Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys go ahead and laugh now. Its been a long time since I did anything but wash and wax my truck. With my new to me T I want to keep it looking great for a loooong time. What are the steps to get a great result? From what I have seen its
1. Wash good
2. Clay bar
3. Polish
4. Wax

Not sure if I have 3 and 4 in the right order. Also its a Black T so what is your preference on product. Something I can get from a local parts place please. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
OK guys go ahead and laugh now. Its been a long time since I did anything but wash and wax my truck. With my new to me T I want to keep it looking great for a loooong time. What are the steps to get a great result? From what I have seen its
1. Wash good
2. Clay bar
3. Polish
4. Wax

Not sure if I have 3 and 4 in the right order. Also its a Black T so what is your preference on product. Something I can get from a local parts place please. Thanks in advance guys.
Congrats on the new Titan! The steps you listed are right on the money. Product selection and technique are the next obstacles. Are you planning on purchasing a machine or applying the polish/wax/sealant by hand?

Reactions: Skyboi

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on doing it by hand. I have heard too many horror stories of burning paint with a power buffer. I have always been a fan of Mother's and Meguires. I will probably go with a meguires product.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Save yourself the arm ache and get a Porter Cable 7424xp.. they are awesome and its near impossible to burn through paint with it.

You're going to kill yourself trying to get the polish off that truck by hand. I've tried that once. Never again will I try to do that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree with ^^^^. My 7424 is the way to go. and after the first time you polish the T, you will notice how easy it is to keep it clean. Just by pilishing and sealing you can use a QD to keep it slick and shiny.

Mine is Galaxy Black and it looks GOOOOOOD when its all dressed up.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK guys I think Im gonna break down and get this buffer. What kind of pads should I get? I need one for swirl and scratch remover, then on for waxing then one for polishing? How long do the pads last? I see all different brands of pads. Does the local pep boys sale what I need?

·
Registered
256 Posts
OK guys I think Im gonna break down and get this buffer. What kind of pads should I get? I need one for swirl and scratch remover, then on for waxing then one for polishing? How long do the pads last? I see all different brands of pads. Does the local pep boys sale what I need?
I just use your normal orbital machine, light weight and easy to use..I got mine for like $50. I use microfiber bonnets to apply and remove waxes and polish.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I used to wash my T every weekend. Not anymore. The T is too big, ha. Washed my sister's civic the other day. Couldn't believe how quick and easy it was. Took me 3.5 hours to wash and wax the T that same day. Then again, I had a lot of dirt/mud in and out of the truck...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What tha fuc[< ^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am glad to see that everyone recommended a decent buffer/polisher I cant even begin to tell you how much time and headache this will save you. My favorite combination is to wash with Optimum car wash soap/ dry with microfiber waffle weave towel/and put a coat of Menzerna Powerlock sealant on with my buffer. I would also suggest washing with a nice microfiber wash mitt and grit guard in your wash bucket. Do not buy a wool mitt they seem to scratch the s*** out of my paint. I buy all my stuff at detailedimage.com

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
Check out Adams, site sponsor as well, they usually run pretty good package deals and you can get a percentage off. Adam's Porter Cable Machine Polishing Products And http://www.titantalk.com/forums/adams-premium-car-care-products/74847-save-10-everyday.html I will be ordering their '3 step' along with clay bar and some other stuff in the next week probably. I have one of the PC machines, I just bought it before I really knew about adams. It took me a weekend with a different, cheaper, product to detail the truck, looks really good once your done though!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys the PC arrived last night and I'm ready to try it out. I bought all Meguires products for the detailing. What speeds do I need to use on the buffer? I have seen online videos but not all of them talk about the speed settings. I will do the following:
1 clay bar
2 Ultimate compound
3 Ultimate polish
4 NXT wax

What speed for each of the above 2-4?

The truck is Galaxy and has some small scratches and spider webbing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If I were you stick with a medium speed also never leave the buffer in one spot always keep it moving and if you have the plastic painted belt trim buff really lightly at low speeds the paint seems to be extra sh*ty like it didn't adhere well to the plastic.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
Dude, I did the meguirs route last year...I broke down this year and just invested in the adams stuff. It's slightly pricey, but it's all made in USA and I haven't come across a product that wasn't awesome. Plus they have a 110% money back guarantee.

·
Premium Member
77,852 Posts
1. Do not use that compound unless your paint is FUBAR, or you'll nearly make it so. Yes, it removes light scratches, because it hazes the clear coat. Beware. Sometimes it's not a quick fix after that.
2. Pad firmness/cut and knowing what the product will do, determines rpms on a DA
3. Polish is to remove contaminants. It usually contains varieties of petroleum distillates and is for "cleaning" the paint.
4. Soft carnuba waxes and the liquid synthetics are fine for after every wash, when used with the appropriate application technique.
5. Balls-to-the-walls buffing like it's a grinder does nothing to enhance the paint's finish. Control and finesse are a must.

·
Premium Member
77,852 Posts
I really like Adam's Revive polish and In-and-Out spray. There are others, but speaking of sponsors.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am thinking of having my truck painted since it seems to scratch or chip from a feather touch. Anyone else got this problem or is it just my color that is like that. Arctic White.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Even though I usually have the car wash guys wash my T for $15.00, this has been a very useful thread, like most on this forum. T-Talk rocks. I think the main reason I would purchase the kit with the buffer is so I dont have to pay $250 next time I want my T washed, waxed and polished. I just don't seem to have the time to regularly wash my truck myself. Although I guess I would find more time if I spent the money on the products. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts