Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I really need some advice, help or anything you can find that will help bring down the bill.

Bought an '07 last spring. Been nothing but great until this November. The truck will not turn over in th emorning when it is below 0. It will crank and crank but not turn other. I have to jump the vehicle each morning and then it starts and runs fine the rest of the day, unless it sits for over 8 hrs and then the starting problem begins again.

Went through three Duralast golds with 750 cca, so we are sure that isn't it. I changed out ECM and that wasn't it. So now I am at the dealership. After spending $500 on diagnostics, they determined the starter was drawing too much power. So they replaced it. Took it home on a Friday, all weekend long I still had the same issue. I took the truck in the next Monday. It has now been there for two weeks.

They said they would begin further testing at no cost to me. So they did and talked to Nissan tech guy. they swapped out the IPDM to see if that did it, and it didn't. They put in a 850 cca battery to see if that made a difference; it didn't. So they did more testing and in speaking with Nissan tech line they determned it is wiring, because not enough volts are going through the ECM to be distributed to the starter. So I gave them the ok to replace the wiring cluster and the positive fuse box. Stil not working.

Here is where we are at....
I have spent $900 and now with the recent wiring replaced I am in another $800. Nissan wants them to replace all moduals and wiring under the hood (i can't remember the names but it was like three things. That will be another $2000.

Is there anything I can do other then bend over further?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ouch. Stumped

·
Super Moderator
36,797 Posts
sounds like a bad fuel pump...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel pump is fine. That is evident by the fact that it will start every time you jump it...

·
Super Moderator
36,797 Posts
I would try a grounding kit before replacing every loom.

·
Super Moderator
36,797 Posts
The more I think about this the more it looks like the battery or the connections to. I know you check it, so that leads me to believe you have a resistance issue that a grounding kit could resolve.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see a lot of ppl having issues with cold starting on these '07 Titans. Nothing seems to be the same issue though. One is a ECM, the next is an IPDM, Then it is something else, but symptoms all seem to be related. Has Nissan acknowledged any of this? I don't see any related recalls for this year vehicle... Anything I have not run across that someone else has?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The more I think about this the more it looks like the battery or the connections to. I know you check it, so that leads me to believe you have a resistance issue that a grounding kit could resolve.
This was a thought I had a while ago. I would assume since the dealsership had been focused on the electrical, and the diagnostics/codes all point in that direction, that they were smart enough to check the ground. If not, unfortunately it would be too late because parts are already on order from Texas and should be in the dealership on Monday.

·
Premium Member
19,767 Posts
When you jump it, where are you placing the jumper cables on your Titan?

·
Super Moderator
36,797 Posts
This was a thought I had a while ago. I would assume since the dealsership had been focused on the electrical, and the diagnostics/codes all point in that direction, that they were smart enough to check the ground. If not, unfortunately it would be too late because parts are already on order from Texas and should be in the dealership on Monday.
Don't assume, ask. I tell you this because it was me who had to explain the bad relay to my dealership and they are HUGE. It was also me that had to get shipments of relays from Japan to fix the IPDM, until Nissan stepped up and made this a recall.

·
Premium Member
19,767 Posts
Try taking the negative jumper cable from the Titan battery post to a bare metal spot on the Titan. That way you are bypassing the cable. It's often the positive cable that is the problem but you can't bypass it unless you can find a distribution block upstream from the battery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't assume, ask. I tell you this because it was me who had to explain the bad relay to my dealership and they are HUGE. It was also me that had to get shipments of relays from Japan to fix the IPDM, until Nissan stepped up and made this a recall.
I hear ya. Do you think calling Nissan direct and explaining the issue and what has been done by the dealer will do anything? Would they reimburse any of the previous repairs the were done, which did not fix the issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try taking the negative jumper cable from the Titan battery post to a bare metal spot on the Titan. That way you are bypassing the cable. It's often the positive cable that is the problem but you can't bypass it unless you can find a distribution block upstream from the battery.
I will call the dealership on Monday. Talk about the ground and see if that is anything they explored. The truck is there for another week and a half for these replacements they are going to do.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Your situation sounds identical to mine. I'm about to go out and fiddle with mine and see what I can figure out. Already replaced the relay and it didn't work. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Identical to mine and I just started a thread "Coolant Temp Sensor location?" . I'm hoping its just this $35 part that fixes it. I won't know until Wednesday when it arrives.
My theory is the computer doesn't know it's cold out and is not compensating the air/fuel ratios to get it started. I'll let you know what I find out Wednesday. For now I've got to figure out where it is!!

Edit: I have a grounding kit so I don't think that is the solution.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Guys, I really need some advice, help or anything you can find that will help bring down the bill.

Bought an '07 last spring. Been nothing but great until this November. The truck will not turn over in th emorning when it is below 0. It will crank and crank but not turn other. I have to jump the vehicle each morning and then it starts and runs fine the rest of the day, unless it sits for over 8 hrs and then the starting problem begins again.

Went through three Duralast golds with 750 cca, so we are sure that isn't it. I changed out ECM and that wasn't it. So now I am at the dealership. After spending $500 on diagnostics, they determined the starter was drawing too much power. So they replaced it. Took it home on a Friday, all weekend long I still had the same issue. I took the truck in the next Monday. It has now been there for two weeks.

They said they would begin further testing at no cost to me. So they did and talked to Nissan tech guy. they swapped out the IPDM to see if that did it, and it didn't. They put in a 850 cca battery to see if that made a difference; it didn't. So they did more testing and in speaking with Nissan tech line they determned it is wiring, because not enough volts are going through the ECM to be distributed to the starter. So I gave them the ok to replace the wiring cluster and the positive fuse box. Stil not working.

Here is where we are at....
I have spent $900 and now with the recent wiring replaced I am in another $800. Nissan wants them to replace all moduals and wiring under the hood (i can't remember the names but it was like three things. That will be another $2000.

Is there anything I can do other then bend over further?
If I understand clearly. The problem is it will not crank at all or very weak? If so did they check for a parasitic draw?
Try leaving the battery disconnected for 8 plus hr and see the outcome.
Good luck

If u don't know how it works u can't fix it......Sent from my titan

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
This is true. RobKar cut one of the failed relays open and as an electrical engineer proved the problem existed.

sent from www.autocrash.com

·
Registered
95 Posts
If I understand clearly. The problem is it will not crank at all or very weak? If so did they check for a parasitic draw?
Try leaving the battery disconnected for 8 plus hr and see the outcome.
Good luck

If u don't know how it works u can't fix it......Sent from my titan
I second leaving the battery disconnected. My brther-in-law had similar problem with a Nissan optima. He was leaving battery cable off so it would start next morning. turned out that the alternator was dragging it down if it sat too long. good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I checked my plugs yesterday and some are pretty bad from where I didn't change them again after my smoking issue was resolved. I'm going to change all of them today, do a compression test, and check my alternator.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts