Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since owning the truck for a month or so I've started to notice the weaker links in the Titan, first and foremost the stereo. Mine only came equipped with the 6 CD changer non RF unit, which I could not stand. I had all these components hanging around other than the head unit so thought I'd take the time to upgrade the stocker.

I'll consider this phase 1 as it consists of a head unit, amplifier and subwoofer. Phase 2 will be a set of 6.5" components up front and a backup camera.

For power I ran a length of Phoenix Gold 4Ga power through the grommet found behind the inner fender well, passenger side. It's for the antenna wire but the hole easily accommodates the 4ga. I removed the stock grommet, wrapped both wires in electrical tape and sealed it with silicone.

The ground wire I attached to the center seat mount. I dremeled all the paint off the bolt and washer and made a nice connection.

The amp I'm using is leftover from a previous install, it's a Clarion APX4361 that was designed by Robert Zeff. Nicely laid out board and lots of clean output. Ironically it was as if it was designed for the space under the passenger seat, the notches fit perfectly around the vent, wicked! It will put out 320 watts to the sub bridged while the remaining 2 channels will feed the front components, 90 watts respectively.

The subwoofer is an MTX FPR10-04 in a preloaded enlcosure. It receives 320 watts @ 4 ohm for the amp. It fits nicely but at only .4 cu ft, it is over damped and has limited extension. I'll be building a more suitable enclosure but for now it works well enough.

Headunit is a Kenwood DDX373BT, i love the fact that it has a 13 band EQ at this price point. Using an RTA I was able to get the output relatively flat across the spectrum. I used the Metra 7406 dash kit and it fit surprisingly well. Paint color is a little off but more than acceptable by my standards.

That's it so far... Once I find a set of budget components I like I'll update as I go. :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hey bud. Not trying to down your work. You seriously need a fuse on the power wire at the battery. Also you should have a grommet anytime wire passes thru metal. Other than that looks good

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey bud. Not trying to down your work. You seriously need a fuse on the power wire at the battery. Also you should have a grommet anytime wire passes thru metal. Other than that looks good
The fuse is located just behind the power steering reservoir, hard to see in the pics. I agree on the grommet. Unfortunately No one local to me had anything that would fit without opening the hole a good half inch. I don't have bits that big so was kind of stuck. I'm pretty confident in it bring protected, but I do agree.

Any recommendations on a component set in the 120 range?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
For a little over 200.00 you can get a nice set of PPI 3 ways. Best bang for the buck. I have beat people with $2000.00 sets with them.
Sorry, I didn't see the fuse in the pic. You would be surprised how many people don't think to use one and burn their cars up..

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
o_rod - good work man, good pics. I seriously need to do a stereo upgrade but RESPONSIBLE ADULT DAD STUFF lame excuses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For a little over 200.00 you can get a nice set of PPI 3 ways. Best bang for the buck. I have beat people with $2000.00 sets with them.
Sorry, I didn't see the fuse in the pic. You would be surprised how many people don't think to use one and burn their cars up..
I'll look into those. Been over a decade since my db drag days, I've been out of the loop and companies seemed to have gone mainstream, I can't tell what's quality anymore without being able to audition anything. I'd never think to run anything without a fuse, I'd be terrified to start the truck lol

Blevinger - Thanks, it's a fun project and luckily had this stuff lying around. I hear you on the dad stuff, all this was done late nights after the family was in bed, only garage time I get anymore!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts