Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I basically completely cut off the 7pin plug that comes stock on my Titan and splice in a 4pin coming out? So all I would have was a 4 pin for hooking up trailers? About 6 months after buying my truck I noticed that someone had cut ALL the wires going into the 7pin and then spliced them back together for SOME reason...I don't know why but I would like to fix it! Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
There is a plug adapter that will allow you to use the factory 7pin connection with a 4 pin flat connection.

·
Premium Member
5,009 Posts
If you head to either u-haul or Wal-mart, they make a 7 to 4 pin adapter. If i understand the rest of your post, someone had previously cut and spliced the wiring going to the plug? If they used standard butt connectors with no heatshrink, I would get on that pretty quick and fix that before it's an issue. If you have a 'Fastenal' near you, stop in and see them. They carry what looks like a standard butt connector, but the sleeve is actually a heatshrink, so you just strip the wires, crimp them together and then use a heatgun or lighter and shrink it down. Trust me when I say that it will save you a headache sometime down the road when nothing seems to be working and it's all caked with corrosion.

Link to what i'm talking about:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/...ectors/heat-shrink-terminals/_/N-gj52yx&Nty=0

·
Registered
27 Posts
As far as why someone cut all the wires I would guess that they replaced a plug for some reason. I cut mine off and installed a $30 piece that has 4-pin and 7-pin connections on a sturdy metal bracket that I installed exactly where I wanted. It could be that the previous owner also wanted this sort of flexibility or maybe there was an issue and he/she wanted to take a $30 stab at an easy solution.

P.S. Sometimes when I'm doing these things to my truck I chuckle when I think about what the next owner will think/say when they see the aftermath of my tinkering. hehehehe.....

rc

·
Registered
720 Posts
The simple answer is "Yes, you can do that." However ...

If you look under the truck where the trailer connector is fastened, you will probably find it is plugged into the harness (just follow the wires from the 7-pin plug)

If this is the case, Wal Mart and most car part stores sell OEM type connectors that plug in to the harness and have BOTH 7 and 4 pin connectors on them with a nice mounting bracket. They cost $25-$30 (this is what I use since I regularly need both types of connectors)

By replacing your connector, you would get the 4-pin you want, keep the 7-pin and solve the "splice" problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts