Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this problem yet?

I have a first year 2004 Titan with an extended 100,000 mile warranty. It currently has 59,100 + miles on it. About a month ago I was making a left when it stalled in the middle of the street. I was able to start it again and go on my way but it stalled within a mile. I took it straight to the dealer who had it for 4 days. At that time they told me the fuel pump went out so they replaced it. The next morning it had problems starting so I took it back to the dealer. They isolated the problem to a faulty IDPM module. The dealer told me it wasn’t covered under the so called "100k extended warranty" but that they would contact Nissan see what they could do to coax them into covering the charge for the fix. Nissan covered the charge for the fix...or so i am told...anyway, when I got the truck back 14days later I noticed that in addition to the engine being louder and idling ruff the acceleration wasn’t what it was before it took it in. A few days later the service person called me for the obligatory "they are going to send you a survey and I would like a good rating" call at that time i told him it wasn't running as smoothly as it was before i took it to them so he instructed me to bring it back in so they could take a look at it. Today I dropped it off and now they are telling me that the diagnostic is indicating the IDPM module isn’t functioning properly.

Has anyone else had these problems?

Back when they were having the break issue (rotors warping every 4k miles) I got a lawyer to deal with them after they attempted to fix it 3 times. Ultimately they fixed the issue and settled with me. I am now concerned that this is a serious issue that will be displaying itself as the first year titans reach the 60,000 mile mark. If you have had this issue I would like to know.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
First I have heard of it...and I know several people over 100k on there Titans.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I took my truck in for doing the same thing about a month ago. They first told me that my amp was causing the problem and i said BS. They looked more into it and said that it was the High Flow Meter Sensor. They told me that i put an aftermarket air filter in and that is what caused it. I have replaced the air filter from the stock one but it was one they sell at pep boys designed specifically for a titan. Needless to say they replaced the Sensor but it ended up costing me 900 dollars and no vehicle for a week. Dealerships are crooks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Was backing out of my driveway and truck shut off. Towed to the dealer and ut was under my extended warranty I th had to do with that "ipdm Module". Fixed and a month later got my NEW MOTOR! For free!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
There has been a few here at TT that had bad IPDM, mine included. Do a search and read up.

Also I am not 100% sure but I was told by top tech at my dealership when I had the cats replaced that if the IPDM goes bad it will cause the engine dump raw unburned fuel out the exhuast. This raw fuel will ruin the cats. 20K miles after my IPDM went bad my cats when bad.

·
Registered
16,113 Posts
I got a Fresh New IPDM ill sell you. i thought it was an issue on my truck, but it turned out to be the airflow sensor. stupid me ordered one before the problem was diagnosed. anyway, PM if your interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took it to the dealer, it was the IPDm, my warranty expired, but the service manager was nice enough to warranty it as goodwill. Alhambra Nissan for the win :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow, sounds like the same issue I just started having today. I went to the store and back, no problems. 3 hours later I went outside to move my truck and I was backing it into the driveway and then it stalled. Then it started up but was at not even 300RPM and was VERY rough, then it would stall. So tried again probably 10 times and now its got nothing. Sounds like no fuel is reaching the engine or something. Not sure.

I've got about 78,000 miles on my 2004.

·
Registered
167 Posts
UPDATE:

Bought a 2004 IPDM from Nissan and installed it in less than 10min. Fixed my problem. I'm sooooo happy.

On a side note: I've been borrowing my buddies extra car, PT Cruiser, for the last week while I was waiting to fix the truck, and on my way home the car stalled and went into limp mode(2nd gear only). I shut it off and restarted it and now its running fine but the check engine light won't go away. This sucks, I have the worst luck and now I'm going to feel like an asshole giving his car back with the check engine light on. Trying to figure out how to reset the ECU, with no luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 Titan with 110,000 miles on it. The only problem I've had with it is the back driver-side door wont open after an overnight freeze. Something in the door handle is shafted. Dealership said $400 to fix it. I have 3 other doors that work so that's ok with me.:bangit:

Last night, backing out of a parking spot, my Titan stalled out on me. It started back up immediately.:) On the way home that night it stalled again while I was going about 50mph... it just turned off.:huh: I put it in neutral and while rolling started it back up. Then at a stoplight, it acted like it was gonna shut off, but got me through the light. When I finally reached my apartment, it stalled again. I started it back up and it idled very roughly below 500rpm then shut off after a few seconds. It would not start for a few tries after that.:ftard: A quick prayer and it started back again and I parked it. The check engine has not been on nor any other warning lights. Whenever it stalled out, all the dash lights would flicker... check engine, fuel, oil pressure, battery... all of them. After looking on some forums for similar symptoms, I figured I'd buy a IPDM and give it a shot.:read: The next day I called the parts place at a dealership and picked it up. ~$210 with tax. I installed it this morning and Its been running great all day.:hat: I hope that's all it was. I'll post a followup if it turns out to be something else. Thanks for everyone's help!

...please forgive the smilies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This happened to me yesterday taking a left turn at low speed. Engine stalled as I was turning (no power steering and power brakes) and could not be started. Folks pushed me to the side of the road I was blocking. After 10 minutes it started. Fuel tank had 8 gal left in it. Could it be related? Gas cap not tight enough maybe? Dirt in fuel system? Started fine this morning. My titan crew is an 04 with 48,000 miles. Let me know what you find. Thanks -

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 06 LE and it has been stalling on turns and speeds under 50 mph. It has also been surging as well as having a really low/rough idle around 500rpm. What is going on? I won't let my wife drive it as I am afraid that she won't be strong enough to handle it in a stall on a turn. HELP...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the offer but I already resolved my issue...

I bought the IPDM, replaced only the ECM relay on my original IPDM and have been fine ever since.

Now I have spares of this relay which I can sell to anybody who needs that one relay which goes bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been having the same problem with my truck and have narrowed it down to the IPDM.....I think. My truck got to the point where it would not start at all, so I switched the fog light relay in place of the ECM relay and it started right up. Does anyone know if you have to replace the whole IPDM Module to prevent further problems down the road, or can you get by with just replacing the ECM relay?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts