Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so BLUF.

I have a roof rack and a trailer hitch option. Mounting the tire in the bed is out of the question. (it's the sleeping quarters for camping), and it's a 35 inch tire so the undercarriage is not in play either.

I have a defender roof rack system, it's rated to hold 140 LBS. Will this stand the test of time mounting a 35 inch tire without damaging the mounts? Time as in road trip from Harrisburg, PA to the outter banks, NC for a week, some beach driving, etc etc, then return trip.

OR

would a trailer hitch mount be more practical? I do not plan on towing anything.

Roof rack mount is $10 cheaper than the trailer hitch mount, anyone have Pros or Cons for either method? I'm leaning towards the trailer hitch mount due to easy access and less weight on top of the vehicle.

This tire will only be mounted on trips, it will not remain mounted for daily use.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
If you're only mounting it for trips, I'd go trailer hitch or bumper swing out mount if you want to keep it on more often. The act of putting a 100lb tire/wheel combo on and off your roof will be a bigger deal than you think. Especially on the roadside where you'll be changing out to the spare.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Throw it in the bed and take it out when you sleep (they make tire bags too). Save the money. If you have to put it on the hitch for sure. Getting the tire on and off the roof will be a pain in the *** for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts