Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 2wd with all stock suspension. I noticed it has been leaking power steering fluid. I found it leaking right where the steering shaft goes into the steering rack. Does the whole rack have to be changed or is there just a seal or something in there that I can change out.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Seems like I've seen a seal rebuild kit listed for our racks, but then again I've always been of the mind that it's easier and usually gives better results to get a remanufactured unit and replace the whole rack. The time it takes to dig in and replace the seals and the relative failure rate of rebuilding at home is more than I'm willing to invest.

·
Registered
511 Posts
There a few on-line re-builders that do swaps for your core rack...not usually wallet busting deals and they have warranties. If you live near a large city, you probably have a few rebuild shops within a reasonable drive that do the same type of deals and you have a local resource if something goes south down the road.

these guys are like the 'Jasper Engines' of rebuilt steering......Lares Corporation

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
reman racks SUCK. i'm on my 3rd. its brand new and making whining noises.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Is this a common failure in the location mine is leaking ? I've seen a few post where they split but I have not saw any that leak under the shift linkage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The reman rack I installed awhile back started leaking in the same spot over a year ago. I tried Lucas power steering stop leak and ended up returning it and getting my money back.
A friend of mine told me about Blue Devil power steering stop leak which just happened to be available at Autozone.
I used about 3/4 of the bottle and it immediately stopped the leak and eliminated the whining noise. Hasn't been an issue since.

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Steering linkage not shift linkage.
mine was leaking there too.

Current rack is leaking out the end on the driver side.

It sounds like it all comes down to whatever seals/parts the machine shops are using to rebuild the racks. so...hit or miss. Pointless to have a lifetime warranty if the truck is down every other month cause the rack is leaking.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Pointless to have a lifetime warranty if the truck is down every other month cause the rack is leaking.
FYI only three things cause whining power steering...air entrained in the fluid, bad or wrong fluid, a pump with issues (failing). I've never heard a rack groan without one of these three being the culprit.

Personally, I'll take a lifetime warranty over any other type:big_grin:

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
its got a bad seal so i'm guessing its allowing air into the system. goes back to the shop thursday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts