest titans in the world and his times don't even contest a Lightnings. Most run sub 14's stock. Good job on treeing him though. What times did you both pull? Care to scan the time slip in or take a picture of it?
I certainly would care to scan them, lol. And I beg to differ as far as contesting his times because if I leave him sitting at the tree, have my headers, short belt, wt reduction and drag radials instead of snow tires, lol, I am gonna give these guys a run for their money every week and beat a few. The time slips I posted below are a couple of the turbo folks I ran last Friday and as you can see from the slip on the right, Turbo Acura I was .5577 away from this guy. The slip on the left was the Lightning and I had these slips confused which was not hard due to the fact I treed both these guys badly and they ran very similar times. I know I ran the Lightning first so the left one must be his. I was 1.24 seconds away from him so lets do some math. My best run to date in this weather is 15.08 and the fact that I'm sporting two extra cats right now in preparation for my headers is killing my times although I did manage a 15.15 that night so we'll start the calculations there. 15.15 instead of 15.40 and the gap narrows to .9922 seconds. My tailgate, spare tire, bed topper, extra Bpipes with resos attached sitting in the bed, half case of oil and cooler have to be worth at least two tenths of a second so the gap narrows to .7922. A short belt conservatively is worth a tenth of a second so now we are at .6922. I still Haven't Added in the headers which have to be worth at least three tenths and now we are at .3922 seconds. Throw in some drag radials and some traction bars and that's gotta be worth another tenth so now we are at .2922. By this time the Acura Turbo is toast and since I don't plan on adding nitrous or throttle body as soon I won't figure those items. My light couldn't get much better but after watching these guys it's not hard to imagine their lights being slow enough for me to eek out a few win lights. I'm kinda sleepy so see if you can disprove my sound math theory, lol. Somebody has to drive them and I have no doubt I would stomp a mud hole in this guys a$$ in a bracket race and give him a good run as well as beat him every now and then heads up due to his poor reaction times. If I was driving his truck and him mine, well you know what would happen then, lol. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fepony said:
BTW...catching a tree sleeper by .9 is great...but that ain't a win unless you cross the finish line first. :upsidedow
You better find some drivers for the 3 Lightings that come to my track or I'm gonna have to embarrass 1 or 2 of them, lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You should have titled this thread "hole-shotted a Lightning" as you didn't really spank it. With the 450 lbs of torque stock, they can be a handful off the line if your not careful. Adding some type of traction bars will really make them hook-up and knowing how to feather the throttle will cut the 60 foot times. Just because someone owns a Lightning doesn't mean they know how to drive it. Good Luck on your quest to beat one and I hope you do someday. A little competition is good for everybody..........:D

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I love my Titan, but a Lightning SVT will beat the stuffing out of a Titan unless you run nitrous and many mods, then it might be a tie. They run 13.700 stock.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Matooch said:
You should have titled this thread "hole-shotted a Lightning" as you didn't really spank it. With the 450 lbs of torque stock, they can be a handful off the line if your not careful. Adding some type of traction bars will really make them hook-up and knowing how to feather the throttle will cut the 60 foot times. Just because someone owns a Lightning doesn't mean they know how to drive it. Good Luck on your quest to beat one and I hope you do someday. A little competition is good for everybody..........:D
The title was just bait for the off brand guys. Is everyone present and accounted for yet, lol. This is war STORIES after all and I am entitled to a little artistic license. My truck is no daisy off the line either and that's just part of driving but I think we're still missing one or two other brands of trucks in this thread. Where are the SS's and Tundras. Come on out to Speed World Dragway and we'll see who can and can't drive, lol. It's all in good fun and no offense is intended, just a friendly race or two is all I'm about and I hope to see you guys at the strip.
:cheers:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm ready anytime. I love to race.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sudden urge said:
I love my Titan, but a Lightning SVT will beat the stuffing out of a Titan unless you run nitrous and many mods, then it might be a tie. They run 13.700 stock.
They will only win if they leave the line soon enough. If they stick around ordering pizza or spin a little and give away almost a second at the starting line, I will make them pay for that at the finish line, lol.
:cheers:

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fepony said:
I'm ready anytime. I love to race.
Your truck will be so heavily modded by the time you get done I might as well race a jet truck so what would be the point. RT to RT I will take you on. Post your best time slip and let's compare RT's, lol.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
HemiRam228 said:

haha awesome thanks, i was googling it for like an hour and i couldnt remember who built it or anyything... but that thing is nasssttyyy

·
Registered
319 Posts
Papa_D said:
Your truck will be so heavily modded by the time you get done I might as well race a jet truck so what would be the point. RT to RT I will take you on. Post your best time slip and let's compare RT's, lol.
Here's the slip from last weekend when i lost to the SRT-10 single cab/6 speed. Not my best time but it was VERY hot and humid. I'm on the right side.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fepony said:
Here's the slip from last weekend when i lost to the SRT-10 single cab/6 speed. Not my best time but it was VERY hot and humid. I'm on the right side.
A very good tree, you left him sitting there, maybe you should come to Central Florida to show your fellow Ford drivers how those lights work because it's a mystery to them and I will make them pay, lol.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts