Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find anything that gave me enough info. I want to get an exhaust. I live in Washington where we have all four seasons. I go to the mountain every weekend in the winter and drive on the snowy roads. They put down a chemical, but not salt. How long would the aluminized exhaust last do you think? Obviously SS is better, but if aluminized could last 5 years or more that would be worth it to me. Should I go aluminized or SS? Thanks in advance for your opinion.

·
Premium Member
92,289 Posts
I've seen the SS ones drop out in 9 or 10 years. Aluminized in 4-5. Pretty much potluck. I'm in PA, and they use the chemical here as well. It even kills the SS ones, just takes twice as long. BTW, forgot to mention, I'd go stainless. The cost of two aluminized systems is more than one SS. Oh yeah, and I also keep my trucks for 10-12 years, so unless you plan to dump it in 2 or 4, you may want to go SS. Just my .03 (adjusted for inflation).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I too live in PA. Actually within 50 miles of Black Beauty. Its not actually a chemical. It is a liquid salt mixture that is usually reffered to as a "Brine" mixture. It lays and coats the roads much better and is much more efficient, but all that aside. Keep in mind the cost of having the exhaust installed or the cost you pay in blood to replace it yourself. As stated before 2 aluminized cost more than 1 SS and how much would you pay to have it installed. Hint if you take your Titan to a car wash with an underbody wash it may help in that it will help rinse/remove more of the Brine solution if you do it regularly...like once a week during the winter. Just my $.035000 ( further adjusted for the risinf inflation in the Pittsburgh PA area):banasex0r

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
titanteacher said:
I did a search and couldn't find anything that gave me enough info. I want to get an exhaust. I live in Washington where we have all four seasons. I go to the mountain every weekend in the winter and drive on the snowy roads. They put down a chemical, but not salt. How long would the aluminized exhaust last do you think? Obviously SS is better, but if aluminized could last 5 years or more that would be worth it to me. Should I go aluminized or SS? Thanks in advance for your opinion.
FYI. My girlfriend lives north of Cascade Park!

Chemical de-icer still will wear down metal so the question you need to think beyond your exhaust is what is the effect on the rest of the truck? (I would get it undercoated for sure...

As to your exhaust, aluminized will last 5 years provided that you wash your undercarriage...

I lived in Spokane and my aluminized pipes (not the muffler) as dead in three years...

For $540 you can get a SS Banks...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I had my 240SX for 15 years, 14 years with a Borla SS. The exhaust and muffler were holding up very well, no signs of failure and will probably outlast the car.

·
Super Moderator
159,635 Posts
Buy cheap, buy twice. Get the SS the first time around.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
thanks guys, i was trying to find out the same thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts