Sway-A-Way Coilovers on the Front
Bilstein 5125 Shocks on the Rear
Total Chaos (-3/4") Shackles
PRG Traction Bars
PRG Driveshaft Spacer
the Pro Comp 3" lift block on rear
original U-Joints and CV Joints
1 degree pinion angle shims on rear axle

Issue... had been running the truck with 35x12.50's for the past 2 years. In November I decided to put the original wheels/tires back on for the winter-- the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's.

Since doing so, I've noticed a much more sever drivetrain/driveline vibration issue. It can best be described as such:

Once you are rolling along, pressing the gas will result in sort of a whine/humm sound along with vibrating. As soon as you let off the gas and are coasting, both the whine/humm sound and the vibration stop. This tells me that it is occurring when the system is under a load.

Any thoughts or ideas fellas? There was a slight vibration/humm with the 35" tires, but it has increased significantly since changing to the other wheels/tires. My thought is that the larger tires (more rubber) sort of dampened the vibration, disguising the issue better.

I think once the weather breaks, I'm gonna swap out all four U-Joints.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't hurt. And yes, it sucks to be outside, under the truck, when it is below freezing with some wind.
yeah, eff that. I only drive the truck when the weather is bad anyways. Which has been the past two days. We got a foot of snow here yesterday! woo hoo

·
Registered
128 Posts
go on a long drive and see how hot your diff cover gets.. cause my rearend is doing the same thing and i drove it about 80 miles yesterday and felt the diff cover and i couldnt even touch it it was so hot. the vibration is so bad now it sounds like hammers are banging in side my rearend. it only vibrates when i accelerate hard, and only humms at 40+ mph

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sound as if there is too much play or not the right angle in your drive shaft somewhere. I think your on the right track, when it warms up where you live go under and start inspecting. Good luck let us know what you find out....

·
Registered
745 Posts
I bet the bolts holding the driveshaft to the slip yoke are loose...mine done the same thing, got so bad it would nearly vibrate your teeth out of your head. Thought it was my joints, got under and looked and all 4 bolts backed out with just my fingers. I used the blue lock tite and put them back in, all was good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts