Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to solve a steering problem for months. Steering is vague and constant attention to keep it between the lines. Truck has 90k miles and is 13 years old so I went ahead and replaced struts, upper and lower control arms, replaced rack with low mileage unit, new intermediate shaft, new tires. 2 alignments and no real difference other than the ever present clunk is gone. The only thing I can think of at this point is the steering coupler (rag joint). I can see and feel some give when I turn the wheel in either direction but I don't know what amount of play should be there. It is only a 60 dollar part so that's a drop in the bucket at this point.

Has anyone replaced the coupler or know how much play should be there? For reference, if I put my finger between the the metal brackets on the coupler and tug the wheel it smashes against my finger pretty hard.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As stated replaced rack with low mileage unit. Also replaced wheel bearings. Everything replaced from intermediate shaft to the road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea two alignments. I ordered the rag joint from nissanpartsdeal. Courtesy nissan lists it as discontinued so I'm hoping they can round one up. Now its only available with the column assembly. I'd machine a piece of aluminum before I'd go that route. Does anyone know anything about rag joints. I see a lot of people replacing them on older camaros on you tube.

I'm thinking that I've worn it out by always pulling myself into the truck by the steering wheel. Since the wheel is hardly ever locked it puts all the stress on that rubber piece.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If your caster if it is not correct will cause the truck to drift. I know you had two alignments but that does not mean that it is correct. Have you looked at the before and after specs to see if they adjusted anything. Allot of alignment shops will adjust the toe and call it a day (because it make the wheel straight and people think it is good). Take it to a competent recommended shop and I bet it is off. This is just my advice as I have been down this road before also.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
You change your tie rods? I had slack in my steering after 100k miles, changed my outer tie rods, tightened up immensely. I know you said you changed the rack, but didn't mention tie rods. The ball joints in the old rods were so worn you could easily move them with your hands.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually had replaced them in the old rack with no change. Then I put the salvage rack with 40k miles in with the tie rods that came with it. They seemed tight as could be so I didn't swap them out. If the new rag joint doesn't fix it I'll swap those back out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree one more alignment might be in order. I didn't get the specs but told them I wanted as much positive caster as possible. Around here I don't think there is what you would call a reputable shop - lol! I think I'll take it to Nissan for the alignment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
ak2030
Nissan Titan Forum
Nissan Titan Talk Forum is a community for truck owners to discuss the Titan Cummins, Warrior, Midnight Edition and more!
Full Forum Listing