Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I screwed up today. Had a container full of milk in the back on my way to work, and it tipped. The top wasn't secure and it dumped about 4 to 6 quarts out of the container, off of the rubber catch-all mat and into the rocker panel, which then ran from the back to the front. The carpet was soaked, as was the insulation UNDER the carpet. It was actually running out of the drain holes on to the ground. I tried water and paper towels but I had nothing else until I got home, which was like 9hrs later. The insulation was saturated and despite every effort with a carpet cleaner and a sponge, I couldn't get it all and now it smells like death inside the truck. How screwed am I? Is there something I can pour into there to eat up the milk?

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
bummer dude. all i gotta say, coming from 3 generations of dairy farmers...buy 2 gallons of milk, get home, pour one down the drain. :)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I had some "breakfast casserole" juice spill out of a container in the passenger seat a while back; it got all under the seat, in the foot vent and under the carpet. Got some basic carpet cleaner from food lion, took the seat out, and sprayed the hell outa it. The truck sat at a football game all day after the spill, and had an awful smell. Carpet cleaner + shopvac worked pretty good getting it out. Just let it air out as much as possible.

Reactions: Finn's Brood

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I think lots of clean water will be the best way to simply flush it through.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The only way you're going to get rid of the smell is to use a professional carpet extractor. Try calling around to some of the car detailers in your area and get a quote. Make sure they're going to actually clean the carpet and interior and not just shampoo the carpet and pour a gallon of air freshener on the carpet to mask the odor. If you'd like to try it yourself, buy a Bissell "Little Green Machine" and give give it a shot. Look for cleaner designed to eliminate pet odors since it'll be the strongest and have the best chance of getting rid of the odor.

Food stains and smells are some of the most difficult odors to remove. Man, just the thought of sour milk is making me gag! :fart: Sorry!!! Unfortunately, based on your description you may need to pull the carpet and padding and have them throughly cleaned or replaced... I'm thinking the padding may need to be replaced and the carpet cleaned top and bottom. The interior of the Titan isn't too bad to remove. IIRC, there are a few write-ups in the "Audio" section. Good luck!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Get a pet urine spray and use it. They attack the protiens in the bio-fluids and kill the smell that way.

·
Premium Member
58,732 Posts
This sounds horrible. I can't imagine how bad that smells. I wish I had so good advice but unfortunately I don't.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually have a little green machine and did what I could. Left the windows open and dumped a bunch of baking soda in the truck. I had to close the windows before I went to bed, (too many teens in the neighborhood). When I came out to go to work this morning, well lets just say I've smelled landfills that smelled better lol! Left the windows open all day at work and when I came back out it didn't smell. I even closed the windows and turned the A/C on. So I'm not sure, the windows are still open and I put some more baking soda inside. My fingers are crossed, I did get a hold of two detail guys I know who, after laughing at my expense said they could help me out so I guess I'll just see what happens. Rough month for the truck....

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hey man that sounds like a bad time. Good luck with getting that crap out of the titan. When i get groceries i put them btween the tailgate and the bed extender folded inside the bed. Works out good.

-Dave

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Sorry so late on this.
2 things..... You are either going to have to pop the seats, pull the rugs and completely scrub and flush with water and use a bacteria killer then let completely dry(mildew)
Or Replace the rugs completely

You may get lucky or you may have the smell forever..... Seinfeld episode

·
Registered
367 Posts
This happened in my previous truck. I shampooed the carpet right when I got home & left the doors open with the truck in the garage overnight to let it dry out & it never smelled.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far an open box of baking soda has done a great job. It's been really hot and humid here as of late an I haven't really noticed too much of an odor. Hopefully it'll stay this way

1 - 13 of 13 Posts