Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some new tires today and had the best old one put on my spare. When I got back to the office, I found a plastic part sitting on my bumper that looks like a semi-squashed funnel with a bracket on the end. I googled the number on it and it comes back as "GUIDE-HANDLE ROD,SPARE WHEEL."

Here's a link to a parts diagram. #57237 in lower right.

I think this acts as a guide when you put the handle in the opening under the tail gate to lower the spare. Looking through the slot under the tail gate, I can't really see that this does a lot. Also, not sure from diagram, put it looks like it's held in place with what I'd call a Xmas tree clip.

Do I even need this for anything?

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
374 Posts
Did the tire shop take it off? It might be more of a protect the truck from metal to metal breaking the protective paint seal and allowing rust

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I'd say you won't need it until you have a flat, in the dark, on the side of the road somewhere, and then you'll be cussing yourself for not reinstalling it. I'm not sure if it installs with clips or bolts, but I'd put it back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say you won't need it until you have a flat, in the dark, on the side of the road somewhere, and then you'll be cussing yourself for not reinstalling it. I'm not sure if it installs with clips or bolts, but I'd put it back.
Good point. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine came off when I was trying to remove the spare for my bed removal prep. It was held on by those big plastic push rivits like what holds on fender liners. The winch was so rusted and frozen, I had to cut the chain with a salzaw.

·
Registered
2009 King Titan SE Flex G10
29 Posts
I just took off my spare to inspect and that same piece fell off with two of the retainer clips 05 mentioned. Your intuition is right fb and its just a guide for the small gap between the back of the bumper to the key hole. I’m keeping mine off, so I guess I’ll update as well if any issues..

·
Registered
2009 King Titan SE Flex G10
29 Posts
Got some new tires today and had the best old one put on my spare. When I got back to the office, I found a plastic part sitting on my bumper that looks like a semi-squashed funnel with a bracket on the end. I googled the number on it and it comes back as "GUIDE-HANDLE ROD,SPARE WHEEL."

Here's a link to a parts diagram. #57237 in lower right.

View attachment 546411

I think this acts as a guide when you put the handle in the opening under the tail gate to lower the spare. Looking through the slot under the tail gate, I can't really see that this does a lot. Also, not sure from diagram, put it looks like it's held in place with what I'd call a Xmas tree clip.

Do I even need this for anything?

Thanks for any replies.
What size tire did you replace the spare with? Was there room to fit a bigger tire?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts