Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is there a noticeable(performance / fuel eco.) difference from the NGK double plats (OEM) to the NGK 5443 Plat IR.

2005 SE KC 4X
That's a very difficult question for me to answer since we've never done any dyno runs on a Nissan Titan. Both are very high quality plugs, and as such I wouldn't expect there to be too noticeable a difference in the two, but only real testing would reveal the truth.

·
Super Moderator
36,739 Posts
what you mean? :D Anyway.. i have a question and i know you guys know about it.. In the summer, if I park the car in the bright sun with no shade, sometimes I'll get in and it won't start. When this happens, I'll pop open the hood and notice that some of the spark plug wires have come loose from the plugs. So I press them back in place and the car starts right up.

What could possibly be causing this? What is it about parking in the hot sun that would make the wires come loose? I go through this ordeal every summer, then the problem vanishes for the other three seasons of the year.
Gremlins perhaps?

·
Premium Member
19,562 Posts
what you mean? :D Anyway.. i have a question and i know you guys know about it.. In the summer, if I park the car in the bright sun with no shade, sometimes I'll get in and it won't start. When this happens, I'll pop open the hood and notice that some of the spark plug wires have come loose from the plugs. So I press them back in place and the car starts right up.

What could possibly be causing this? What is it about parking in the hot sun that would make the wires come loose? I go through this ordeal every summer, then the problem vanishes for the other three seasons of the year.
I have never heard of this. You're kidding, right? The spark plug wires at the spark plug are secured with a bolt. Did someone leave the bolt off of yours?

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

odd. is this on the titan? plug wires or coil on plug units?

·
Premium Member
19,562 Posts
The Titan has the coil at the spark plug. So 8 coils.

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
odd. is this on the titan? plug wires or coil on plug units?
Ok, so assuming this is your titan we're talking about. and the bolts are in place, 3 things i can think of:

1-let's double check the plugs you've got in there and make sure they are correct. some plugs may be the same from the hex down, but are shorter on top, which means some wires and coil systems would have a hard time making a connection.

2-if we confirm the part is the correct height, i'd pull all the coil packs off, add dielectric grease to the connector and reconnect.

3-id also check the condition of the coil packs while you have them off. If you have a lot of miles on your truck and/or you live in the desert, it may be that the rubber/plastic is just warped (and therefore shrunk a bit) and the packs need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
19,562 Posts
See the attached diagram. The coil pack/spark plug boot is secured with a bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
To the OP, I have heard of the Pulstar plugs causing CEL's in certian applications, mostly when it's a coil on plug design. Have you heard anything about this?

How is your return policy on them? I have a Dodge ram hemi that uses two plugs per cylinder, and $207 for sparkplugs to try them out would be an expensive mistake if they throw codes...

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Any tests on this new E3 plug? I work for advance and have had the actual company rep come to talk to me about them...there U.S. based and operated...They are only Copper cored but,come with a 100k warranty...There tec laughed and said that copper is still the best electric conductor and the other stuff ie. platinum,iridium,etc. is just for longevity...

·
Super Moderator
36,739 Posts
Gold would be the best conductor .. :)

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Actually, since electricity only flows on the surface of the conductor, gold plating should be fine. But it won't survive the heat! LOL

·
Super Moderator
36,739 Posts
Well, that depends on the type of electricity. ^^^ HAHA!

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
To the OP, I have heard of the Pulstar plugs causing CEL's in certian applications, mostly when it's a coil on plug design. Have you heard anything about this?

How is your return policy on them? I have a Dodge ram hemi that uses two plugs per cylinder, and $207 for sparkplugs to try them out would be an expensive mistake if they throw codes...
Around 60% of the negative talk on Pulstar that I read is from people who have never actually tried the plugs - they're either just repeating what they've heard from others, or they're from the school that spark plugs can't affect an engine's performance - for good or bad. The other 39.9% I read is from people who have actually tried the plugs, but received part of the bad manufacturing batch that occurred a few years back. Since that time, Pulstar has fixed the manufacturing defect and has made further improvements to the technology.

In summary, I haven't heard from anyone about the plugs throwing codes in recent years. Also, in most instances where something like that occurs, or the plugs aren't performing as well as they'd hoped, customers have reported that after they called the tech line and worked with Pulstar's techs, they were able to work out whatever was going on and got the plugs to work great.

Unfortunately, it all boils down to the fact that every engine is different, and the best performers are somewhat random and unpredictable, even within the same engine manufacturer. Import2nr did see a ridiculous 16hp increase with pulstar over the OE ngk's in his 04 SE.

But the cool thing about Pulstar is we fully back their 100% guarantee. If you decide to bite the bullet, and aren't happy with their performance, just send them back to us for a full refund.

Just a word of caution - many users have found it can take multiple tanks of gas before they start seeing optimum gas mileage and performance. We believe that it takes the ECU some time to adjust to the technology and learn how to work with it.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I have not had any issues with mine but someone else who put his on a month or so after I did had issues but never came back on to let us know what the cause of the plugs going bad was. He cut out his cats did the IPDM relay and replaced the plugs. But we all know if the IPDM goes bad it can cause a chain reaction of bad plugs and bad cats. So I'm not sure the plugs were even at fault in his situation. Link to El Mamito USMC thread about his issues. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-problems-dealer-service/128677-problems-pulstar-plugs-wtf.html

Here is the link to my dyno results http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/113371-pulstar-dyno-testing-2.html#post2129087
And yes it was Brand new plug vs brand new plug on the same dyno on the same day.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts