Nissan Titan Forum banner

Speaker Pop on start-up

1K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  strippedXE 
#1 · (Edited)
Yo

Recently had a friend install an MTX Thunder 4122 2-channel amp to drive Kicker 6x9s in front doors of my XE CC. I have Alpine CDA9856 HU, and Kickers in front and rear doors.

When I power up the HU, either by turning it on or off, or by turning on the truck's ignition, I get an annoying "POP" in the two front speakers. Homeboy says the amp is staying on even when the truck is idle. He insists everything is grounded correctly.

He says he will trouble shoot it, but it is hard to get the time to hook up. I would appreciate some leads on where to start when we do get together. Does anyone have any ideas of where to start?

THX!

#4 · (Edited)
Homeboy needs to test the grounds on both the amp and the head unit. I always install a relay on the remote wire as well. Ground the head unit directly to the chasis instead of using the ground in the factory harness. Makes sure the amp ground is as short as possible and all paint has been removed.

#5 ·
strippedXE said:
P-Dizzle

If you aren't BSing me, could you please elaborate? Why wouldn't this stuff work well in a Titan? I appreciate your sincere feedback, as I know you are quite knowledgeable in this arena... as I am not.

THX!
He was just busting on you. If you havent noticed 'dizzle is a bit of a joker....

Anyway, yes check all your grounds first. Make sure everything is tight and secure.

Also if your amp is staying on all the time then you should look into that because thats wrong. If you have the factory deck make sure you get the remote wire from an accessory wire that is only on with the ignition.

#6 ·
t22a80 said:
He was just busting on you. If you havent noticed 'dizzle is a bit of a joker....

Anyway, yes check all your grounds first. Make sure everything is tight and secure.

Also if your amp is staying on all the time then you should look into that because thats wrong. If you have the factory deck make sure you get the remote wire from an accessory wire that is only on with the ignition.
He has an Alpine HU. The amp could be discharging too quickly when powering off do to a poor ground and turning on before it recieves signal from your HU when powering on. The DC surge causes an annoying pop...

#8 ·
P-Dizzle said:
He has an Alpine HU. The amp could be discharging too quickly when powering off do to a poor ground and turning on before it recieves signal from your HU when powering on. The DC surge causes an annoying pop...
I missed this one...

It's only popping when powering on. When it powers off we got no issues.

P. since you directed me to your store, I am in the market for a 10" sub. I already have an enclosure and a Hifonics Zeus that I will power it with. :cheers:

THX!

#9 ·
strippedXE said:
I missed this one...

It's only popping when powering on. When it powers off we got no issues.

P. since you directed me to your store, I am in the market for a 10" sub. I already have an enclosure and a Hifonics Zeus that I will power it with. :cheers:

THX!
I would ground the HU to the chasis for sure.

That is tech12volts store. I am just around for morel support...:)

#10 ·
P-Dizzle said:
I would ground the HU to the chasis for sure.

That is tech12volts store. I am just around for morel support...:)
My bad, I missed that he had the Alpine HU. Yep... ground the HU and see if that helps...

MOREL like the speakers?? haha

#13 ·
P-Dizzle said:
Yeah, thank god T22 is a book worm....
I. R. not! :computern

#15 ·
See if that fixes it. If not its probably the ground that you have the amp wired to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.