Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today talking to some people that work for my family, I was asking them if they could make better spider gears for the titan rear diff(reading here that the spider gears are the problem). And any other type of gear for the titan rear diff.

So basically they told me that they could make the spider gears, in the best type of material for a good price.

So my question is, would it be easy to change spider gears on the rear diff?

Whats the deal in making new gearing for a rear diff?

My family owns a company thats been working with VW, Nissan, GMC, Volvo, Ford, etc for the past 40 years making all kinds of parts, and we have our own brand of road tractors or tractor units..

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
really ??? thats cool to hear but im sure someone else will chime in. free bump :)

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
and another bump.

You could be sitting on a goldmine here for those that (I predict) WILL eventually have a rear diff failure after their 60k warranty expires. None of those people will want to replace their entire rear diff assembly and Nissan isn't selling anything other than the entire assembly. You could offer just the parts that need replaced. The price would obviously have to be considerably lower than the $550 TruTrac option though, as that is the only option right now. The TruTrac would be the higher end upgrade, and your parts would be the affordable upgrade.

Just my thoughts?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
54warrior said:
and another bump.

You could be sitting on a goldmine here for those that (I predict) WILL eventually have a rear diff failure after their 60k warranty expires. None of those people will want to replace their entire rear diff assembly and Nissan isn't selling anything other than the entire assembly. You could offer just the parts that need replaced. The price would obviously have to be considerably lower than the $550 TruTrac option though, as that is the only option right now. The TruTrac would be the higher end upgrade, and your parts would be the affordable upgrade.

Just my thoughts?
Just talking some numbers with the engineers, with the best material out there for gears, they gave me price much more lower than $550, around 200 or less even.

I just wanted to know how easy is to change the gears, and I am also looking to buy some spider gears out there so they can copy them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have a pic of the spider gears?? I think I saw a pic of some spider gears the other day, but I cant seem to find it again.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
maurimx said:
thanks for the link bestatchess...

The spider gears are the ones circled in this pic right?

Yes. There are also splined side gears which engage with the spiders and are probably made of the same stuff as the spiders. For that reason, and perhaps also becase of mating wear considerations, people usually change the side gears and the spiders at the same time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DeadRiver said:
another free bump....

hey, you guys don't make cams do you? there's a lot of interest in a cam for our motor...
nope, we dont make engine components. Sorry about that

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bestatchess said:
Yes. There are also splined side gears which engage with the spiders and are probably made of the same stuff as the spiders. For that reason, and perhaps also becase of mating wear considerations, people usually change the side gears and the spiders at the same time.

thanks about that info too.

I will show them the pics, and talk about price, etc..

I also need to get hold of some of these gears so they could basically copy them, but I dont want to pull mine apart for this.

Anywhere I could buy a set of these? From some one who changed to a tru-trac or something..?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Another issue is whether there have been any changes in the Titan differential from 2004 to present. It is reported that they went from 2 spider to 4 spider design at some point, although perhaps this pertains only to the e-locker. For 2008, they are advertising heavier axles. It remains to be seen (at least by me) exactly what this means.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bestatchess said:
Another issue is whether there have been any changes in the Titan differential from 2004 to present. It is reported that they went from 2 spider to 4 spider design at some point, although perhaps this pertains only to the e-locker. For 2008, they are advertising heavier axles. It remains to be seen (at least by me) exactly what this means.
Thanks.

Yeah the 4 spider design, but thats supposed to take care of the diff trouble. The problem is some people are out of warranty and their old diffs are failing. Thats what I want to avoid in my truck. I have an 06 OR/BT, so I dont have the 4 spiders in mine, and out of warranty because I am in Mexico.

I am just looking for a way of not paying 2000 dls for a new diff(down here in Mex, probably around 2800 dls for one), and still keep my e-locker.

I´ll keep looking for more info, and talking with the engineers and hear their input.

·
Registered
67 Posts
whats your address? paypal me the shipping plus $25 i'll send you the carrier with the spider gears. I only want the 25 because the akle is still together and it will be a hasle.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Might want to check your patent laws before you start looking to sell knock offs of Dana 44 parts. Just a warning as they may be protected.

·
Registered
67 Posts
But i think if you change the design of the gear you wont have any patent issues. And when you start getting into this your gonna find your costs get high, 8620 steel and case hardening to a 60 rockwell would be bulletproof but is all about the $$$

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bigtit said:
whats your address? paypal me the shipping plus $25 i'll send you the carrier with the spider gears. I only want the 25 because the akle is still together and it will be a hasle.
I will send you a PM with the address of our office in Texas.
You know how much for the shipping to Tx? zip 78045

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Smoke05 said:
Might want to check your patent laws before you start looking to sell knock offs of Dana 44 parts. Just a warning as they may be protected.
The engineers told me there are no probs with gear design, if there is a problem it can easily be solved. These are not knockoffs...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bigtit said:
But i think if you change the design of the gear you wont have any patent issues. And when you start getting into this your gonna find your costs get high, 8620 steel and case hardening to a 60 rockwell would be bulletproof but is all about the $$$
Basically they told me that around 60 dls per gear. With better steel than 8620 and hardening included..

I need them to see a gear so they can give a more realistic price.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts