Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sparkplugs.com has received a lot of questions in regards to the performance gains and reliability of newer spark plug technology. They decided the best way to decide if some of the newer technology is just a gimmick, or if they have some true performance benefits would be to have them dyno`d. Therefore we took seven different types of spark plugs (stock Champion nickel, NGK nickel, NGK single platinum, NGK double platinum, NGK IX iridium, Denso iridium, and Pulstar pulse plugs), sent them to an independent dyno shop, and thought we would share the information with you.

The test vehicle was a stock 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, provided by Manny Gomez, a member of SRTForums.com (screen name: hawkable). The test was performed on a Mustang Dyno. We completed three runs for each plug in a cold, warm and hot state. We then averaged these runs to find the final average horsepower and torque numbers. There is a link below that points to the location where all of the dyno sheets can be reviewed. All results are based on the vehicle factory-specified gap setting of .050", except for the Pulstar plug, which had a maximum manufacturer recommended gap of .045".

After testing, the Pulstar plug had a horsepower advantage, having both the highest peak horsepower (205.95hp) and the highest average horsepower (204.04hp). The NGK Iridium IX showed the second highest average horsepower (203.78hp), and highest average torque (230.27 lb-ft), however, the NGK Iridium IX also displayed the most reliable and consistent horsepower figures. The Denso iridium showed the highest peak torque (235.96 lb-ft), third highest average horsepower (203.67hp), and second highest peak horsepower (205.51hp) and average torque (229.74 lb-ft).

All testing performed by Design Craft Fabrication for Sparkplugs.com

To see the complete set of dyno charts at Sparkplugs.com, click here.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Lets see what the differences are with naturally aspirated V8s

·
Premium Member
19,562 Posts
I suppose if you're looking for a little bit more power the Pulstars might be worth it. But for me, not at $25 each. $200 total for spark plugs? Wow!

·
Registered
66 Posts
What are the advantages of the iridium plugs over the stock ones ...... I do not even know what the stock ones are. (More power, longer life, cost.....?) My truck has 90,000 on it and I may be interested in the group buy thing 2. Larry

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the advantages of the iridium plugs over the stock ones ...... I do not even know what the stock ones are. (More power, longer life, cost.....?) My truck has 90,000 on it and I may be interested in the group buy thing 2. Larry
The stock plugs on most Titans are double platinum.

Comparing a set of standard plugs, which last 30k miles to a set of iridium (60k), double platinum (apx 90k) and iridium/platinum (apx 120k), the main advantage is longevity. There's also the technology there for an increase in fuel economy and added hp, better idle and acceleration.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just put some Bosch platinum 4 in my titan....only because thats all the part store has in stock and i didn't have time to wait around but they seem to work really good but thats not saying much because the stock ngk plugs where shot i don't know how the motor ran lol

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just put some Bosch platinum 4 in my titan....only because thats all the part store has in stock and i didn't have time to wait around but they seem to work really good but thats not saying much because the stock ngk plugs where shot i don't know how the motor ran lol
interesting....let us know how they do long term!

·
Registered
1 Posts
A friend of mine recently replaced his NGK plugs in his titan with a set of brisk racing plugs, after he told me about them i put a set in my dodge as well... really pleased with this product and would recommend them for anyone really.. take a look, www.briskracing.com

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A friend of mine recently replaced his NGK plugs in his titan with a set of brisk racing plugs, after he told me about them i put a set in my dodge as well... really pleased with this product and would recommend them for anyone really.. take a look, www.briskracing.com
We'd really like to bring Brisk in, we've been trying to for the last year, but we've had a hard time with timely communication with a US rep, makes us a little worried about attention to orders so we haven't really pushed it. Maybe in the next few months we'll try again.

·
Super Moderator
36,739 Posts
Maybe he means someone who is tied to the hood who can look at the shocks as they are working when off road. Or perhaps, some one that will hold the spark plug wire will he cranks the ignition, all while being off the road?

:rofl:

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe he means someone who is tied to the hood who can look at the shocks as they are working when off road. Or perhaps, some one that will hold the spark plug wire will he cranks the ignition, all while being off the road?

:rofl:
Sounds dangerous. I like it!:teeth:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I see the E3 Diamond Fire advertised every where. Are they as good as they claim?

·
Registered
66 Posts
What is the recommended interval to change the stock plugs? I have an 08 with 31k

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is the recommended interval to change the stock plugs? I have an 08 with 31k
These trucks come with either a platinum or iridium plug, which is a long-life plug. Iridium is supposed to be good to 100000 like Duran said. You may have a platinum plug though which isn't quite as long-life as iridium.
You'd more than likely be fine to 100K, but if you really wanna be safe you could change them at 90K.

I see the E3 Diamond Fire advertised every where. Are they as good as they claim?
The science is definitely there and it makes sense. Many have seen improvements with them, but whether or not YOUR motor will see improvements I cannot say foresure.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts