Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08.5 titan with a bullydog and non-big tow, and a anderson rapid hitch, yesterday i towed a bobcat 180 with tracks and bucket rated at 9000 lbs, and my trailer was an 18 ft tandem axle that weighs 2500 lbs, while loading, the bobcat lifted the front end of the trailer which in turn LIFTED THE REAR END (tires) OF MY TRUCK A FOOT AND A HALF OFF THE GROUND. No exageration. I didnt have an electric brake controller but wasnt going but 10 miles one way, you would be suprised at how well the truck pulled it, centered on the trailer of course. My titan did a very respectable job accelerating and stopping my 11,500 lb load. i made sure i stayed farrrrrrr back from anyone just in case though.. but i was very happy with my truck yesterday! beast!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 08.5 titan with a bullydog and non-big tow, and a anderson rapid hitch, yesterday i towed a bobcat 180 with tracks and bucket rated at 9000 lbs, and my trailer was an 18 ft tandem axle that weighs 2500 lbs, while loading, the bobcat lifted the front end of the trailer which in turn LIFTED THE REAR END (tires) OF MY TRUCK A FOOT AND A HALF OFF THE GROUND. No exageration. I didnt have an electric brake controller but wasnt going but 10 miles one way, you would be suprised at how well the truck pulled it, centered on the trailer of course. My titan did a very respectable job accelerating and stopping my 11,500 lb load. i made sure i stayed farrrrrrr back from anyone just in case though.. but i was very happy with my truck yesterday! beast!
wooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Pleaseee tell me you snapped a pick?? ill bet your rear end was SLAMMED to the ground lol

·
Registered
917 Posts
Pleaseee tell me you snapped a pick?? ill bet your rear end was SLAMMED to the ground lol
No, he said he had the bobcat centered on the trailer so no more than 300lbs on the bumper is my guess. But, that is a good thing to know about the 11000lbs but if you plan on doing that again I would defiantly suggest a trailer brake system...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I would also suggest PM'ing me and letting me know exactly where and when you will be driving next time you plan on exceeding the weight allowance on a non-tow Titan and driving with no brake controller. I want to make sure that myself and everyone I care about are nowhere near where you will be towing. That's just not safe!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would say people have been doing these short trips for years that exceed spec's, whether payload, trailer weight or what have you. That's why we have our trucks.

No harm, no foul.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm with NBhunter80. I also see a few problems other than the obvious overweight issue and illegal issue.

1. Even if the tong weight were around 300 lbs, did you stop to consider that even with the load centered over the axles, when you slow down the weight transfers forward to your hitch. During deceleration I guarantee that tong load spiked WAY up there.

I was going to continue the list but the more I think about the longer the list gets. I will leave it at this. Towing without any brake control, that far overweight on a half ton truck without a tow package, was not only dangerous for you and everyone around you but was irresponsible and illegal, regardless of the distance traveled. Your lucky you or someone else wasn't seriously injured or worse. (IMHO)

P.S. most car accidents occur within 5 miles of home.

As far as the No harm no foul comment..... just because someone fires a gun into a crowd of people and no one was hit by the bullet doesn't mean that shooting into a crowd of people was OK. That analogy may seem a little extreme, but 1 bullet can only cause so much damage. How much damage do you suppose 16,487 lbs of truck, trailer, and bobcat moving at 40 mph could cause if something went wrong.

I'm sure I'll get called all sorts of names for this post, but I'll bet more people agree with me than disagree. I don't mean to start a pissing contest or rain on your parade, but please think about what you doing a little more next time, and if your going to tow a load that size, use a truck that's made for it. Borrow one from a buddy or rent one. a 3/4 ton truck doesn't cost that much to rent, and realistically, would you rather pay a few hundred $ for a tuck, or thousands of $ in possible fines, legal fees, lawsuits, medical bills, and possibly serve some jail time????????????

I think I made my point.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Any time someone posts about towing, all the wet blankets come out of their garbage cans to critique the post and scold the o.p. For anything they can. There's some seriously whiney, know it all sons of *****es on here. Get a life, and let it go. Just cause your Pansy @ss wouldn't do it, doesn't mean he's trying to kill people.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Agreed, no one cares for whiners. :crying:

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I'm with you guys! That's awesome that it towed so easy! And like the dude said, only ten miles down the road one way. Who really cares, he know's the risks of doing this. Let it be! Pics would be awesome though!

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
And how many cars were sharing that road at the same time ? If any they were all at risk... Its cool that the T is a best but i would rather not loose my family to a overloaded Truck and im sure you wouldn't want to loose everthing you and if you have a family has including about 20 yrs of your life from being locked up behind bars...

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Good lord, no one can post anything anymore without a bunch a whinning, sometimes to get a job done you have to do what you have to do....What has happened to this forum......To the OP, just goes to show you that you made an awesome purchase in the Titan, it is a beast of a truck and has some amzing torque. I'm glad it served you well, this truck CAN actually some serious work

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Being safe and whining are too different things...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Being safe and winning are too different things...
What winning are you talking about? Farmers have been doing this for a hundred years.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Or, are you trying to say whining?

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Here's another example to help you add more worry to our already worry-some America...Have you considered the amount of semi's on the road today? I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, the average big rig can haul in the 40+ thousand pound range...But what about the guys that get paid by tonnage...Do you really think that they run legal each and every day? Certainly not! Most run about 30k over because they get paid more! So you want to worry about the half ton truck that drove 10 miles hauling a singe piece of gear, or do you want to worry about the semi driver that rolls down the road at 90k pounds everyday for many miles on end. I understand the point, don't haul things over your limit, but it happens literally every single day, all around you. All the guy wanted to say, was his truck is awesome and he's proud of it! Just leave it at that already!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's another example to help you add more worry to our already worry-some America...Have you considered the amount of semi's on the road today? I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, the average big rig can haul in the 40+ thousand pound range...But what about the guys that get paid by tonnage...Do you really think that they run legal each and every day? Certainly not! Most run about 30k over because they get paid more! So you want to worry about the half ton truck that drove 10 miles hauling a singe piece of gear, or do you want to worry about the semi driver that rolls down the road at 90k pounds everyday for many miles on end. I understand the point, don't haul things over your limit, but it happens literally every single day, all around you. All the guy wanted to say, was his truck is awesome and he's proud of it! Just leave it at that already!

Exactly. If you want to complain to someone about over-weight, unsafe vehicles towing crap on our tax funded roadways, contact NAFTA about what they want to allow Mexico to transport UNREGULATED here in the USA.

I have a friend that drives a big rig and hauls dirt around town for a construction company. They ALWAYS over load him for the sake of saving time and money. Not his choice though, just doin his job.

The guy said he was safe, gave himself plenty of braking distance and put his weight where it belonged. He didnt say he was racing Civic's or trying to break a land speed record. Go to the War Stories section and complain about the guys racing anything that lines up next to them at every stoplight on the way home from work.

We've all had our moments of questionable driving decisions, dont be so quick to pass the judgment.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Exactly. If you want to complain to someone about over-weight, unsafe vehicles towing crap on our tax funded roadways, contact NAFTA about what they want to allow Mexico to transport UNREGULATED here in the USA.

I have a friend that drives a big rig and hauls dirt around town for a construction company. They ALWAYS over load him for the sake of saving time and money. Not his choice though, just doin his job.

The guy said he was safe, gave himself plenty of braking distance and put his weight where it belonged. He didnt say he was racing Civic's or trying to break a land speed record. Go to the War Stories section and complain about the guys racing anything that lines up next to them at every stoplight on the way home from work.

We've all had our moments of questionable driving decisions, dont be so quick to pass the judgment.
I have my CDL and have driven Belly Dumps, Im sure your friend knows he would have to pay the piper if he got inspected or in a accident not the company he's working for, there is No way in hell i would risk running a over weight semi... I can tell you all those trucks coming over the border get weighed at least. But i think its crap about the whole NAFTA thing and agree with you for the most part..

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
LOL do we really need to compare a semi to a 1/2 ton truck? Like it is even valid. Lets see, Titan towing 4,000lbs over it's tow rating and I find it hard to believe it wold have a 300lb tongue weight with 11000lbs behind it with no weight distribution (FWIW owners manual calls out to use WD when towing over 5,000lbs), on who knows what hitch set up and no brakes to boot. On the other hand we have a purpose built hauler with chassis and braking to match heavy loads over loaded. I think I'd take my chances with the semi.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts