Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've posted on Titan talk. My 04 Titan is still going strong but my plastic radiator inevitably cracked so I ordered a Stillen. Installing it was a little tricky but in hindsight not too bad.

I initially filled it with water to check for leaks, after two day I drained the water and added the proper mix of coolant. The drain plug came out nice and easy and went back in just as easily, I was able to thread it in 80% of the way by hand. I then used the little shorty screwdriver to tighten it (see picture).

Well somehow I pinched the little gasket and had a slight drip. So I loosen up the bolt a little to un-pinch the gasket. Well about 1/4 way out I'm feeling some resistance that shouldn't be there. It gets progressively worse to the point I can't take the bolt out or tighten it.

Basically it galled up and I realize i'm $%^& :(. I've worked with stainless bolts in the past and am familiar with galling.

I know I got maybe one shot before it freezes completely up. I make the decision to just go for broke, tighten it up and hope it don't leak. I break out the 6 point socket and go for it. I almost got it, it was just about to make contact with the gasket when the bolt head snapped off :crying:.

I was about to drill it out and tap it a size larger but then I thought, let me check to see if it's still leaking. Amazingly it's not leaking! Apparently I mashed the threads so badly they fused together. I suspect it may start dripping in the future but for now I'll just an eye on it. If anything it buys me some time to get the right bolt and tap.

Anyway the point of my post is to warn you guys to use some anti seize compound if you ever remove the drain bolt. The bolt is made out of a very soft aluminum, I don't know what caused it to gaull up? but once it did the head snapped off with surprisingly little force. I'm not sure if tefon tape would of helped prevent the galling but it couldn't of hurt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This just happened to me. Took it in to get a new tap and bolt. They told me they don't recommend doing that. So next time to flush I need to remove the bottom radiator hose.
What did you do? I am sure this has happened to others.
-tom

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
That drain plug is piss poor IMO as I had leak also and just made a new oring gasket out of harder material and used plenty of permatex to stop the drip.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This just happened to me. Took it in to get a new tap and bolt. They told me they don't recommend doing that. So next time to flush I need to remove the bottom radiator hose.
What did you do? I am sure this has happened to others.
-tom
same thing happened to me. Drilled out plug without removing radiator, tapped 1/4in pipe, put in brass plug with pet**** (used Teflon tape), everything works great so far.

·
Registered
346 Posts
so I guess im not alone...Just installed a new Stillen 3 Row radiator and the wing nut on the drain plug will not tighten! It just spins...and leaks?? Not sure what I'm supposed to do now?

·
Premium Member
20,596 Posts
I threw away the drain plug that came with my CSF 3328 and put in a Qwik Drain Valve (aka Fumoto Valve). I can now drain the radiator fluid when it is at operating temperature without getting burned.

To solve the spinning problem, try wrapping the plug threads with Teflon tape. Be sure you don't get it on the tip of the plug. You don't want Teflon tape running through your cooling system.

If that doesn't work I think you'll need to tap the threads and find a larger plug to fit.

Reactions: b2sdad

·
Premium Member
20,596 Posts
you have a part # for the fumoto drain plug HRTKD??
Sorry, it was far enough back that I don't remember. All you have to do it take the CSF plug to a hardware store and get the thread details on it. Then find the matching thread type online.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I threw away the drain plug that came with my CSF 3328 and put in a Qwik Drain Valve (aka Fumoto Valve). I can now drain the radiator fluid when it is at operating temperature without getting burned.
that right there!
I used the gasket that was supplied with the fumoto valve, a little bit of sealant on the threads/gasket and done. added a short bent hose to the nipple and it was the neatest radiator draining method ever. I just recently worked on the collant system and didn`t have a ton gushing out all over the place. it was a nice controlled flow into a clean pan, done and done...:wink:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UT822G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
20,596 Posts
you have a part # for the fumoto drain plug HRTKD??
Thinking about this a bit more, I think I posted the actual thread size and maybe even the part number on another thread. I'll look around and see if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
20,596 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The Fumoto F103N valve for the Stillen/CSF 3328 all-aluminum radiator sounds like a good modification at first glance. But a concern that comes to mind with mixing two metals, brass and aluminum, and the galvanic electochemical action that may result from different metals in a wet/hot environment. For those that have used the Fumoto valve with all-aluminum radiators, have you seen any problems with this mix?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts