Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
darn it, i do not like the speed limiter, some kind of "big brother's watching" computer control crap! i was just cruising along a flat desert highway (divided) when i noiticed my tach-o-meter was "stuck" on 3000 rpm and the velocity "stuck" around 100 mph or so.
what a load of crock!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I thought I read some where that the speed governor kicks in at 115 MPH. Plenty fast in my opinion, the governor will save lives I am sure. I think it is the knowledge that you have a bad *** truck with a big engine, that certainly could bury the spedometer needle if it were not for the governor that may be bothering you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's there to prevent you from exceeding the speed rating of your tires, and kill yourself and others when you have a blowout at 105mph. It's not a Porsche after all.

·
Registered
489 Posts
outahere said:
It's there to prevent you from exceeding the speed rating of your tires, and kill yourself and others when you have a blowout at 105mph. It's not a Porsche after all.

exactly right! Its 108 on the hemi's! It just keeps you from killing yourself. Gotta remember its a far drop with a blowout on a truck with large tires. At 100mph it would definantly throw you for a loop if you had a blowout. Limiter does suck, but only till you need it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ya ya sure it's a "good" thing

i KNOW it's good thang - that hemi-dude has a good point about "...far drop with a blowout on a truck with large tires..." :grimrippe but still don't like it.
i wouldn't SUSTAIN that crazy speed and be such a menice to society and self. :readclose

as my fellow CaliforniaTitan says below, i thought i'd have upto 114 mph (briefly).

i don't like helmet laws nor seatbelt laws either, but let's not get political. :boxing:

p.s.: i stayed around 70 mph (@ 2000 rpm) for few hours (and than i counldn't stand it no more), got 15 mpg on the highway

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Limiter on the Titan is set at 114 Mph which of course is plenty fast enough in 2.5+ tons of metal and tires rated just over that. IF you were 'stuck' at 100 though that makes me wonder......

(Not that I am an angel, Have had mine to 100 thus far-just briefly)

Chris

·
Registered
489 Posts
pluckyew said:
i KNOW it's good thang - that hemi-dude has a good point about "...far drop with a blowout on a truck with large tires..." :grimrippe
i wouldn't SUSTAIN that crazy speed and be such a menice to society and self. :readclose
i don't like helmet laws nor seatbelt laws either, but let's not get political. :boxing:

p.s.: i stayed around 70 mph (@ 2000 rpm) for few hours (and than i counldn't stand it any more), got 15 mpg on the highway

I guess Nissan has joined the Hemi club on fuel mileage. In the city it stinks royal!!!! Highway i cant complain. I got 22 on a 460 mile trip to NC from MD. Ofcourse it was all highway. Get it in the city, and your looking at 12 if your lucky. Gotta pay for power! Thats the bottom line! Also check your tire pressure on your trucks. low air pressure can cause a serious mileage loss. Mine was low from dealer. Dont know why they do this other then traveling the trucks in different climates, and dealer forgets too put proper air, but definate decrease if air pressure is not correct.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
got 22!

BudmanHemi said:
I guess Nissan has joined the Hemi club on fuel mileage. In the city it stinks royal!!!! Highway i cant complain. I got 22 on a 460 mile trip to NC from MD. Ofcourse it was all highway. Get it in the city, and your looking at 12 if your lucky. Gotta pay for power! Thats the bottom line!

got 22!? where you driving 60 mph average? that's increditble! (yeah i can't spell either :huh: )

·
Registered
489 Posts
pluckyew said:
got 22!? where you driving 60 mph average? that's increditble! (yeah i can't spell either :huh: )
I am suprised as your are! North east Md. to Thomasville NC. I filled up. its 454 miles exact. 36gallon tank. I made all the way. Yes, gas light was on, but i made it. Now i dont have a computer in my truck, cause some of us dodge owners cant afford that expensive stuff, but on a peice of paper if my caculations are correct i got 20 - 22 on that trip, and i was not doing 60. I got 3.55 gears, and 70 lays at 1900 rpms. On cruise alittle lower in overdrive. Oh, and i cant spell either!! LOL

·
Registered
250 Posts
CaliforniaTitan said:
Limiter on the Titan is set at 114 Mph which of course is plenty fast enough in 2.5+ tons of metal and tires rated just over that. IF you were 'stuck' at 100 though that makes me wonder......
Chris
He was probably stuck at 100mph because of the trailer he was towing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was trying to not chime in but I couldn’t resist. Why does it matter at all? If you wanted to go fast why didn’t you pick up a 350z. Why buy a full-sized truck to stretch it to its limits. The limiter isn’t there as a government regulation. It’s placed there by Nissan for those not smart enough to know they are driving in a truck. :futwice: Its those types of people that blow out their tire and run into a family minivan burning them all alive (um interesting image, crispy)

Went back in to edit for SPELLING. :jester:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
:hahafu:

Tikigod's the same dude with quote: "...Why tiptoe through life to
arrive safely at death?"
A 350z can't do much off-road.
Few minuits of over 100 mph aint gonna blow the tires: life's risky, you manage it, not avoid it.

Don't like that Nissan's speed limiter: It's bull...

I perceive my "Smoke Wagon" Titan as a hot rod & as an off-roader and I will be adding mods to that effect. :upsidedow

p.s. (unrelated) check out the 2004 Honda's CBR1000RR Fireblade!
:gotrice:
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motorin...rts/mcbr900.htm

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jeez!! All you guys need to lighten up on Pluckyew!!

The most obvious concern about triple digits is the speed rating on the tires,
but new tires are an easy swap
(bigger brakes & something to take care of increased rear end lift are a couple more issues)

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before an aftermarket company
has a new ECU mod for the Titan that removes the limiter
( www.JimWolftechnology.com )

There will be people interested in hot-rodding Titans, especially the 2wd models,
only a matter of time.

Allegedly Nissan has it's own factory hot-rod Titan in the works too.

What do you guys think of the Ram SRT10 or the Ford Lightning ???
both have 500hp & do about 150mph

different strokes for different folks I guess :cheers:

·
Registered
382 Posts
cnatra said:
jeez, all you guys need to lighten up on Pluckyew!!

the first obvious concern about triple digits & that's the speed
rating on the tires, new tires are an easy swap
(bigger brakes & something to take care of increased rear end lift are a couple more)

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before an aftermarket company
has a new ECU mod for the Titan that removes the limiter (Jim Wolf)

There will be people interested in hot-rodding Titans, especially the 2wd models, only a matter of time.

Allegedly Nissan has it's own factory hot-rod Titan in the works too.

What do you guys think of the Ram SRT10 or the Ford Lightning

Thank you cnatra. pluckyew obviously missed the point. But you hit it on the head.

·
Registered
115 Posts
pluckyew said:
Tikigod's the same dude with quote: "...Why tiptoe through life to
arrive safely at death?"
A 350z can't do much off-road.
Few minuits of over 100 mph aint gonna blow the tires: life's risky, you manage it, not avoid it.

Don't like that Nissan's speed limiter: It's bull...

I perceive my "Smoke Wagon" Titan as a hot rod & as an off-roader and I will be adding mods to that effect. :upsidedow
Do you drive 100mph while off-roading? tikigod is right, if you want to go fast, buy something built for that. I see you are from Berkeley. Where do you off-road around Berkeley?

tikigod, what's up from a fellow Z owner? I am looking to buy a Titan next year after they work out all the first year bugs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
cnatra said:
What do you guys think of the Ram SRT10 or the Ford Lightning ???

I've owned a Ram, piece of crap.
My dad owns a Ford F150, piece of crap.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Zpylot

Zpylot

lets assume that i, Pluckyew, has some common sense, eh? :upsidedow

I drive fast (and I've not gotten a speeding ticket in three years and i have car insurance with AAA) on the paved & divided highways on my way TO the numerous off-road possibilities in the vastness of geography that is within blessed Northern California and its nearby states: Oregon, Nevada, & Arizona!

After all, the famous "The Rubican" trail (one of many offroad trails in CA) itself is in Northern California. I romp/hunt/off-road/shoot/picnic in Snow Mt Wilderness, Yolla Bolly Wilderness, Kaiser Wilderness, Ishi Wilderness; Sisyone (sp?) Wilderness, "Lost Coast" & Blacksand Beach; Ventana Wilderness just to name a few. However, i do need to cruise about 2.5 hour on the well-kept California freeways just to get there...

I am also considering the 2004 350Z or the faster '05 Corvette [ fast toys, really], but likely to settle on a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR "rice rocket" [my wife's subliminally suggesting me away from this option ]and keep the rest of the dough in stocks, for a "rainy day."

Buying pricy new cars are real "torpedo" hits on the way to wealth building.

And da lovely wife wants to get an Airsteam Bambi trailer, too...

"Dodge dead again"...check this out:
http://forums.pickuptruck.com/showf...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

1 - 20 of 32 Posts