Nissan Titan Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Any tests on this new E3 plug? I work for advance and have had the actual company rep come to talk to me about them...there U.S. based and operated...They are only Copper cored but,come with a 100k warranty...There tec laughed and said that copper is still the best electric conductor and the other stuff ie. platinum,iridium,etc. is just for longevity...
Yeah, the whole precious metal thing is a big can of worms that manufacturers like to cat fight about. Here's the facts:

The Truth About Copper
Almost every single spark plug in existence has a copper core. Period. That's just the way that plugs are manufactured because copper is such a good conductor. However, its melting point is just slightly higher than gold, and therefore can not be used on the plugs shell or electrodes. There is no such thing as a copper spark plug.

A-Many people mistakenly call a standard nickel plug a "copper plug".

B-Manufacturer's play off the common knowledge that copper is a good conductor, and use the word copper in their product titles and marketing techniques.

I'm not sure which came first - the chicken or the egg. However, the truth is, all spark plugs have a copper core, even those with iridium or platinum tipped electrodes.

The Truth About Precious Metals (Iridium, Platinum, Etc.)
Many people say that platinum and iridium do nothing to enhance performance - that statement is, to a great degree, in fact true.

Fact: Electricity follows the path of least resistance.
Fact: A smaller electrode requires less voltage, or energy, for the spark to jump the gap.
Fact: A smaller electrode has less surface area with which is can squelch, or inhibit the growth of the flame kernal.
Translation: Thinner electrodes encourage ignition of the air/fuel mixture, and reduce misfires, which equates to an increase in power and fuel economy.

Fact: The metal of a plugs electrodes wear over time, requiring their replacement.
Fact: A smaller electrode made of nickel will not last as long as a larger electrode made of nickel.
Solution: Manufacturer's coat the tip of the fine wire electrodes to increase their longevity. They use precious metals such as platinum and iridium, which have increased strength and a higher melting point over nickel.

I refuse to make a blanket statement that precious metals absolutely do not affect performance because dyno sessions will show that they can, and do. You can take an NGK GP platinum plug (fine wire, single platinum) and an NGK IX Iridium plug (fine wire, single iridium), test them against a standard nickel plug, and there IS a difference in performance. In most cases we've seen, the single iridium plug performs better than the platinum. In some cases the standard nickel plug actually performs better than the fine wire single platinum. And we have seen, though it is extremely rare, times when the single platinum plug out performed the single iridium.

So, going back to E3...
The technology behind the E3 design is scientifically sound. (This applies to the original E3 design, not to the new "E3 Classic" that was recently released.) It is a similar concept to a surface gap plug, where the plugs design helps promote growth of the flame kernal. It is able to last as long as it does because of its similarities to a multi-ground plug. There is more ground electrode, therefore, more surface area to be eroded.

We have been an E3 distributor since 2008. I'm unsure as to when exactly they were released on the market.

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Actually, since electricity only flows on the surface of the conductor, gold plating should be fine. But it won't survive the heat! LOL
Interestingly enough, NGK and Champion have produced plugs that contain gold. In most cases, the gold isn't used as a top coat, or plating as is the case with iridium and platinum tipped plugs. It is usually mixed in with palladium or some type of alloy. Champion discontinued the line a while back, but we still have some of the plugs. NGK still produces the plugs, but they are mostly for racing applications (8+ heat ranges).

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Around 60% of the negative talk on Pulstar that I read is from people who have never actually tried the plugs - they're either just repeating what they've heard from others, or they're from the school that spark plugs can't affect an engine's performance - for good or bad. The other 39.9% I read is from people who have actually tried the plugs, but received part of the bad manufacturing batch that occurred a few years back. Since that time, Pulstar has fixed the manufacturing defect and has made further improvements to the technology.

In summary, I haven't heard from anyone about the plugs throwing codes in recent years. Also, in most instances where something like that occurs, or the plugs aren't performing as well as they'd hoped, customers have reported that after they called the tech line and worked with Pulstar's techs, they were able to work out whatever was going on and got the plugs to work great.

Unfortunately, it all boils down to the fact that every engine is different, and the best performers are somewhat random and unpredictable, even within the same engine manufacturer. Import2nr did see a ridiculous 16hp increase with pulstar over the OE ngk's in his 04 SE.

But the cool thing about Pulstar is we fully back their 100% guarantee. If you decide to bite the bullet, and aren't happy with their performance, just send them back to us for a full refund.

Just a word of caution - many users have found it can take multiple tanks of gas before they start seeing optimum gas mileage and performance. We believe that it takes the ECU some time to adjust to the technology and learn how to work with it.
I don't suppose you have any dyno results or any customers with the Hemi engines running the Pulstars? I just want something that can justify spending the extra coin (in my head)...:teeth:

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Quite a few years back - with the original Pulstar design, a Dodge 1500 Hemi owner tested Pulstar against the stock plugs in his truck. Link Here. He reported an increase of 14hp, and 1/2mpg city/hwy. However, he was comparing Pulstar against the OE plugs already in his truck - which were relatively, but not brand spankin new. Also, he tested and ran the calculations using installed chips and tuning software rather than an official dyno pull.

More recently, we dynoed a series of 15 plugs in an 05 hemi Durango, however, Pulstar wasnt available for that engine.

I do have dyno results for 16 plugs in a CA18DET engine, and 17 plugs in an 08 Dakota.

The conclusion I've reached today: EXTENSIVE DYNO SESSION NEEDED!
There's a total of 17 plugs available for the Titan between NGK, Autolite, E3, Bosch, Denso and Pulstar. That doesn't include any plugs available from Brisk, Accel, Blue Lightning, etc.

I think I'll start a poll asking what plugs you'd like to see tested in the Titan to see how many plugs we'd be talking about. ...Any voluntary guinea pigs out there?

·
Super Moderator
36,739 Posts
I want to be on the list ... I need some tuning anyway with the new headers

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Well I for one pretty much have it narrowed down to the Pulstar or the E3 plugs...just trying to figure in a return on investment for the significant price difference between them...Im at 88k so I really need to move on a set soon

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Well it was almost three weeks since any activity on this, so I broke down today and just bought the pulstars...hopefully they will dyno out the best and I wont be dissappointed

41 - 47 of 47 Posts