Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I just got my Tech12volt box, and now I am debating on whether or not I should install it or have a shop do it. I have done an install once before, but that was over 5 years ago. Also, I know if I do the isntall it will void any warranty from JL on my subs. BUt i just called one shop that i've had my headunit and focal compenents installed by, and they wanted $170+tax, they said its $60, plus any wires I need and i told them i need everything and I guess that comes out to $170. I think I am going to check around in Houston to other places I've been, such as Custom Car Stereo and Tweeter.

However, what is everyone's opinion on doing the install myself?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
How Do there MrJonMan,

I was not aware of the fact that hooking up woofers would void a JL warranty. That seems to be a fairly crappy practice on thier part. Of course it is in line with the whole "AbsoluteMostMoneyProfitedOffAnyOneItem" theory they run that company on. LOL

You just have to run the speaker wire and put the box in? or did you also need to tie in an amp with adjusting the settings?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bhudda,

Well, the whole voided warranty thing is because it isn't being installed by a certified installer and so it voids the warranty. also, yes I need to run the amp and everything, if it were just the subs then I could easily do that, but its running the wires and everything for the amp that makes me a little weary.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Well, IMHO if you are pleased with the job that shop did on your system to date. Use them again. Repeat customers being the life blood of any business. They will also be the ones you can drop in the grease should something pop because of shoddy work. In the overall picture, $60 bucks is pretty stinkin cheap to install an amp. I get it that they are adding for wiring and what not. Have you looked into the cost of wiring lately? Chit ain't cheap.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, thus far they havent done me wrong, and I was figuring if I was to buy all the stuff to do it myself i would be looking to spend some between $50-$100 on materials. So that means they are saying $110 in materials, which I imagine woulod be quality stuff and worth the price.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
MrJonMan said:
yea, thus far they havent done me wrong, and I was figuring if I was to buy all the stuff to do it myself i would be looking to spend some between $50-$100 on materials. So that means they are saying $110 in materials, which I imagine woulod be quality stuff and worth the price.
i would say at that price take it to shop if they do good work. Thats cheap and get the price quote in writing. i will give you guys some advice the car audio industry is an all time low right now. i get 6 to 10 calls a day from companies wanting me to buys stuff. I actually got a call from select products. These guiys in past years have acted like they were doing you a favor when you called them wanting to buy something .Now they call me atleast twice a week checking to see if i need anything. These guys only sell audio install stuff and they have no business.Shops are going to have to shape up or customers will not come back

·
Registered
16 Posts
It seems like the car audio industry has its ups and downs. When I first got into car audio in the mid 90's, car audio was selling like crazy and a couple years later, those same car audio companies where going out of business. Not to mention these days a lot of audio installers are doing a lot of shady work.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
That price is reasonable but ONLY if they do a good job. There is a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself eventhough it can be a lot of work. At least when you do it yourself you are learning and know what you have. After seeing some of the installs that shops have done it scares me to have anyone work on my truck!

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Installing a JL sub yourself will not void the warranty. Buying a sub from an unauthorized dealer will void the warranty. Most JL products that come from unauthorized dealers will not have serial numbers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
P-Dizzle said:
Installing a JL sub yourself will not void the warranty. Buying a sub from an unauthorized dealer will void the warranty. Most JL products that come from unauthorized dealers will not have serial numbers.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that, I guess that what I get for assuming that just because they void the warranty when not bought by an authorized dealer, that they also need to be installed by an authorized installer. Either way, the install is going to have to wait a week or two, bc money is spoken for at the moment.....between the truck payment, cable & utility bills, yesterday being the anniversary for the significant other's and I, and then its her bday next week, money is running thin in my part of town.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts