Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed yesterday that when I turn left around a curve at around 30-40 mph there’s a high pitch squeal coming from my front left wheel area. It doesn’t do it if I’m going straight or right or faster or slower. My first thought was maybe a bearing going out, but last time a bearing went out it didn’t sound like this but who knows? My ABS, SLIP and VDC OFF lights have been on for a couple months but I’m not sure if that has any correlation to this. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Check the cable going to the hub could be bad also could be brakes or rotor. Also and big also check your exhaust after the muffler possible your exhaust rusted through and you cooked your wire harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake pads and rotor are new and fluid level is topped off.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the cable going to the hub could be bad also could be brakes or rotor. Also and big also check your exhaust after the muffler possible your exhaust rusted through and you cooked your wire harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a turn down after my muffler.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Check the shield behind the rotor. Could have gotten hit by something and when you turn it hits the rotor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed yesterday that when I turn left around a curve at around 30-40 mph there’s a high pitch squeal coming from my front left wheel area. It doesn’t do it if I’m going straight or right or faster or slower. My first thought was maybe a bearing going out, but last time a bearing went out it didn’t sound like this but who knows? My ABS, SLIP and VDC OFF lights have been on for a couple months but I’m not sure if that has any correlation to this. Any ideas?

I had the same issue through after I got my transmission, break fluid, and differentials worked on today I haven't noticed the noise. Not sure exactly what it was though. '08 4wd Titan.

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
Quick-n-dirty check: Jack up that wheel off the ground. With your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, try to move the tire back and forth. Then try and 12 and 6 o'clock. If you can feel any play, your bearings are toast. I did that test after I started hearing "bearing" noises coming from mine at around 90,000 miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have put bearings in my truck at 135k (Timken and Advance Auto hubs) and 204k (both sides again using SKF hubs).

Last time the drivers side bearing was because the abs, slip light came on and it was squealing like the caliber was locked up. I touch the brakes and it would stop (Tire would straighten back out then from the caliper on the rotor squeezing). It was the bearing coming apart and my rotor and the mounting bracket kept the wheel from falling off. Top of my rotor was trashed from the death wobble the tire had. Passenger side was replaced because it was howling again like the first time i did it.

Todd

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"My ABS, SLIP and VDC OFF lights have been on for a couple months"

Any codes? Maybe a wheel speed sensor or harness problem.
It did flash any codes.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have put bearings in my truck at 135k (Timken and Advance Auto hubs) and 204k (both sides again using SKF hubs).

Last time the drivers side bearing was because the abs, slip light came on and it was squealing like the caliber was locked up. I touch the brakes and it would stop (Tire would straighten back out then from the caliper on the rotor squeezing). It was the bearing coming apart and my rotor and the mounting bracket kept the wheel from falling off. Top of my rotor was trashed from the death wobble the tire had. Passenger side was replaced because it was howling again like the first time i did it.

Todd
Yeah I replaced both hubs with timkens about 2 years ago (100,000 miles ago)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, just checked my amazon account and it’s been since January 2016 since I changed them so almost 4 years ago (200k miles ago)! Man time flies.
Anyways, last time I used Timken and they run about $250 a pair. Found some TRQ on 1AAuto for $139 for the pair and they have very good reviews. Anyone have any experience with these?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just checked the front left wheel and wow. There’s a lot of play. Geeeez

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
Pulling the hub assembly can be a PITA. I used a three-prong gear puller, a BFH and a health dose of swear words. Banging on it from the back side while someone on the front side keeps tension on the gear puller helps. I did it solo, so I was busy on both sides.

Hopefully you put some anti-seize between the hub assembly and the spindle when you last did the hubs. I sanded the spindle and then applied the anti-seize. If the guy that bought my truck ever has to do the hubs again, he'll thank me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts