Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive never replaced to spark plugs on my t and i see all the fuss about it in some of these threads...my question is how big of a difference does it really make? i have 123k miles on em and i dont notice any difference and it never misses or anything like that...any input?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well I did mine around 50k. They are good for 100k so I would say you are do. Here is my install/thoughts

Bought these plugs….

Turns out the SM says you can use 3 variations of theses plugs. Standard, Cold, Hot, depending on your driving conditions. I used the Standard plugs… Oh, the plugs are pre-gapped. Do not even try to measure the gap or you may break the tip and cost you $9.99.

Tools needed.

3/8” ratchet
5/8” or 16mm spark plug socket
10mm socket
6” extension
2” extension
Anti-seize
Dielectric grease
Torque wrench

I changed them out in cylinder order. The hardest where #7 and #8 which are the farthest back. I did not need a swivel as some have said for #8…

The grease and anti-seize

Each plug has its own coil on top of it. Held on with a 10mm bolt. Remove bolt and pull coil/boot off the plug.

Plug #1

Remove plug. They were not that tight. I suppose Nissan’s 800 lb gorilla had the day off when my truck was built.

#1 plug

Before installing the new plug put dielectric grease on the top of the plug and anti-seize on the threads.

Thread plug in by hand gently so as not to cross thread it. Get it finger tight then torque to 18 ft lbs…

After torquing the plug I could not get the socket off the plug without the extension pulling out thus leaving the socket down in the well. My solution was to put masking tape on the extension then putting the socket on and proceed to torque them down. The tape made the socket very tight on the extension.

Removing plug #2…

#2 plug

#3 coil

#3 plug

#4 plug

Half way home.

Removing #5

Plug #5

Plug #6

For access to plugs 6 and 8 you will need to unbolt this wire harness bracket and twist it upward. Plugs 6, 7, and 8 required both 6” extension and 2” combined…

#7 plug

Removing #8. The hardest one to get too…

#8 plug

Done…..

Engine idles much smoother. I will check mileage soon. Hope I didn’t forget any details..

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I think the nissan engineers either threw a dart at board with a bunch of numbers and it land on 105,000 miles or they actually did some scientific research but it is hard to tell. Since you are pretty far beyond that mark you should probably change the plugs. I bet you will notice a difference once they are swapped out. I haven't got to the point yet to change out plugs on my T but when I had a Jeep I always felt the difference when I changed out the plugs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So what plugs does everyone agree on? I just turned 70k on mine and I'd like to change my plugs out.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I been searching and searching for a set of plugs for my 06 and every place I check does not have any in stock and some places dont eve carry the part # for them...

I have Tried Auto Zone, NAPA, Discount Auto parts...Trying to avoid the dealer to avoid a raping on the price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted to post and say thank you to krh2. This is my first post here on the TitanTalk forums. I am no novice when it comes to working on vehicles however, the Titan is the first V8 vehicle that I have owned and the first truck. Up until I bought my Titan brand new in October 2007, I had only had cars ranging from a 1986 Honda Civic CRX, to a 1998 Honda Civic EX and a 2003 Mazda Protege5. I recently rolled 75000+ miles and have felt my trunk running rough over the last few months. So today, I changed my oil, oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs. I purchased the spark plugs that krh2 mentioned above and then I used Mobile1 Fully Synthetic High Mileage oil, which is what I have been using since 45000 miles. The spark plugs took me about an hour and a half or so. I drive 50 miles one way to work 5 days a week and have been getting anywhere between 15 and 17 miles to the gallon so I am hoping to see a little increase in performance and mileage. Thank you again!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I wanted to post and say thank you to krh2. This is my first post here on the TitanTalk forums. I am no novice when it comes to working on vehicles however, the Titan is the first V8 vehicle that I have owned and the first truck. Up until I bought my Titan brand new in October 2007, I had only had cars ranging from a 1986 Honda Civic CRX, to a 1998 Honda Civic EX and a 2003 Mazda Protege5. I recently rolled 75000+ miles and have felt my trunk running rough over the last few months. So today, I changed my oil, oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs. I purchased the spark plugs that krh2 mentioned above and then I used Mobile1 Fully Synthetic High Mileage oil, which is what I have been using since 45000 miles. The spark plugs took me about an hour and a half or so. I drive 50 miles one way to work 5 days a week and have been getting anywhere between 15 and 17 miles to the gallon so I am hoping to see a little increase in performance and mileage. Thank you again!
Let us know how it rides after you change the plugs out. The Titan is also my first truck and I love it....

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Stick with OEM spark-plugs and make sure to change them when the engine is cold so you don't mess up the thread.

·
Premium Member
58,378 Posts
ive never replaced to spark plugs on my t and i see all the fuss about it in some of these threads...my question is how big of a difference does it really make? i have 123k miles on em and i dont notice any difference and it never misses or anything like that...any input?
I feel sorry for your truck. Would you say "ive never replaced the oil in my t and i see all the fuss about it in some of these threads...my question is how big of a difference does it really make? i have 123k miles on it and i dont notice any difference". Your T deserves better.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I did mine at 107K and noticed a difference in mpg's and response. It could have been a mind thing, but made me feel better.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Old post but you make a good point about over torquing. I've read the same when installing scope mounts in rifles.

It's too bad you can't figure out the actual torque rating when using a lube like anti seize.

·
Premium Member
20,674 Posts
I believe that the dielectric grease is supposed to go on the ceramic insulator of the spark plug, not the terminal. For what it's worth, the Nissan service manual doesn't make any mention of using either dielectric grease or anti-sieze. I'm planning to replace my plugs soon, likely before it hits 80k miles.

·
Premium Member
20,674 Posts
No, I'm going to pass on the anti-sieze and the dielectric grease.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I did them this weekend. It was a pain due to the room. The last one on the passenger side was the easiest because I took off the wheel trim and got it from underneath.

To my surprise they all could have been done that way.

When you do it jack it up and take the front tires off and get them from the wheel wells.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Now that sounds like a good idea. Changed my plugs while back and probably gonna be doing another change in near future. It was a pain for me cuz I'm not exactly a small guy. Wasn't that bad except the far back ones. But definitely liking idea of taking tires off and going that route.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Now that sounds like a good idea. Changed my plugs while back and probably gonna be doing another change in near future. It was a pain for me cuz I'm not exactly a small guy. Wasn't that bad except the far back ones. But definitely liking idea of taking tires off and going that route.

While I was doing it I remembered a post from Pops years ago stating to go that route.

I wish I had listened for the rest of them!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts